PDA

View Full Version : SRT-4 Yah or Nah ????

k20whiteboi269
04-21-2004, 07:09 PM
well for the last 2-3 weeks I have been seriously contemplating selling my ep3 and getting an yellow srt-4.

ive driven the srt and i really like the car. interior is decent, the wing is ghey, front bumper is so-so. I was really impressed by the performance of the car. insurance is 10 bucks cheaper a month than my si- must be 4 door????

ive read all the posts here, on srtforums, and elsewhere. did my research and still I keep thinking that the srt would be sweet to own. not to mention the tranny grinds, leaky window, and rattling interior of my ep are soo annoying.

BUT.....

Im going to stay with the ep3. getting tranny grind fixed, and making plans to boost her. ;)

SONIC SI
04-21-2004, 07:18 PM
I think they are ugly. I heard that they have a lot of problems also.

k20whiteboi269
04-21-2004, 07:22 PM
yea they have had some problems but that is common with the first few production years of a car.

the same goes for the ep. its had its problems as well, and trying to get anything warrantied is such a pain in the ass. im going to keep the si but i wont be buying a honda again.

SubliminalSi
04-21-2004, 07:24 PM
I like them alot, and if i could i would probably trade in my ep for one. They are fast, and pretty good looking. Theres just a hell of alot of rumors from idiots. And i bet anything someone will post on here"Well uh its just a neon with a turbo" but its more than that. Id say go for it

k20whiteboi269
04-21-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by SubliminalSi
I like them alot, and if i could i would probably trade in my ep for one. They are fast, and pretty good looking. Theres just a hell of alot of rumors from idiots. And i bet anything someone will post on here"Well uh its just a neon with a turbo" but its more than that. Id say go for it

lol ive seen all the posts on that as well. yea its a neon, and yea i own a civic.... i dont think one is more prestigious than the other. buts thats is my opinon- if i wanted a car for prestige i would look at an is300 or something

Peking
04-21-2004, 07:32 PM
Theres just a hell of alot of rumors from idiots. And i bet anything someone will post on here"Well uh its just a neon with a turbo" but its more than that. Id say go for it

Yeah, the only thing the SRT-4 shares with the Neon is the name. Whole different car :D

emosubaru
04-21-2004, 07:36 PM
actually the upper frame is completely the same. the engine, steering, suspension, drivetrain are different, but it's still a neon.

the crash test ratings prove it.

great car if you want a really fast and good performance econobox thats cheap.

dj addicted
04-21-2004, 07:45 PM
oh boy here we go again... Im all about.. test drive it.. if you like it... get it.. :D

DavidT
04-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Everyone has their own opinions so asking people on a EP board is probably not a good idea. Would I trade my EP for a SRT4? No. Is the SRT4 a cool car. Yes. By far the best bang for your buck in terms of performance, but still I would never own one.

SONIC SI
04-21-2004, 08:02 PM
Well so far I haven't had any problems with my EP. (crosses his fingers) But I think if I were to get another car I would look into a WRX or maybe an IS300 or a Volvo S40.

Peking
04-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by emosubaru
actually the upper frame is completely the same. the engine, steering, suspension, drivetrain are different, but it's still a neon.

the crash test ratings prove it.

great car if you want a really fast and good performance econobox thats cheap.

Is the upper frame the same??? I thought that (read somewhere) that the frame was slightly bigger. Anyway, not that that matters when considering how much else is different :D

plpong893
04-21-2004, 09:00 PM
insurance for the srt4 is cheaper?????? before i got my ep i was looking into the srt-4 and the insurance was twice as much.... 160 per month si....400 a month srt 4. Im in jersey so it doesnt help

this is why im just boosting my si

chubbychu
04-21-2004, 09:44 PM
but i wont be buying a honda again

aww comon, dont say that...hondas generally have a good reputation for outlasting the rest. i think as ephatchers we got a car on the lower end of the scale on first year bugs and glitches. but that doesnt mean that all hondas are like that.

SONIC SI
04-22-2004, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by plpong893
insurance for the srt4 is cheaper?????? before i got my ep i was looking into the srt-4 and the insurance was twice as much.... 160 per month si....400 a month srt 4. Im in jersey so it doesnt help

this is why im just boosting my si

That is true the insurance should be quote a bit more. When I had my Turbo S Beetle I was looking into getting a Sentra SER Spec V. My agent said that my isurance would go up quit a bit. He said that they go by the power to weight ratio.

!@#$%
04-22-2004, 04:28 AM

Listen to this guy. Trust me, when it comes to the SRT4 he will know the real facts just as well as the actual SRT4 owners.

Jaws Of Death
04-22-2004, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by k20whiteboi269
Im going to stay with the ep3. getting tranny grind fixed, and making plans to boost her. ;)
Good idea, it'll be cheaper in the long run.:cool:
EDIT: BTW, my insurance went up 10 dollars a month from the SI to the SRT-4

stockblack'03
04-22-2004, 05:10 AM
If you want a boosted 4-door, just drop the extra cash and get the Sti. Can't argue with the performance or the reliability on that rig. I don't know about you guys, but I buy cars that I can run for 150K or more ( I drive alot ), which totally changes the equation when you consider performance over the expected lifespan of the car. I would have a hard time believing that an SRT-4 will stand the test of that length of time. This is coming from someone who remembers the boosted Dodge Omni GLH - a classic POS if there ever was one, but it WAS boosted.

IMO.

SB03

esmith13
04-22-2004, 06:19 AM
#1 - A SRT-4 is NOT a neon. They don't even have a neon badge on them.

#2 - The base frame is the same but it is VERY reinforced over it's neon cousin.

