PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to cf parts just had them installed...

ranivus
04-21-2004, 11:05 AM
I just got a carbon creations CF Vader Hood and a CF Buddy Wing installed on my car on friday. The guy told me i have to drop the Hood at leat 2 feet for the latch to get in place instead of pushing it cause that casues spider cracking. I really dont want to do either of those methods so my questions are:

Should i just put hood pins to replace the OEM Hood latch?
and does anyone know any security systems that will be triggered if my hood gets popped open?

Other than that the parts look extremely nice except they cost an arm and a leg to ship from cali to vegas (about $250 just for shipping) Hopefully ill get my car detailed by friday and post some pics

ranivus
04-21-2004, 11:07 AM
Oh and about spider cracking.... i thought these things were supposed to be tough as nails? Why would there be spider cracking? its not like Carbon Creations is a crappy company.

dj addicted
04-21-2004, 12:58 PM
I personally do not have any CF on my car.. but a lot of people in my car club have CF and I have never seen any of them drop it from 2 feet up, they set it on the latch and give it a gentle push down and it latches...

I've never heard of CF spidercracking.. but keep in mind.. I dont have any CF myself

EnJaNir
04-21-2004, 01:12 PM
Personally I would find the appropriate distance and drop it....no need to push, just let go of the hood maybe 6-12in from the latch..and you should be good to go. Thats what I do, and I've had no problems what so ever..even through a midwest winter

Peking
04-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by ranivus
The guy told me i have to drop the Hood at leat 2 feet for the latch to get in place instead of pushing it cause that casues spider cracking. I really dont want to do either of those methods so my questions are:
Should i just put hood pins to replace the OEM Hood latch?
and does anyone know any security systems that will be triggered if my hood gets popped open?

Ok, loosen your latch release (three nuts I think) and raise it up some. Then you hood will latch on to the hood when closing. Pushing on the hood does not cause cracking, the "Spider Cracking" happens when drilling into the hood and the clear coat cracks. That usually happens when installing hood pins, so having a powerful drill is important.

The latch is fine, yet you should have hood pins any just in case. My carbon fiber hood is so light, that dropping it just makes it bounce of the latch release. So just push on it like you should be able to.

ranivus
04-22-2004, 09:05 AM
wow thanks guys that cleared up alot of stuff :)

VividDreams
04-22-2004, 10:35 AM
either way, i think in most states you have to have the OEM hood latch to be legal, meaning, hood pins alone wont make you legal

513n179
04-22-2004, 11:26 AM
as for your alarm question... you could get a hood pin connected to your alarm that'll go off if your hood is opened. can't slam the hood though. i've broken 2 of them.