PDA

View Full Version : Push start from S2000.

bmx269
10-15-2002, 07:44 AM
This weekend I decided to install the S2000 push start into my "ugly ass" EP. And damn does it look cool. If anyone wants to see pictures, let me know. I removed the hazzard light button and am going to move it to the other side of the shifter, hopefully this week. The chrome ring around the push start goes extremely well with the other chrome accents in the car, like the shift boot.

2k2civicSi
10-15-2002, 07:48 AM
how do you install it what do you hook it into and so on

bmx269
10-15-2002, 10:28 AM
installation. I used the instructions from this site for the wiring : http://www.jdmfan.com/technical/cosmetic/engine_start_button/

For the rest, here is what i did. On the S2000 button there is a spring clip and a plastic clip. See my diagram. The plastic clip needs to be filed off, aswell the "ridges" need to be filed so that they fit snug in the hole where the button is going. In my case the hazzard button hole. This ment filing down to just below the lower ridge, it fit nice and tight that way. Next you need to wire it up. Take the lower steering cover off, to see the starter wires, the starter on is the thick black and white wire comming out of the yellow plug. See it? good. I did NOT cut this wire, what I did was went to Canadian Tire, any automotive store will do, and got some wire splicing clips, they were around 2 bucks for 4 of them. I clamped it on the wire and ran it to the button. The other 2 wires were alot easier. ACC or Accessory is the same as the red wire on a stereo install. Its the power when the key is on. I choose an approprate wire, in my case, I spliced into the lighter wire. As for ground, under the drivers side of the dash, against the center area, there is a metal black box with a brass colored screw, this is grounded. That was all it took. Now all i do is switch the car to "ON" or when all the dash lights come on. Then with the clutch in, press "engine start" :) My diagram: http://www.digitalgumball.com/s2000.gif

bmx269
10-15-2002, 10:51 AM
Here is what it looks like installed.

http://www.digitalgumball.com/sir/center.jpg http://www.digitalgumball.com/sir/close.jpg http://www.digitalgumball.com/sir/pass.jpg http://www.digitalgumball.com/sir/car.jpg

CleanBlackSi02
10-15-2002, 11:17 AM
What radio kit is that?

ssvr6
10-15-2002, 11:18 AM
I'm not feeling it.

Steve

fishboy
10-15-2002, 11:20 AM
that is soo cool, but don't you have to worry about people breaking into your car now with a shiney red button that says push me and i will start?

jaydub
10-15-2002, 11:22 AM
Same head unit as me. ;) I haven't installed it yet, but now I want to!

bmx269
10-15-2002, 11:41 AM
The Alpine 7897 is installed without using a kit, there was no kit available, so I tried it without one, Im quite happy with the result. The push start could mean, steal me, but hey, if someone is going to steal your car, they will.

Steve... what are you not feeling?

HondaMan
10-15-2002, 12:48 PM
Nice touch, but not sure if I'm going to do all that.

SmoothOperator
10-15-2002, 01:00 PM
I think it looks good. But your head unit looks like it's sticking WAY out. Hopefully you'll be able to clean that up a little.

bmx269
10-15-2002, 01:19 PM
The head unit has a motorised faceplate that comes out of the deck. So the faceplate is ment to stick out away from the deck.

ortedd
10-15-2002, 02:31 PM
Will it start with out the key in the ignition? I thought the imobilizer should prevent that?

bmx269
10-15-2002, 03:01 PM
No, it will not start without the key.

No, it will not run the starter without the clutch in. So if a passenger pushed the button while you were driving, it would do nothing. (unless the clutch was in)

It is still needing the key to start, all the button does is the same thing your key does when you turn it past the "ON" position, it creates a circut. Its completely simple. Hope this helped. BTW, I can get the button from honda for wholesale. This is 68.00 canadian. +tax If anyone in the Vancouver area wants one, let me know.

TrippZ
10-15-2002, 05:15 PM
that is absofuckinglutely tight. i wish i had my ep back :(

i was always planning on moving the hazards to that other hole, and putting a nitrous button there instead.. .but shit, that looks tighter

ssvr6
10-15-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by bmx269

Steve... what are you not feeling?

I don't know, I don't like the placement. I also think the movement isn't fluid. I have to put the key in and turn on the accessories, then I push in the clutch and press the starter? I want to turn and go.

Not my style.

Nice install though, very clean.

