PDA

View Full Version : Are our stock tires on the 02-03 EPs Directional or Non-Directional?

potator
04-20-2004, 06:12 PM
I searched but didn't come up with any answers. I apologize if I just didn't look hard enough. But can anyone tell me?

darkvibe
04-20-2004, 06:24 PM
If no one can tell you in like half hour i'll go look at mine in the basement for a rotation arrow. I'm lazy and they are buried under stuff.

If you are asking because you want to rotate them between opposite corners, don't. Once a tire is on the car rotating one way, don't change direction. If you need to rotate the tires, swap the 2 left tires with each other then do the same on the right. They always end up wearing weird if you do it.

civic hatch boi
04-20-2004, 06:26 PM
non directional. u can put them any way u want

potator
04-20-2004, 06:38 PM
I just rotated them diagonally. The front left tire went to the rear right, etc. I rotated them with a friend, and we just assumed they're non-directional. From what you can see on the tire's treads, they look to be so. But I looked in the manual, and it didn't say whether the stock tires are directional or not. They just said to rotate them diagonally if they aren't, and rotate them from front to back if they are. Are you sure that you shouldn't rotate them diagonally, even if the manual tells you so? This is my first tire rotation by the way, at 9,795 miles. (Manual said to do it at 10,000.)

darkvibe
04-20-2004, 06:56 PM
I'm just going from personal experience on other cars i have owned. Seems that if i rotate diagonaly i always develop some bump or vibration or weird wear pattern. Rotating front to back seems to have eliminated all those things. I don't exactly know why.

potator
04-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by darkvibe
I'm just going from personal experience on other cars i have owned. Seems that if i rotate diagonaly i always develop some bump or vibration or weird wear pattern. Rotating front to back seems to have eliminated all those things. I don't exactly know why.

I see, thanks for your insight. I'll see how this works out the way I just rotated them. And have you checked? Do you know if the stocks are directional or non-directional?

darkvibe
04-20-2004, 07:12 PM
I'll go look. If i don't post back in 10 minutes call 911 and tall them darkvibe is buried under a pile of shit in the basement.

darkvibe
04-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Ok stock michelan mxv4 have no arrow or anything. Doesnt matter what way you have them rotating.

potator
04-20-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by darkvibe
Ok stock michelan mxv4 have no arrow or anything. Doesnt matter what way you have them rotating.

Ok, so non-directional. *relief* Thanks a bunch for your help man. really appreciate it.

Jay H
04-20-2004, 07:39 PM
Our Si manual states that you should rotate non directional tires as such:

Front driver's side to rear driver's side.
Front passenger side to rear passenger side.

Rear passenger side to front driver side
Rear driver side to front passenger side

If you always rotate in this pattern, each tire gets a different position and direction on the car every time you rotate.

For years I've been rotating tires every 3000 miles using the above pattern and have never experienced any unusual wear patterns if my alignment is correct.

Jay
03 Si

potator
04-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Jay H
Our Si manual states that you should rotate non directional tires as such:

Front driver's side to rear driver's side.
Front passenger side to rear passenger side.

Rear passenger side to front driver side
Rear driver side to front passenger side

If you always rotate in this pattern, each tire gets a different position and direction on the car every time you rotate.

For years I've been rotating tires every 3000 miles using the above pattern and have never experienced any unusual wear patterns if my alignment is correct.

Jay
03 Si

You've got it mixed up there. You mean "Our Si manual states that you should rotate Directional tires as such"

*EDIT* I'm confused. I don't know which you were referring to because you stated two methods right after another.

In any case, our USDM manual (02) states that you should rotate Non-Directional tires (stock) by switching the front driver's side with the rear passenger's side, and the front passenger's side with the rear driver's side.

And it states you should switch the tires front and back on the same side only with Directional tires.

VividDreams
04-20-2004, 10:44 PM
potator, youre right, prolly just a typo on his part

if you ever get DIRECTIONAL tires, only rotate front to back. DO NOT rotate diagonally with directional tires. it screws up the tread plus doesnt allow them to evacuate water as well, which, is why they were made directional.

Jay H
04-21-2004, 05:56 AM
Sorry for the confusion on my post above. I agree with the fact that directional tires should be rotated from front to back on the same side of the car.

But, check out my written pattern above closely and the diagram in our owner's manual. It's correct.

Essentially, you'll move the front tires to the rear positions on the same side of the car. Then, the rear tires will be criss crossed to the front of the car. This way, each tire makes it way to each of the four positions on the car over time as you keep rotating tires.

It's kinda tricky to visualize at first, but it's a very effective pattern and many manufacturers recommend this.

Good Luck,

Jay
03 Si (http://www.jays911.com/Si.htm)

ranivus
04-21-2004, 11:19 AM
Toyo ZR-18's are directional :(