PDA

View Full Version : Short Shifter

03BlueEp
04-26-2004, 01:05 PM
Ok just bought the neuspeed short shifter just wondering how easy of an install and wondering if it makes a big difference in the shift throw and if anyone is using it how do they like it thanks

RMC22
04-26-2004, 01:25 PM
Easy install.
It's one of those things...
You get it and you couldn't go back or you don't get it and you can live without it since the throws aren't THAT bad on the stock ep. However, it'll make stock feel like a truck.

denmah
04-26-2004, 02:42 PM
yeah its great specially with the aluminum bushings.

hes right if you take it out your stock throws feel just like a truck lo.

AzN Si GuY
04-26-2004, 03:02 PM
It's very easy, It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. Most of it will be trying to pop stuff off like the plastic cap on the original shifter or popping off the plastic cover.

Just take your time and hope you don't fumble anything into the dash. If you do use a magnetic pick up tool. But take extra precaution when popping off the plastic cap, you won't be able to pick that up with a magnetic pick up if it were to fall.

The shift throws are a little bit shorter. I know it wouldn't feel right if I were to go back to stock set up.

oogy-boogy
04-26-2004, 11:29 PM
You'll love it. I'd recommend you put the bushings in at the same time.

Neuspeed short shifter: install shouldn't take more than 15 minutes for a drunk man ;)

Aluminum Bushings: 15 minutes if you don't drop any of them.:yellm:

Randman
04-27-2004, 01:48 AM
Where can the short shifter be bought at a good price?

jimmyjames
04-27-2004, 01:51 AM
From everything I have read, it seems as though the bushings are not worth it. especially risking dropping one into the dash. Can any of you confirm / deny the ease or usefullness of putting the bushings in?

I know what the bushings do, I have just read that they are not worth the money and a pain in the ass if you drop one. I am aware of the string trick.

David K.
04-27-2004, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by jimmyjames
From everything I have read, it seems as though the bushings are not worth it. especially risking dropping one into the dash. Can any of you confirm / deny the ease or usefullness of putting the bushings in?

I know what the bushings do, I have just read that they are not worth the money and a pain in the ass if you drop one. I am aware of the string trick.

It's really not hard at all; just take your time. As far as not being worth the money, well, you can tell a difference. It doesn't transform the car or anything, but it's only $13 bucks. Not many things come that cheap and show a difference.

oogy-boogy
04-27-2004, 02:27 AM

Worth it and easy to put in.

If you're too lazy to grab one once dropped buy 2 sets :rolleyes:

oogy-boogy
04-27-2004, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Randman
Where can the short shifter be bought at a good price?

I think the Vendor known as RoBear racing had them for $89.00.

Check the vendor sales :)

Mighty_Mouse
04-27-2004, 03:24 AM

The installation is very simple and it's impossible to drop them into the dash if you use the "dental floss" trick. I actually used a piece of thin electrical wire because I was too lazy to run inside and get dental floss.

I installed the bushings at the same time as my short shifter and wouldn't think about changing a thing. Feels great.

denmah
04-27-2004, 07:01 AM
i installed my aluminum bushings and the short shifter in like 15 min no shit. they were both easy as hell.

JapanExpress
04-27-2004, 07:18 AM
Its a SIMPLE install, and you'll love it. I did mine with stock bushings, and I loved the way it felt.

Ep3 No.2
04-27-2004, 06:19 PM
metal bushings = one of the best mods for 15 bucks. imo makes it feel more "sportier" lol

jimmyjames
04-27-2004, 08:31 PM
all right, all right. sorry I brought it up.
I think the real problem people had was installing just the bushings and not the shifter. I am sure doing all that for some aluminum washers and then dropping one or two can be really frustrating.

When I get the short shift kit, I will definately hit up the bushings. Thanks for the responses. Makes complete sense to me to install both at the same time instead of screwing around in there twice.

ViViDPeArL
04-27-2004, 11:25 PM
i know this has been covered many times probably...but is there anyway this can mess up the tranny?

dofu
04-27-2004, 11:38 PM

shifts feel a lot nicer with the bushings. if you drop something, jus take apart the column, where the cupholers are, and the dropped items will be right there... its kinda tedious to take everything apart the first time, but if you've adjusted your e-brake before, its easy...

oogy-boogy
04-28-2004, 06:10 AM
all right, all right. sorry I brought it up.
I think the real problem people had was installing just the bushings and not the shifter. I am sure doing all that for some aluminum washers and then dropping one or two can be really frustrating.

When I get the short shift kit, I will definately hit up the bushings. Thanks for the responses. Makes complete sense to me to install both at the same time instead of screwing around in there twice.

One tip for everyone with the bushings/shifter install:
When removing the silver shifter trim, push your fingers in and under the trim from the shift boot area. Try and get your fingers to the top 2 corners and pull out. This will keep the trim from getting the stress cracks in the top right and left corners. :)

Btrthnezr3
04-28-2004, 06:33 AM
Aight. Here's my .02...
I installed the bushings, and I must say getting the dash trim off was the hardest part. Those damn clips at the corner are a bitch, so in order to not run into that problem again I took the metal clips off of the corners. I also noticed it's easier to take the dash peice off if you sit in the passenger side to pull first, then switch to the drivers side to take the other side off. It just seems to work very well. I kept the metal clips, but they just made it way too difficult to take it out.

And from everything I've heard the short shift kit is very good and feels great!

Of course, I'll say the bushings are an awesome buy for $13.