PDA

View Full Version : Sad, Sad day. Im getting rid of the Si

2k2SiAutoXer
04-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Well everybody, I never thought it would happen to me, but I am loosing the Si. For the past two years the car has been Leased in my fathers name and also insured by him, all for 1500/year. Well, now I need to do everything under my name and I get quoted at around 7000 a year for insurance, crazy. Multiple places gave me a similar quote so I figure it is a lost cause. 20 years old with one speeding ticket that was reduced to no points, and 1 accident in which I did not recieve a ticket. Oh well, I am so sad. And to rop it off I will be in the hole about 4k because I am one of those lucky peoples who bought the car right as it came out.

Anyways, I bought a 90 talon tsi awd with an extra motor for 1200, and pay that same amount per year on insurance. That will be my fun car. I plan to trade the si in at a dealership for an old pickup to use as my transportation car. In the end I think I will be able to have more fun with the talon for cheaper that i could do with the Si. I will sure miss everything about the Si. I just cant belive I am doing this. I plan to stick around as much as I can, you all are a really great bunch of people. Thanks to Mel and An for the deals on the Turbo and wheels (I actually traded the turbo kit to the guy I bought the car from and got about 1 grand back. For half the price of the turbo kit, I got a car with a turbo and an extra motor) The talon will require some work, and ill keep you all updated on its progress. Sorry for the long post!

--Tom

BlasTech
04-22-2004, 05:01 PM
wow, that's sad news. Insurance is such a scam, you'd probably get by cheaper paying tickets for no insurance. :(

Good luck with the DSM!

andy
04-22-2004, 05:03 PM
What a rip! That's a ridiculous amount...

You'll have fun with the DSM (I say that both sarcastically and honestly) - they can be very fast cars but can also be a pain in the rear. I think it's either dsm.org or dsmtuners.org, but there are a few very active dsm boards out ther and I'm sure some local members who will give you a hand.

dj addicted
04-22-2004, 05:04 PM
good luck with the TSI... They are definately fun to drive.. forwarning though.. DSM stands for Doesnt Start in the Morning!!!! hehe..glad you got the extra motor. You can easily get those cars in upwards of 500whp. Enjoy it

2k2SiAutoXer
04-22-2004, 05:10 PM
yeah, ive heard both good and bad about ths dsm. Cheap and easy for lots of power, but reliability can be shady. Good thing its not going to be my everyday driver. I also heard that the 1st gen had a 7 bolt motor which was better than the 6 bolt motor that came on the 2nd gen.

--Tom

k20hatch
04-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Damn man im sorry that sucks! Have fun with your new car though, still stick around the site!

Peking
04-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by k20hatch
Damn man im sorry that sucks! Have fun with your new car though, still stick around the site!

Yeah man, sucks ass. Please do hang around, not to many of us old folks around no more :( :D

Ep3 No.2
04-22-2004, 09:19 PM
yah insurance kills... your pocket that is.

HondCivc91
04-22-2004, 11:09 PM
my buddy has a '94 tsi awd talon and i honestly didn't know much about talons before he started telling me about his a little over a month or two ago. From the looks of it the thing looks so weak but he's running 275 hp on the stock turbo. he just ordered another turbo off ebay that will put him in the lower 400 whp .. crazy stuff!

no2247
04-22-2004, 11:20 PM
I almost had to give up my si as well when I first got it. It was my fault because I went car shopping before I went insurance shopping. Most places wanted over $300 a month.

I almost cried when one broker suggested I burn the car to get out of the deal & let insurance pay for it.

In the end progressive gave me something I could deal w/ 215 a mo.

Learned my lesson though.

anyways....

Good luck w/ your new car, I know how you feel.

YooShin
04-22-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by no2247
I almost had to give up my si as well when I first got it. It was my fault because I went car shopping before I went insurance shopping. Most places wanted over $300 a month.

I almost cried when one broker suggested I burn the car to get out of the deal & let insurance pay for it.

In the end progressive gave me something I could deal w/ 215 a mo.

I wound up with Progressive as well after hopping around from insurer to insurer. I couldn't believe how much it went up from my 94 Accord Coupe LX. I'm 29 w/ a perfect record and it went from $87/mth to $195/mth. Having no insurance at all wouldn't work here in Texas and I bet in most other states as well. In Texas you have to have Liablity which is about 80% of the cost and if you fincance the car (ie. a bank holds the tittle) then you have to have full coverage with min. on property and uninsured motorist. OK Im depressed now. I need to go grab a beer:(

04rider
04-23-2004, 03:18 AM
I am 21 and pay 312 a month with geico.

oogy-boogy
04-23-2004, 03:52 AM
Wow Tom. :( Sorry to hear the news as I remember how much of an excited EP owner you are (like myself). Well, like the others stated: stick around the board :)

I say sell the damn Jetta first! lol....

