PDA

View Full Version : shifting gears

mickey.si.cakes
04-21-2004, 06:37 PM
is the ep supposed to go into gear without pushing in the clutch? sounds like a dumb questions but if its not supposed to go into gear without the clutch....i have a problem....thanks in advance...

jake

skooba
04-21-2004, 06:41 PM
well you're supposed to push the clutch pedal down when you shift, but yeah, it can go into gear w/o using the pedal.

mickey.si.cakes
04-21-2004, 06:43 PM
is it bad for the tranny at all....i mean its not like i do it....i just happened to do it the other day....and just wanted to know if it was supposed to be capable of doing that and there be nothing wrong....thanks

jake

the JigGa mAn
04-22-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by mickey.si.cakes
is it bad for the tranny at all....i mean its not like i do it....i just happened to do it the other day....and just wanted to know if it was supposed to be capable of doing that and there be nothing wrong....thanks

jake

well you just voided your warranty, good luck with that

j/k:D

i have no idea if its bad for you trans

Siman
04-22-2004, 09:12 AM
does it just slip into gear without ANY force?

WHen the tech guys at honda replace my tranny, they didnt put the gears on the shaft properly...they put the bearing in backwards which caused the gears to come apart slowly......i could shift without using the clutch....though that only was a problem for 20 minutes....then i took it back to the dealership LMAO.....they fixed it...

I know you can take the tranny OUT OF GEAR without the clutch...but you must balance the rpms for the synchros to mesh into the gear to shift without the clutch....

Hatchtastic
04-22-2004, 12:43 PM
I am curious as to how this happened. Did you still have your foot on the gas? Dis you go to shift and forget about the clutch? I heard that alot of race cars have clutchless trans. I dunno souds like a stoner move to me:p

mini-driver
04-22-2004, 03:23 PM
it's not a problem in the tranny if you don't use the clutch. it's only a problem if you hear it!!!!!! grinding = bad silence = good. i can shift all day long in my 91 hatch without the clutch, i actually do it just for fun. in the ep3, no way. there really is no point. if you hear grinding, it's your syncronizers/balkrings or whatever they're called that are trying to hook up inside the gears, gears are always meshed together. they rotate around a shaft (layshaft maybe) and wait until you move the shaft into position (w/gearshifter)to lock the gear to the drive train. i said shaft..........(twice)!
ever heard the phrase "grind it 'til it fits? that's bad!

SiRacer03
04-22-2004, 03:44 PM
They had a thread about this a while back. Yes, it is possible for you to put it in gear without the clutch but it takes perfect timing.

halos02Si
04-22-2004, 03:47 PM
i whenever im slowing down in like 2nd i can usuaully slide it back into neutral without pressing on pedal, and from time to time you can do it, but like they said if you dont hear it grinding then i doubt you did any damage.

-breandly

mickey.si.cakes
04-23-2004, 10:06 AM
well it didnt happen when i was driving the car....it was parked.....with the car off and the car could go into gear without the clutch....i dont think i would be bold enough to try and put it into gear or take it out of gear without the clutch while driving.....also.....when slowly rolling forward should you be able to put your car in reverse easily without grinding....or should you be at a complete stop before putting it in reverse......and also....when rolling backwards....when i put it in reverse i get a grind...and i have to stop the car completely and put it in reverse.....is this how the tranny works.....thanks for everyones input.....

jake

mini-driver
04-23-2004, 11:49 AM
definitely stop completely to hit reverse!!! i learned that one the hardway as i pulled out from where i bought it! grind grind=bad bad

SiRRider
04-23-2004, 12:06 PM
I was talking to a Tech at Honda and he said that the SI(R) and the s2000 shouldnt be shifted without the clutch when the cars are off. It was 2 years ago now so I cant remember the whole convo but I do remember the clutch must be engaged or you can cause damage. Most cars you can shift without the clutch.

bobdobbs
04-23-2004, 02:04 PM
well it didnt happen when i was driving the car....it was parked.....with the car off and the car could go into gear without the clutch..
OMG. It amazes me people can drive cars every day and have no concept at all of how they work. Don't you care more than just "am I hurting something that might cause me to have to spend money?" You know, cars are really interesting and if you spend some time understanding how they work, you'll not only enjoy them more but you'll worry LESS about normal behavior.

bobdobbs
04-23-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by SiRRider
I was talking to a Tech at Honda and he said that the SI(R) and the s2000 shouldnt be shifted without the clutch when the cars are off. It was 2 years ago now so I cant remember the whole convo but I do remember the clutch must be engaged or you can cause damage. Most cars you can shift without the clutch.
BS

fishboy
04-23-2004, 02:23 PM
well it didnt happen when i was driving the car....it was parked.....with the car off and the car could go into gear without the clutch....
jake

hahahahaha about halfway through this post i started to wonder if your car was parked and not turned on. hahahahah

BarracksSi
04-25-2004, 01:03 AM
I might've posted this before, but here goes again:

One of Road & Track's editors once wrote about a well-known driver friend whose dad taught him & his brother how to drive a manual transmission by forcing them to not use the clutch.

They could use the clutch to get underway, but once rolling, they had to shift out of gear, match engine revs to road speed, then shift into the next gear... on an old prewar Ford WITHOUT SYNCROS.

Talk about grinding!

Anyway, after thoroughly training like this, the editor remarked that this guy made absolutely the smoothest shifts that he's ever felt. Perfect disengagement, smooth rev matching, and seamless clutch re-engagement. I really need to strive for those qualities more often.

It can be done, but be prepared to go through a couple sets of syncros (or worse) before you get good enough to do it daily. Or, get a beater car and learn on it instead.

emosubaru
04-25-2004, 08:42 AM
as long as you rev match, it's not that bad for the tranny but it shouldn't happen unless you TRY to make it happen.

dofu
04-25-2004, 09:31 PM
our trannys can be shifted without a clutch and be fine... as long as your on the low revs, ie: downshifting from 3rd at 2500 rpm to 2nd...
if you have a bad synchro or are grinding gears, i suggest you not try shifting without the clutch.
oh and a lot factors into this... if you broke your car in right, you'd be fine doing this, but if you didnt, dont kno what to tell ya. dont ever do this to a new car.

mickey.si.cakes
04-26-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by AzN Si GuY
hahhahaha I'm guessing this is your first car that's a stick. :angel:

whats funny about that....

AzN Si GuY
04-26-2004, 10:30 AM
well it didnt happen when i was driving the car....it was parked.....with the car off and the car could go into gear without the clutch....i dont think i would be bold enough to try and put it into gear or take it out of gear without the clutch while driving.....also.....when slowly rolling forward should you be able to put your car in reverse easily without grinding....or should you be at a complete stop before putting it in reverse......and also....when rolling backwards....when i put it in reverse i get a grind...and i have to stop the car completely and put it in reverse.....is this how the tranny works.....thanks for everyones input.....

jake

hahhahaha I'm guessing this is your first car that's a stick. :angel:

VividDreams
04-26-2004, 03:12 PM
well it didnt happen when i was driving the car....it was parked.....with the car off and the car could go into gear without the clutch....

i was thinking that after reading your first post, but decided to read through and see how many people discussed shifting gears and rev-mathcing before anyone thought about that