PDA

View Full Version : deck that doesn't get sun bleached?

brian1g
04-20-2004, 03:51 PM
hey guys, i just bought the alpine cda-9827 deck and i'm tired of
not being able to see the screen . anybody got a good deck that
doesn't get bleached out? i am returning the alpine to cc tomorrow so i kinda would like to get a deck that they carry. any suggestions?

dsj
04-20-2004, 07:46 PM
FWIW, I have an old model kenwood HU with the variable color display. The display is backlit, so when the sun shines directly on it, the LCD display can still be read. The current model is the KDC-MPV5025. A side bonus would be that one of the colors probably closely matches the dash lighting - I don't know because I haven't installed mine in the EP3, but I found a green that matched my Subaru dash lighting.

brian1g
04-21-2004, 06:33 AM
thanks for the heads up dsj, i notice now that most of the kenwood and pioneer decks come backlit (wonder why alpine doesn't ?) so maybe that will help. hopefully cc will have the mpv5025 in stock so i can check it out. i'll post again after i get the new deck.

sd_black_02_si
04-21-2004, 05:16 PM
I have an ECLIPSE 8052 and It does not wash out that much. I am an installer some of the worst decks to wash out are Alpine and Pioneer. JVC is good so are the Eclipse decks.

brian1g
04-21-2004, 06:12 PM
well guys, i traded my alpine 9827 today and got the pioneer 6600. like sd_black_02_si stated most all the alpine decks wash out and the pioneer decks wash out except the pioneer deh-p6600. this deck has "organic oel display" it looks really bright and doesn't get sunbleached bad at all. the alpine sounded a little better but the 6600 has a better display for ep owners. anyway, if any of you guys are looking for a really nice looking deck that doesn't sun bleach too bad may want to check this one out :) . i have heard nothing but good about eclipse and they look really good but where can you buy them?

bobdobbs
04-21-2004, 06:18 PM
For me sound quality is more important than a pretty display.

brian1g
04-21-2004, 06:41 PM
for me if i spend $250 on a deck it damn well better sound good and i had better be able to see the pretty display :rolleyes: . the sound quality of two decks are almost equal that is if you can see the alpine display good enough to set it up right :D .

the JigGa mAn
04-22-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
For me sound quality is more important than a pretty display.

brian1g
04-22-2004, 06:40 AM
MY DISPLAY WAS PITCH BLACK!! my brother thought it was on blackout mode and the guy at cc thought the display went out!! maybe i just got a bad model for our car? can you guys see your display at all? this isn't sound quality vs. a "pretty display" it is more like similar sound quality vs. NO DISPLAY.

Jay H
04-22-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by brian1g
MY DISPLAY WAS PITCH BLACK!! my brother thought it was on blackout mode and the guy at cc thought the display went out!! maybe i just got a bad model for our car? can you guys see your display at all? this isn't sound quality vs. a "pretty display" it is more like similar sound quality vs. NO DISPLAY.

I just installed an Alpine 9825 which (IMO) seems to have the same or very similar display as the 9827. In direct sunlight, my display is basically unreadable. It's washed out. Definitely has to do with the upward angle that we have to mount our head units in our EP's and how Alpine has designed this display. Plus, the deck mounting in our EP's does not angle towards the driver any to help this situation either.

I'm not sure what to do either with my head unit... Return it for another, more expensive Alpine or live with it since I got it for $160 from Crutchfield...

bobdobbs
04-22-2004, 11:18 AM
Hmmm, I dunno. Here's a pic of my 9831 in afternoon sun. It's not bright and vibrant like it is at night, but it's usable.

http://www.italycars.net/DSCN0038_edited.jpg

Jay H
04-22-2004, 11:44 AM
bobdobbs: Great pic. I'd kill for even that much readability from my Alpine right now. It seems your display is different from mine.

Also, if I move over and look directly at my display from the middle of the car, it's a really nice display. But, at the angle it's mounted, it's not too readable.

brian1g
04-22-2004, 03:45 PM
yeah, that wouldn't have bothered me at all!!

fsugatorbait
04-23-2004, 01:33 PM
My Clarion 835 gets tough to read during the day too, but after a while you just get used to it.

Me ep3
04-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Its the dam angle of the dash too.

Jay H
04-23-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Me ep3
Its the dam angle of the dash too.

Yep, that's 90% of the problem...