Best of luck with everything and I hope all goes well for you. Why do all the good guys finish last :(

trk
04-23-2004, 05:43 AM
Tom,

sorry to see you sell it...

I was paying $180 a month at age 29 with 1 or 2 plea bargained tickets... once I got married we pay about $200 for two cars.

Tai

I guess you wont be needing that shift boot.

;)

Good luck. Show up to some cep3 meets will ya... we never even got to meet you. Otherwise maybe I'll see you at Bandimere this year, look out for the bronze c8s on a si.

Peace man.

SF-SI-02
04-23-2004, 07:19 AM
That's what I was going to recommend Get hitched!

PAPITUYO326
04-23-2004, 09:32 AM
sucks to hear bout ur ep...have fun with the talon

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-23-2004, 09:52 AM
holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiet....$7k / yr for insurance??
are you living in NYC now?
thats ridiculous!
did you at least call around, i've seen insurance quote range from $1200 to $4000 depending on the ins. co.

anyway...good luck w/ the DSM...they can go fast for cheap...but don't expect it to drive like a honda....the shifting sucks and they have alot of strange issues....but they blocks are pretty much indestructible...

Xtreme Racer
04-23-2004, 10:01 AM
do NOT do anything yet.

Let me call my insurance agent and see what he can do for you.

at the MOST it should be like 320 a month by YOURSELF.

Can your dad still be primary......you be secondary?

I'm local.....tai knows me so...it's all good....just keepin an eye out for a fellow CEP3 member.

trk
04-23-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Xtreme Racer
do NOT do anything yet.

Let me call my insurance agent and see what he can do for you.

at the MOST it should be like 320 a month by YOURSELF.

Can your dad still be primary......you be secondary?

I'm local.....tai knows me so...it's all good....just keepin an eye out for a fellow CEP3 member.

2k2SiAutoXer
04-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Xtreme-
Thanks for the offer but In a way I am very happy with my decision. I feel so bad for losing the si but in the end I will be saving a lot more and have a lot more peace of mind. Right now I pay 100/mo in the talon and have no payments, so that equals about 400/mo more in my pocket, a significant amount.

I have a car in my name that is paid off and insurance is al taken care of, its such a relief to be this much more independent. I figured I fough a war, I should be able to have my own insurance policy =).

Tai- Of course I want to go to the CEP3 meets, and I will have a more formidable car for autoxing now

Mel, Melissa may be in the same boat as me when she moves out here in the summer. But she does not owe nearly as much as I do on her car, and her insurance should be a lot cheaper than what mine was going to be with the Si.

--Tom

oogy-boogy
04-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by 2k2SiAutoXer
Xtreme-
Thanks for the offer but In a way I am very happy with my decision. I feel so bad for losing the si but in the end I will be saving a lot more and have a lot more peace of mind. Right now I pay 100/mo in the talon and have no payments, so that equals about 400/mo more in my pocket, a significant amount.

I have a car in my name that is paid off and insurance is al taken care of, its such a relief to be this much more independent. I figured I fough a war, I should be able to have my own insurance policy =).

Tai- Of course I want to go to the CEP3 meets, and I will have a more formidable car for autoxing now

Mel, Melissa may be in the same boat as me when she moves out here in the summer. But she does not owe nearly as much as I do on her car, and her insurance should be a lot cheaper than what mine was going to be with the Si.

--Tom

Best of luck in keep in touch :)

trk
04-23-2004, 11:38 AM

Cool. You going to the May 22nd event?

your thread at cep3...

http://www.coloradoep3.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=457

4g63dsm
04-23-2004, 12:46 PM
yeah, ive heard both good and bad about ths dsm. Cheap and easy for lots of power, but reliability can be shady. Good thing its not going to be my everyday driver. I also heard that the 1st gen had a 7 bolt motor which was better than the 6 bolt motor that came on the 2nd gen.

--Tom you have it mixed up the 1st gens have 6 bolt motors which are better and the 7 bolts sucked and came in the 2nd gen. good luck with the dsm i loved mine, just hated it as my daily driver. Cuz it would always break.But it was fast as fuck

2k2SiAutoXer
04-24-2004, 05:02 PM
well, the Si is gone but I am a lot happier then I thought I would be. I was sad to say goodbye but I made out on a 95 civic ex coupe. Turns out I got a great rate to finance the civic, after adding what I was in the hole to the purchase price. Dealer gave me a 4.7apr rate on the loan. The 95 is actually a lot more fun than i thought it would be, and I can still use my wheels! I sure miss the torque of the Si but that 95 just loves to rev, and boy does it rev!

--Tom

redronin22
04-25-2004, 10:15 AM
d-series? or does it have a motor swap?

2k2SiAutoXer
04-25-2004, 03:32 PM
d-series, but it has a higher rev limit than the si!

--Tom