PDA

View Full Version : Skunk2 Coilovers or Eibach pro kit springs???

tjtripp
04-27-2004, 05:10 AM
I've done some research and I've run into some Skunk2 coilovers for a decent price. I've also done some research but I'm wondering what you all think I should do given my situation. I have an 04 Si, with only 2000 or so miles. I would like to drop my car only an inch or so, nothing drastic, just a small improvement. This is kind of why I don't want to spend a fortune. I'd love some fully adjustable coilovers, but I'm not willing to spend that much right now.

With my given situation and intention, should I get the Skunk2 coilovers, or just get the Eibach prokit springs (1-1.1 inch drop). The drop on the Eibach sounds right, but how will the ride be between the two?? I want a nice ride, not too cushy but not to harsh. What ever's closest to stock.

Also given that I only want to drop about an inch, do you guys think I'll need a camber kit. I've read that I wont, but wouldn't mind hearing it again, just to be sure. Thanks in advance for all replies.

BlairSpeed
04-27-2004, 05:20 AM
See Link: Link to See (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35912)

And I dont think you will need a camber kit, as the pro-kit only lowers your car 1 inch.

tjtripp
04-27-2004, 05:59 AM
Thanks. I'm leaning towards a new set of springs I found on Ebay. They are Eibach Prokit springs (something like that). Any more suggestions??

JapanExpress
04-27-2004, 06:22 AM
You won't need a camber kit. And I've heard nothing but good things about the Eibachs.

03silverEP
04-27-2004, 08:09 AM
if you only want 1.0-1.1" of drop get the prokits! Eibach makes a very good spring (ie-- it's worth the $200 a set, I know you can find other springs for less but the eibach is worth it) oh, you will not need a camber kit with the prokit.

ep3si02
04-27-2004, 06:18 PM
is anyone using the skunk2 coilovers? if so hows the ride quality, is it bumpy or smooth etc.....?

idrive
04-27-2004, 06:44 PM
to the original thread poster
go with the prokit

i have the skunks... the ride is firm... but im no princess, nor is the civic a big fat luxury car... nor was a smooth ride one of skunk2s priorities when choosing spring rates... the co. is called skunk2 RACING

i wont lie - if not lubricated properly and ocasionally they clunk and ping, it can get a little bouncier than id like at times... but its nothing extreme and the stock shocks are doin great for what theyre designed for... 25K and counting...
but to anyone who wants skunks.. they need more dampening than oem can offer

stb190
04-27-2004, 07:23 PM
The Eibach Pro Kit is a very good choice, ive had the springs on for about 10,000 and the ride isnt much different (harder i mean) and u dont need a camber kit. good luck

tjtripp
04-28-2004, 06:02 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going with the Prokit. I had a bid out on Ebay for Skunk2 coilovers but I emailed the guy and had him cancel my bid. I ended buying a set of Eibach Prokits for $148. Thought I got a steal, but the shipping and insurance added up to like another $48 or something. At least they're new.

I've also read about noises coming from the suspension once installed. One guy seemed to have a problem with a nut on his swaybar coming loose. Is this common? Also will I need a realignment? Thanks for all the help guys.

vtecmdnss
04-28-2004, 12:59 PM
well I have an 04 si. im bieng told that it sits 1/2 lower than the 02/03 so if i get a pro kit would that make handling even worse by sitting an extra 1/2 in lower than the 02/03 with the pro kit due to the lower original factory stance? or would it drop my car to the same height as the earlier model?

freidaddy
04-28-2004, 04:49 PM
I have the pro kit and the ride IMO is better than stock. not to harsh and not to soft.

Btrthnezr3
04-29-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by freidaddy
I have the pro kit and the ride IMO is better than stock. not to harsh and not to soft.

I saw pics from right after you installed the springs...do you have any pictures after settling?

freidaddy
04-29-2004, 12:33 PM
no not yet but I'll take some pics later today.