#3 - Everything else but a few body skins is COMPLETELY different than ANY neon ever made - hence the lack of the neon name or badge.

#4 - I know a few people with them and have raced a few of them - they are VERY fast - cheap to buy and upgrade while maintaining the warranty. I have seen MAJOR failures from them which at first tells you it's a crappy car - BUT - dodge dosen't give them a hard time getting ANYTHING fixed under warranty...

... I had to fight Honda for 3 weeks to get a leaky weather strip on my window fixed. :(

All in all - their faster - cheaper than a comparably upgraded EP and maintain their warranty at that performance level unlike us. Yes they DO seem to break more - but their back on the road fast and care free. We may have less defects or failures in our hondas - but we seem to have more of a problem getting our warranties honored. Balances out IMO.

Personally - the only thing that keeps me from getting one is looks. I just can't drive a skittle. ;) I know it's not a neon - but it damn sure still looks like one. The analogy that comes to mind is - a neon is like a cute little stuffed teddy bear. The SRT-4 is that same teddy bear with bigger flaired nostrils, a larger tail and a slot in it's head.... As appealing as that sounds is as appealing as that cars looks are to me.... Shame - it is damn fast...

Eric

Dunrick
04-22-2004, 07:38 AM
its a neon - open the door and on the sticker in the door, it says neon

lets not kid around, its a neon - with chassis reinforcements, and better engine/drivetrain/seats/wheels/tires/bodykit/steering wheel/boost gauge

i could care less, ours is a civic - and as much as we think civics are tight, nobody here in the office could give two craps i drive a top of the line civic.

Oh and my civic has a crappy transmission, go honda manufacturing! 2nd gear is so crunchy its like I got to cringe when I shift into second sometimes...and we don't even have vtec - and we get owned when we resell them -

other than that, i still love the car, its still a beautiful ep3 :)

2.0L Monster
04-22-2004, 07:43 AM
If you really want power, get a used f body. They are faster than the srt4 and they are still na which is a big plus. :D

stockblack'03
04-22-2004, 08:09 AM
I don't understand the claim that we don't have real VTEC. My understanding of i-VTEC is that below 2200 RPMs, we're running on 3 valves per cyl. which reduces emmissions and boosts fuel ecomomy, but above 2,200 we are VTEC'ing on 4 valves per cylinder. Is that correct? Feels like VTEC @ 5 grand, IMO. Just wondering.

k20hatch
04-22-2004, 08:36 AM
Well like i said in the all the other post about the srt4. I really like them, they have came along way. Now would i ever own one is the question. Im a honda guy, always have been so im sticking with with Si. Enough said, carry on!

Hatchtastic
04-22-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by esmith13

Does that mean its not a dodge? Whats your point its a fast Dodge neon. Whats wrong with that? I like the Srt-4. i'm not going to own 1 but I wont knock anyone who does. BTW Dodge blowssss!

STP03BlueSI
04-22-2004, 08:59 AM
http://www.tamparacing.com/gallery/data/500/10660neonskittles.jpg :D

RiceCzechs
04-22-2004, 09:07 AM
If you like it that much, I'd say go for it... the SRT-4 is a great little car, particularly if you plan to track it. Objectively speaking, reliability and resale will probably be more of an issue than with our EPs, but thusfar it appears that the Si has yet to really live up to typical Honda levels on either account, sooo....

I'm not sure if the SRT-4's wing is a delete option, but I've seen a few without them (including the one that killed all comers in its class and then some on last year's One Lap Of America), and it is a definite improvement, so I'd absolutely consider removing it either way.

Siman
04-22-2004, 09:15 AM
resale of turbo cars is always low....unless its a ferrari F40...

people dont trust the people who MAINTAIND the cars turbo, you dont know if they serviced it right etc....

I wouldnt buy one...i think they are ugly and will start to break down a few years down the road...I am just WAITING to start hearing warranty claims on those Dodges....

All i remember is the Lebaron turbo....and the Caravan turbo...

next in line is the SRT-4 turbo...

IN THE JUNK YARD:rolleyes:

slc71
04-22-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by esmith13

A picture says a thousand words.

http://home.insightbb.com/~slc71/sticker.jpg

esmith13
04-22-2004, 09:32 AM
Wow. I stand corrected....

Dealer at dodge I spoke to lied to my ass then.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Eric

todaCspec
04-22-2004, 10:38 AM
People are always arguing about SRT-4 just being a turbo charged neon, how come nobody ever argues about a EVO being a turbo charged Lancer? Which use to be a Mirage.

Any turbo or supercharged cars will have problems later on down the years, but you have a better chance when it's factory from the dealer rather then aftermarket. Just buy extended warranty.

If you paid MSRP for your EP then you could have considered an SRT-4 but of the people here paid alot less than MSRP.

beechstreet
04-22-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by SONIC SI
That is true the insurance should be quote a bit more. When I had my Turbo S Beetle I was looking into getting a Sentra SER Spec V. My agent said that my isurance would go up quit a bit. He said that they go by the power to weight ratio.

When I was shopping for a new car, the insurance on the Si was $300 more a year than the SRT4. The Spec V was about $100 more than the SRT4.

k20whiteboi269
04-22-2004, 12:07 PM
Yea i was surprised that insurance was actually cheaper. i was quoted 140 a month compared to the 150 a month for my si. i even took the vin # of the one i test drove so i would have to believe that the quote was accurate. btw im 23, with 0 points and my insurance guy goes to my church so maube he is just hooking me up.

thanks for all the replies.......

but im keeping the hatch;) it will be better for me in the long run.

stockblack'03
04-22-2004, 12:39 PM
Ahhh, the Turbo Lebaron. Now THAT was hot shit. Literally......