PDA

View Full Version : newcartestdrive.com review of civic si

slc71
04-24-2004, 08:18 PM
I was out looking for reviews on a Mitsubishi Outlander that my wife wants to get and came across this review on the civic.
They had a statement about the new SI that sums it up for all of us who own a EP3.

"The styling of the Honda Civic Si hatchback seems to polarize people. Some think it's ugly; others love it and are quick to defend it. It's edgy and wedge."

Not a good statement but one I agree with

"the wheels and tires do not look big enough for the bodywork."

phantasia
04-24-2004, 09:56 PM
i washed my baby tonight. meguiar's gold class, cold water and a good chamois. went inside, changed clothes to go out for a bit, and when i came back out and looked at her in the driveway, i was awestruck over how beautiful she was. i stood there for a long time as the sun went down, looking at how long and angular she was. i walked around and around. yeah my ep3 is lowered on nice rims, but even if she was stock the looks are still there. this is the most beautiful car ever. lamborghini miura be damned. the ep3 is gorgeous from every angle, particulary the rear 3/4.

those who cant relate never will. what do they drive anyways? surely not some italian masterpiece. pininfarina and bertone would love the chunky angular design of the ep. no doubt.

it is classic, like nothing else.

denmah
04-24-2004, 10:07 PM
its something we will only understand, and i dont expect everyone to get it, some of my friends have fallen for it over time.

redronin22
04-24-2004, 11:22 PM
its major downfall is lack of nice wheels and SUV wheel gap. other than that its a really clean design. i love how all the lines intersect at some point in the body.

Skunk2ner
04-25-2004, 01:42 AM
i don't even own one (yet) and i fell in love with it. i used to think it didn't look good. but now that i've been looking at it more and more, i think it's gorgeous! i love the EP3.
i can't wait to buy mine! gotta save up about $2k for a down, and then she's mine!!!

SiR Medic
04-25-2004, 07:59 AM
What I like about the ep's styling is its simplicity...

No extra scoops,gills, or "character lines". No contrived stying cues... I'ts just a wedge.

Now look at the ZX3 Focus; fender flares, tailights on the C-pillar, and a few extra creases thrown in. Yeah, it's more trendy, but that stuff tends to go out of style quickly.

siver-SI
04-25-2004, 08:10 AM
I love the body because it has a sharp body line in it. It is not all rounded and plane looking. You have a sharp edge in the side and even on the hood. It is a design that is not for everyone, but if you like a car that has a body line this is the car fo you.

EP_JDM_TEX
04-25-2004, 09:52 AM
They call my car at work a minivan and the roach (because of its size and ability to park any where and get out of the parking lot easily). I do love the way it looks and I love seeing others on the road. Honda has always done a great job at designing there cars. I really like the way the EF looks and every other on(EG EK). In time I think this car will still look good unlike the swoopy Protege 5, Matrix, or Celica.

redronin22
04-25-2004, 10:12 AM
Toyota designs go out of style so fast. the only ones that still look good is the Mr2 turbos. IMO honda has very simple designs that age very well. look at the 91+ Legend coupes,97 Preludes, and of course the NSX. Imo some of the best looking coupes of the 90's.

HgSi
04-25-2004, 10:20 AM
Yes, I agree. Honda is very good at making car designs that are simple, but well thought out and very effective. They are timeless. Toyota, especially recently, has made cars that look flashy for a short while but get really old really fast. I have to say, that with the exception of the mr2, I don't think Toyota has made any good-looking cars at all.

HgSi
04-25-2004, 10:23 AM
BTW, that goes for their Lexus arm as well. They're all flashy, with their Altezza lights and all... But they're really not interesting anymore after you see two or three.

Jaypee
04-25-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by HgSi
BTW, that goes for their Lexus arm as well. They're all flashy, with their Altezza lights and all... But they're really not interesting anymore after you see two or three.

Before I bought my ep3 I was thinking of WRX, Celica, IS300 and Benz CLK230. I'm sooooo glad that I bought a ep3! I love how it handles and our rally shifter.

ToingToing
04-26-2004, 12:25 AM
honda hatchbacks is like 2pac because:

1. crx, hf, eg, ek are way long discontinued cars (dead) and the ep3 hatchback is about to be discontinued but they are still alive on every street you run into
2. it will never be faded
3. alotta people dont like it but alotta people appreciate it
4. many try to copy it
5. they are like the thugs/gangsters in the import racing scenes
6. they are just too real to the tuning world
7. no matter how you hate it, it's still around
8. no matter how hard you put it down, it's growing up even more
9. every culture/race have it
10. it's very popular

:D ;) :cool: :angel:

bao_pay
04-26-2004, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by project: JDMEP3
honda hatchbacks is like 2pac because:

1. crx, hf, eg, ek are way long discontinued cars (dead) and the ep3 hatchback is about to be discontinued but they are still alive on every street you run into
2. it will never be faded
3. alotta people dont like it but alotta people appreciate it
4. many try to copy it
5. they are like the thugs/gangsters in the import racing scenes
6. they are just too real to the tuning world
7. no matter how you hate it, it's still around
8. no matter how hard you put it down, it's growing up even more
9. every culture/race have it
10. it's very popular

:D ;) :cool: :angel:

