PDA

View Full Version : Skunk 2 Knob Question

stockblack'03
04-28-2004, 11:13 AM
Hey - Does anyone know how to thread the Skunk 2 knob so that the Shift pattern faces right side up? I still have the stock boot and I didn't receive the " nut " that everyone else has referred to ( yes mod's I did a search ). BTW this thing ways a TON. I can't wait to get out and drive with it.

Anyway, thanks for the help. This is my first mod, but Neuspeed Cat Back and AEM v2 are on their way here.

SB03

stockblack'03
04-28-2004, 11:21 AM
* ahem* Make that: " weighs a ton" Thank-you!

Btrthnezr3
04-28-2004, 11:32 AM
I've heard of some of the guys shoving some candy or gum wrappers into the hole of the shift knob so not all the threads are being used but it still locks tight...you'll have to do trial and error to see how many wrappers it takes though...you can probably wad them up a bit and push them in with a pencil eraser end or something. I've heard of quite a few people doing this...good luck.

rel0aded
04-28-2004, 11:34 AM
go to a hardware store, they'll have the nut

Btrthnezr3
04-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Yeah...haha...or that will work too! ;)
I just personally like having no nut there...don't like it just chilling below the knob.

Peking
04-28-2004, 11:58 AM
Moved to interior :)

stockblack'03
04-28-2004, 12:04 PM
Pencil eraser sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tip!

Btrthnezr3
04-29-2004, 07:13 AM
Let us know how it works out!

fsugatorbait
04-29-2004, 10:59 AM
You could also try to taper electrical tape around the threads on the shaft and screw down the knob onto it. I used this method with a generic knob off ebay with the CTR boot and it works like a charm.

stockblack'03
04-29-2004, 11:03 AM
Well I am still dialing in the threading on the shift knob to get it so the shift grid is properly aligned, but in the meantime I have to say I LOVE this thing. The weight is awesome!! It carries noticeable inertia into each shift and as a result my shifting is smoother, which I'm sure is the reason behind designing a know that weighs 440 grams.

Also, I figured out a decent fix for the chrome ring/stock boot problem. Basically, I located a black rubber grommet at the hardware store that slides tightly down the shift linkage and is a snug fit in the chrome ring. This keeps the boot in place and covers the top of the chrome ring so it's not just flapping around. Also, the cool thing is that I have slid it down to where I have about 1" of the linkage exposed, which is nice because it's gold, looks good and I can place the knob in my hand and keep the linkage between my middle and ring fingers. This allows for more precise shift, IMO.

Anyway, a long winded answer to a short question.

klik
05-09-2004, 10:25 PM
where can i buy the shift boot for cheap?

Ep3 No.2
05-09-2004, 10:55 PM
klik, go to gtm (aka www.jdmwheels.net)over in daly city.
i bought my knob from em last week for 45.
they only got 1 left. let em know aaron sent you over there =OP
and you have no worrys about shipping or taxes when u buy from them =O)

klik
05-13-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Ep3 No.2
klik, go to gtm (aka www.jdmwheels.net)over in daly city.
i bought my knob from em last week for 45.
they only got 1 left. let em know aaron sent you over there =OP
and you have no worrys about shipping or taxes when u buy from them =O)

Where in Daly city? is it the one in kings bowl?

Ep3 No.2
05-13-2004, 10:39 AM
i think the one next to the old kings bowl is auto reverse. and thats millbrae.

gtm's adress is 1168 hillside blvd

if you want i can meet up with u and we can roll down there together.

klik
05-13-2004, 10:59 AM
hmmm! i lived around here and i dont even know this place, i know the guy in auto reverse so ill check on him too.

I work a lot so i dont have that much time to do shit hehehe so the meet up thing is not gonna happen hehehe.
thanks for the info thought!
and yeah we have the same wing;)

ovvco
05-24-2004, 10:53 PM
Does anyone know the thread pattern?? i bought a nut that fits but will not screw all the way down.