PDA

View Full Version : wierd noise after lowering my car

DTR
04-22-2004, 08:05 AM
well basically i after a long wee i finally lowered my car. i installed my Eibach Prokit. but now i get this wierd clunking noise taht appears to be coming from the rear but sometimes it sounds like its in the front. Has anybody else experienced this problem with their lowering. the best way i can describe it is a kinda hollow tube tapping sound, a hollow "clunk". Any help/insight would be great. Im stumped... oh yea, ill post up some pics laetr.

Si3
04-22-2004, 09:04 AM
not exactly sure about the noise, but i bet the ride looks hella better!! no more 4x4!

-aj-

K20A3Si
04-22-2004, 10:41 AM
welcome to the world of having a lowered car;)

Hatchtastic
04-22-2004, 11:09 AM
welcome to the forum where people stray off topic and dont answer questions. Change your title to Eibach prokit help. that way anyone with the springs will view the thread. That will be your best help to find others with the same product.

andy
04-22-2004, 11:47 AM
Your springs may be turning and shifting, hence the clunking.
Gives us more info - goes it happen constantly, only over bumps,
only on slow turns, etc?

A lot of others have had similar problems - go through some of the
old posts in the suspension forums and see what the results were.
In my case, my coilovers would make awful noises about 4 months after
I installed them. They weren't secured at the top and were spinning
(the springs were) and lowering themselves - it was because I had
forgotten to install an upper mount.

i-vtec04si
04-22-2004, 01:15 PM
grease the top pearch.... make sure everything is tight and right also look in the suspension forum there is a topic in there all about this.....

siver-SI
04-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by i-vtec04si
grease the top pearch.... make sure everything is tight and right also look in the suspension forum there is a topic in there all about this.....

Yea the OEM stuff sucks. One you take it apart you need to regrease everything. I have a creak when I turn my wheels in the morning only and that is when it is around 40 and below. I did not put any grease on spring or rubber there so that was my bad. I put grease on the pearch and I have no clunking.

DTR
04-22-2004, 02:41 PM
well it only occurs when i move slowly and break abruptly and on jerking shifts, if that helps..i guess ill take things off and grease em up...any grease in particular that i should use?

DTR
04-22-2004, 08:38 PM
well i just narrowed it down to my rear drivers side strut, ill be checking it out this weekend.

Ada2udeSi
04-22-2004, 08:51 PM
hey i have the same problem... but it sounds like the windows from the driver and passenger side are making the noise.

Slip_Angle
04-22-2004, 09:07 PM
I just installed Eibach Sportlines and get the "clunking" sounds from what sounds like the passenger rear, but i also hear it on the driver rear (I think). Happens when I go over small bumps in the road.

Could it just be the stock shocks are compressed more with these springs and make this sound? We torqued everything to spec.. I don't get any groaning or sqeeking sounds...

DTR
04-23-2004, 07:25 AM
my friend that was a honda tech before said the same thing, that our stock shocks might be "over working" themselves. he heard the sound and he too concluded that it was a shock related issue. so im going to take taht one off this weekend and chek it out and lulbe it up...then ill see what happens....does any one know the exact name of the lube/grease that i should be using?

WikedEP3
04-26-2004, 08:20 AM
Wierd noises when lowering your car, if you guys have wierd noises after lowering your cars, it is probably because the top nut that holds the tower to the strut and compresses the springs is over tightened. That nut is only supposed to be torqued down to 17lbs ft of torque. Any other wierd noise issues Im your man.

DTR
04-26-2004, 09:09 AM
i found my source of the problem!!! the nut on teh joint pin on the stabilizer link wasnt on all the way!!! it had a little play and it wiggled around and i guess that the lowering just put more pressure on it.....chek ur swaybars.

Slip_Angle
04-26-2004, 10:55 AM
DTR: Can you describe this in more detail please. Are you talking about the front struts or rear struts?

DTR
04-27-2004, 06:16 AM
sure.....i marked some red arrows to the nut that was loose. if you look at step 2's diagram its the nut marked letter B. mine was loose, im just sharing cus it might be an option for u guys, oh and its the right rear that was my problem.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzcyMzI1NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

and just so you know.....i NEVER reloobed any parts. Hope this helps some of you.

Slip_Angle
04-27-2004, 08:06 PM
WikedEP3: Why would over-tightening cause the clunking? I can't remember what we torqued the top nut to but we used the specs from the RSX (base) manual. Should be the same no?

DTR: Why would that nut come loose? I didn't touch it as part of the rear spring installation..

Strange. BUT, I'll check these anyways.

Thanks.

DTR
04-27-2004, 10:04 PM
i didnt touch my nut either :D but it was loose, i was just tossing in another option for people...