PDA

View Full Version : Whats the REAL DEAL with HI-FLOW CATS

chubbychu
04-27-2004, 11:36 PM
Hey guys, ive been reading on and off about highflow cats. Now, they arent legal in cali, but i was wondering if there is any change in performance AT ALL! I know about The cel and that you can get a simulator, which brings me to antoher question, what does the simulator do? does it still let the ecu know whats going on down there? or does the simulator just fake the ecu out?

my dad seems sold on the idea that he could free up a bunch of hp with just the cat. (like the ones on ebay) but what would that do to torque?

idrive
04-28-2004, 12:56 AM
if youve got headers and a catback exhaust... i would say the only bottle neck left to free up would be the stock cat... now these "hi flow cats" are not high flow cats at all... theyre just gutted downpipes - which is the reason why they throw a cel. if it was a REAL high flow cat.. itd cost ~300 bucks and not 50 bucks. The o2 sim is a device that tricks the ecu into thinking there is a cat and that its doing its job. sorry i have no idea how they work... some ppl have had luck with them - some havent.

with the bottle neck free youre bound to gain SOME hp... how much depends on what other mods you have and how well they work together, and likely it'll be in the upper RPMs... as for torque... again depends on your mods and how well the work together... id say prepare to loose some low end and gain some mid-high to high end

USAFHondaguy
04-28-2004, 05:32 AM
What he said.

NemesisITR
04-28-2004, 09:08 AM
I have a true hiflow cat (Magnaflow) on my car and it did make a difference in the highend. No cel light with me. If you do use the simulator with the race header you will eventually throw a cel cause of the fact that your 2nd O2 sensor will foul out.

Then again I have an A2 and it takes mods better than my A3 did.

DavidT
04-28-2004, 09:08 AM
Mike, skip the high-flow cat. They're kinda useless with a stock exhaust manifold in my opinion. Save up $400 and get a DC Sports Race header when they come out. If you're gonna throw CELs...throw'em in style with a race header instead of a gutted downpipe ;) It's a mad pimp race header at a sweet price. It follow's Toda's race header lines pretty well.

Peking
04-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by DavidT
Mike, skip the high-flow cat. They're kinda useless with a stock exhaust manifold in my opinion. Save up $400 and get a DC Sports Race header when they come out. If you're gonna throw CELs...throw'em in style with a race header instead of a gutted downpipe ;) It's a mad pimp race header at a sweet price. It follow's Toda's race header lines pretty well.

Good stuff,throw cel's in stlye :cool: :D and moved.

DavidT
04-28-2004, 02:58 PM
Mike, order yours today before they're gone! http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35991 I just placed my order for the DC Ceramic Race header, only $310 shipped. The stainless one I believe is $370 shipped. It's almost identicle to Toda's Race header (Which costs over a grand) Here's a picture of the header (Except I got the ceramic not the stainless as shown):

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzczOTMzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Nice eh? :D

chubbychu
04-28-2004, 03:43 PM
dang...hardcore! you arent worried about emissions and stuff? sounds good, but i dont have 300 bucks =o(

DavidT
04-28-2004, 04:00 PM
I don't have to worry about emissions until 2006 or 2007 (Because the law states cars don't have to be smogged until 5 years from their production date), so I have a 2002, I don't have to smog till 2007. :) Of course if you sell the car to another person that law doesn't apply and you have to smog your car. But I'm not really worried about emissions, the header is a one hour job to change out. C'mon Mike, tell your dad to buy one for him and one for you. I'll install all of ours on the same day and we can go do a 3-way race to see who wins :cool: Just kidding

chubbychu
04-28-2004, 04:08 PM
hahahahha....lets see...hondata AND i/h/e(you) vs i/h/e(me) vs h/e(dad) hmmmmm.....im thining my dad will win.

well iuno...im not doing too much to the ep these days. its getting 'spensive. =o( theres just too much to buy.

my next mod is gonna be something big. (k20a2) in a couple years lol!

myeverlovinsir
04-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Mike, order yours today before they're gone! http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35991 I just placed my order for the DC Ceramic Race header, only $310 shipped. The stainless one I believe is $370 shipped. It's almost identicle to Toda's Race header (Which costs over a grand) Here's a picture of the header (Except I got the ceramic not the stainless as shown):

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzczOTMzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Nice eh? :D

DavidT, did you have to order a flange adapter for the EP3 midpipe?

Thanks

DavidT
04-28-2004, 06:08 PM
Glen, I don't have a USDM EP3 exhaust so I didn't need it ;) Though I'm sure if you had an exhaust made out for the EP3 or the stock EP3 setup then yes you would need an adaptor, or at least get a muffler shop to fit the header onto your mid-pipe.

idrive
04-28-2004, 06:08 PM
WOW thats a gorgeous piece of work...
you know its really too bad our headers arent really bling-able like them B-series folks...

EtherGhost
04-28-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by idrive
WOW thats a gorgeous piece of work...
you know its really too bad our headers arent really bling-able like them B-series folks...

Polish your intake manifold ;)

chubbychu
04-28-2004, 10:04 PM
Glen, I don't have a USDM EP3 exhaust so I didn't need it ;) Though I'm sure if you had an exhaust made out for the EP3 or the stock EP3 setup then yes you would need an adaptor, or at least get a muffler shop to fit the header onto your mid-pipe.

uhm....you got a new exhaust?

NemesisITR
04-29-2004, 08:30 AM
I wonder if that race header will bang up against our sway bar like the Type S's race header bangs up against their sway bar? Just wondering since the Type S is 23mm and ours is 25mm

fASTBACK
04-29-2004, 09:09 AM
I don't have to worry about emissions until 2006 or 2007 (Because the law states cars don't have to be smogged until 5 years from their production date), so I have a 2002, I don't have to smog till 2007. :) Of course if you sell the car to another person that law doesn't apply and you have to smog your car. But I'm not really worried about emissions, the header is a one hour job to change out. C'mon Mike, tell your dad to buy one for him and one for you. I'll install all of ours on the same day and we can go do a 3-way race to see who wins :cool: Just kidding

Wow, is this true? My inspection is due at the end of this month. Does this rule apply to Texas? I have an 02 also so I really don't need to get it inspected till 2007? This can save me alot of money.

Thanks

DavidT
04-29-2004, 04:37 PM
That is only true in Ca. States that require yearly inspections are different.

fASTBACK
04-29-2004, 09:33 PM
That is only true in Ca. States that require yearly inspections are different.

Thanks. I thought so but I was hoping for it.:)

shabba22
05-03-2004, 01:08 PM
hey i just wanted to know if gettin a high flow cat was necessary if u already have headers and a catback enxhaust