PDA

View Full Version : Rsx wants what we got?

04rider
04-22-2004, 09:30 AM
I didnt know our a3 was stronger than the base rsx.made my day.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=150715 :D

BlairSpeed
04-22-2004, 10:15 AM
Our a3 ISNT stronger then the base RSX, sorry to break it for you... did you finish reading the whole post? Everyone was bashing him for considering swaping his base rsx motor for the Si motor, which doesnt make any sense to me either.:rolleyes:

04rider
04-22-2004, 10:19 AM
YES SIR, STARTING ON THE LAST PAGE. HONDATA EVEN SAID SO.

amctmg
04-22-2004, 10:20 AM
Man , that guy wanting an si motor was such a friggin dumbass:rolleyes:

the JigGa mAn
04-22-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by BlairSpeed
Our a3 ISNT stronger then the base RSX, sorry to break it for you... did you finish reading the whole post? Everyone was bashing him for considering swaping his base rsx motor for the Si motor, which doesnt make any sense to me either.:rolleyes:

stupid people never do smart things

EtherGhost
04-22-2004, 10:27 AM
There sure is a lot of flaming on clubrsx...

The conclusion was, the Si's K20A3 is a better candidate for modification, because the base RSX's engine loses power in the upper range due to the dual stage intake runners, and Hondata only raises the rev limiter to 7300 instead of 7600.

04rider
04-22-2004, 10:31 AM
"There are plenty of other reasons. The EP tranny has the advantage in gearing, and the final drive is 4.764 compared to the base's 4.389. The throttle body is also different. The single runner intake manifold does indeed make a big difference in the upper RPMs. When I first started modding K-series motors I also questioned myself about Hondata's 7300 rev limit for the base and 7700 RPM rev limit for the EP. They're the same motor. Well I contacted Hondata and they emailed me back with a great explanation of the Base vs. EP manifolds. The only reason why Hondata limited it to 7700 RPMs is because of the stock valve springs, the A3 in the EP will continue to make good usuable power even past 7700 RPMs with i/h/e and Hondata but stock valvetrain limits that. The base on the other hand, power falls off very sharply after 7300 RPM that it'd be worthless to rev it any further."

"The si also has a fully counterbalanced crank, the same one that the type s has. The is also why the si can produce more continuos power throughout the rev range. The intake manifold is not the only difference." -CLUBRSX MEMBERS

PAPITUYO326
04-22-2004, 10:38 AM
i always thought that our crank wasnt balanced....which is why we have 2 balance shafts instead of 1...im confused lol

BlairSpeed
04-22-2004, 10:42 AM
hmm, so in stock form the base RSX is stronger, but our a3 responds better to mods, especially on the top end, making it stronger engine. correct?

the JigGa mAn
04-22-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by BlairSpeed
hmm, so in stock form the base RSX is stronger, but our a3 responds better to mods, especially on the top end, making it stronger engine. correct?

BINGO!!!!

BOB TELL THIS MAN WHAT HES WON!!!

**ANNOUNCER:WELL YOUVE WON YOUR VERY OWN(FILL IN THE BLANK)!!!**

fsugatorbait
04-22-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by PAPITUYO326
i always thought that our crank wasnt balanced....which is why we have 2 balance shafts instead of 1...im confused lol

Your correct, we dont have a blanced crank.

the JigGa mAn
04-22-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
Your correct, we dont have a blanced crank.

whats a balanced crank?

Jester
04-22-2004, 12:21 PM
umm..yes we do have balancing shafts

"In addition to its outstanding power and efficiency, the Civic SiR engine has been engineered for class-leading smoothness and refinement. To that end, such NVH-reducing features as a balancer shaft (integrated with the oil pump); highly rigid, ferrous-carbon inserts in the main bearing caps (for added rigidity); a one-piece crankshaft carrier; and a silent chain cam drive are incorporated. "

taken right from honda's website

http://honda.ca/HondaEng/Models/CivicSiR/benefits.asp

click on NVH

fsugatorbait
04-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by the JigGa mAn
whats a balanced crank?

The type S has a counterbalanced crank shaft, ours as well as the base is not fully counterbalanced. A member brought theirs to be balanced and found it was out by 11g.

Jester
04-22-2004, 12:52 PM
http://www.hondacars.com/models/engineering.asp?ModelName=Civic+Si

top of the video feed's about balancing system

the other link was the Canadian Site this one is US
both show that the SI/SIR has it

siver-SI
04-22-2004, 03:02 PM
I have heard that the A3 with a turbo is better then a a2 becuase of the lower compression ratio.

Graywolf
04-22-2004, 03:57 PM
Yes, but our a3 is worse than the rsx a3.

potator
04-22-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Graywolf
Yes, but our a3 is worse than the rsx a3.

I think that's what this whole thread was about. As someone posted in this thread somewhere above, the A3 in the base RSX is slightly more powerful stock for stock than the A3 in the Si, due to a bit more torque, etc. But when it comes to potential and high-end modifications, the Si's A3 is superior.

AzN Si GuY
04-22-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
I have heard that the A3 with a turbo is better then a a2 becuase of the lower compression ratio.

I've read about that a while back. Hooray for the a3. I'm proud of it and the power it produces after some nice mods.