Hahaha... this has got to be one of the funniest threads I've ever read! Damn this post is jokes. Our car is like 2pac... puahahahahahahahaha...:D You are a joker... even tho ever word that comes out of your mouth is true.:mad:

And the Roach... thats so funny I might have to steal your nickname! :cool: Yo, I'm dead serious I'm stealing your nickname!:mad:

Todays posts have been so funny... you should read Type X's reply in in the Atuo Up window thread... damn!!! Hahahaha...:D

phantasia
04-27-2004, 09:42 PM
i work at a toyota dealership, in car sales. i look at toyotas 8-12 hours a day, and there isnt a beautiful one in the lot. all toyota design is contrived of current trendiness and flat out bizarre.. yet, all are highly conservative designs, with the exception of the scion xB, prius and new sienna van.

the celica? as played out as a 97' cavalier with missing wheel covers and fart can. the interior is cramped, the exterior is generic "sport coupe." sure it turned heads a few years ago, but with the new, fishlike front bumper for '04 its as exciting as a hyundai tiburon. as i sit and stare at toyotas, day in, day out, they really start to get annoying the longer you look. the camry is a taurus, puckered up for a kiss. the new solara is like miss piggy.. overweight, and with far too much makeup and a big fat ass. the corolla? eh. generic econo-box. even in "S" trim (strictly a trim package, no performance enhancements, whatsoever) it looks cheap, like a sunfire or neon with factory installed "ground effects." nothing gets the blood pumping. i get more excited seeing a rusted out 1988 civic hatchback in traffic, on the way home than by any of the new toyotas.

yes they are very well made, durable, reliable transportation. no, they are not anything exciting, the entire lot.

as far as i am concerned, the most amazing vehicle that toyota makes is the new sienna mini-van. it is a work of art. the prius is a close 2nd, strictly for its 21st century flavor, and the scion xB is in the 3rd slot. everything else is boring as hell.

skooba
04-27-2004, 09:48 PM
the xB is PIMP

I love those things. I saw the lava colored one a few days ago. But lately, I've been seeing a couple each day, and they've only been available for a few months. In a year, they will probably be everywhere just like the celica. Oh well, its still a fun little box. :)

BTW, gotta love the supra, nothing wrong with those.

2.25CrushBent
04-27-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by skooba
BTW, gotta love the supra, nothing wrong with those.

word....

phantasia
04-27-2004, 10:05 PM
yes, xB's constantly have my attention. i can look at them all day. the lava orange version is dope. there are only 2100 of them made. the xA's, i could care less about. the xB however, is stunning in its design.

the supra? yes.. that was a beautiful car, with exceptions. it had its own oddity's, such as that hideous rear end. it was fast as HELL though, and can't be touched as far as power and performance goes. toyota designers went the extra mile with that one. they even designed the carpet to be lightweight, by introducing hollow fibers and thread.

however, as cool looking as the xB is, keep in mind that your ep3 will absolutely destroy it in all facets of performance. the xB has an amazing interior space, cool looks and neat accessories, but it is in NO WAY a performance car, at all. it handles like it looks, like a big tall box. the xA drives like a fun, but SERIOUSLY underpowered go-cart. the damn thing wont go over 65-70 mph. it also shares the engine with that xB. toyota designed these things to go slow in, to be seen in. honda designed the ep3 to haul ass in. after all, we are pretty similar to the type-R, in more ways than any other civic before us.

skooba
04-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Yeah the xB's engine is very underpowered, but I wouldn't want to go fast in that car, it would just be something to cruise around in. And about honda designing the EP to haul ass..... something went wrong, because it DOESN'T haul ass. Look at the competition being released by nearly every car manufacturer. In its class, the EP is underpowered. And again, I didn't buy the EP expecting it to be fast, it's just a nice all around performer that you don't see everywhere.

phantasia
04-27-2004, 10:41 PM
honda has always seemed to let the driver rule the car, instead of the car overpowering the driver. hondas have never had huge horsepower or stump pulling torque, and the ep is no exception. however, the way you drive your ep, the way you extract every last rpm, every last hp is more significant than the actual car itself. for instance. race a mustang gt stoplight to stoplight. you lost. race the same mustang down a twisty mountain road. you've won. with advanced handling and an intuitive sense of performance, based more on individual rather than machinery, honda has created a more human dynamic in their vehicles. ive driven many cars, and none of them have that inherent "hondaness" that we know and love. its not hard to lose v-8 camaros in squirt and go traffic in my barely 100 hp 1985 accord sedan. i like how honda gives you an "open window" of performance, rather than locking you down into one specific formula. for instance, on our "test drive" route for work, at my toyota dealership, i can consistently beat a 180 hp celica gt-s with my 02 ep by several minutes. by driving both cars, balls out, the ep not only is faster, but more satisfying to drive fast. you have an amazing car there, never underestimate its potential.

Jay H
04-28-2004, 07:11 AM
phantasia, that's an excellent post above. I agree.

Once you get over the raw numbers (0-60 times, 1/4 mile times) of cars, it all comes down to the little nuances of how the car drives and the feedback the car gives you. This EP we all have is not the fastest, but is definitely fun to drive if you can learn to extract the performance out of it that is there.

Quick cars are fun, but there is more to driving than just 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.