Steve

civic hatch boi
10-15-2002, 06:35 PM
that's thew stupidest thing i've ever seen~... who's lazy enough to turn the key that they need to press a button.. stupid!!!!!!!!!!
almost as gay as graphics

jaydub
10-15-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
that's thew stupidest thing i've ever seen~... who's lazy enough to turn the key that they need to press a button.. stupid!!!!!!!!!!
almost as gay as graphics

Yeah, that S2000 is GAY GAY GAY...

miamijdm
10-15-2002, 06:59 PM
i think its a good idea. but I couldn't find a way to mount the hazard switch on the other side.. the mounting is completely different and the hole is a different size.

DC02Si
10-15-2002, 07:00 PM
I like it ! Nice touch. I would definately consider doing that. What is it in U.S. dollars?

dustinhurley
10-15-2002, 07:04 PM
Your car looks like Vin Diesel got ahold of it.

2k2civicSi
10-15-2002, 07:13 PM
where did you put the hazzards

DrPimpSiR
10-15-2002, 07:20 PM
It looks PIMP dude!!!!

IceD out N CALI
10-15-2002, 07:27 PM
I wouldnt ever do that, but its not that bad

bmx269
10-15-2002, 10:02 PM
the hole on the other side is too small for the hazzards, i have to modify it to fit the button. For now the button is under the dash, so i can still reach it. The button must remain plugged in for the turn signals to work. I guess the relay is on the same circut. Thanks for the feedback. BTW. The S2000 is soooo GAY, I wouldn't trade my EP in a second for one. :P

fASTBACK
10-16-2002, 07:15 AM
It looks sweet man!! Do you have to hold down the button till it starts or just push it and let go?

bmx269
10-16-2002, 09:36 AM
You have to hold it down for 2-3 seconds, until it starts the car, its the same as turning the key.

Silver '02 Si
10-16-2002, 09:37 PM
I like it alot...i also have the passive version of your alpine, iso mounted, it looks like it's a detachable face when closed and i love my deck...i'm hella ready for some real mods...got the neuspeed shifter on it's way...woohoo:D

HK_EP3
10-16-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by jaydub

Yeah, that S2000 is GAY GAY GAY...
OMG!!! what WHAT WHAT??? s2000 is gay??? thats the nicest ride out there besides the nsx, keep in mine the little 4 cylinder 240 hp!!!! no SC or turbo! AH! thats crazy! its one of the cars that werent downgraded and is selling in US!!! s2000 kicks ass, i will trade my ep for one ANY TIME!!! ANYONE WANNA TRADE?

X 2KS2K
10-17-2002, 10:38 AM
I traded my s2k for an ep straight up. after one hell of a ping pong match where my pistons were the paddles and an intake valve was the ball. personally, i think i came out ahead on the trade. now my back window is as clear as day, i can carry 5 passengers, and my car is immaculate. i bought the s2k used, it was awesome, but it never quite felt like mine. my ep is my baby. i love it unconditionally and if anyone messes with it, they better run.

CleanBlackSi02
10-17-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by X 2KS2K
I traded my s2k for an ep straight up. after one hell of a ping pong match where my pistons were the paddles and an intake valve was the ball. personally, i think i came out ahead on the trade. now my back window is as clear as day, i can carry 5 passengers, and my car is immaculate. i bought the s2k used, it was awesome, but it never quite felt like mine. my ep is my baby. i love it unconditionally and if anyone messes with it, they better run.
So how's the transition been from S2000 to ep...positive and negative...

PoRT
10-17-2002, 12:21 PM
im curious to know how you are going to modify that other hole with out messing up the finish on the plastic. are you going to just file it out and put a rubber lip around the hole? how much smaller is the hole than the hazzard button? im just curious. miamijdm.. did you do this also? where did you mount the hazzards? and i wonder why they would make one hole smaller then the other

X 2KS2K
10-17-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02

So how's the transition been from S2000 to ep...positive and negative...

since i've installed the pro-kit springs it's been pretty good. at first the ride was waaay too soft and too much body roll. i do miss the power and the rwd, but in day to day driving, i like my ep as much if not more. it helped that it rained for the first week or so after i got it. this car is a million times better to drive in the rain. i still miss the s2k on nice sunny days, and warm nights, when i see miatas or bimmers driving around with the top down, but all in all i've been pretty happy. the ep is my first "new" car and maybe that is part of it, but i really do love the car. even the looks are growing on me... the drop helped a ton, now i need some wheels and all will be good.

positive - much better in inclimate weather, much more usable space, fits my personality better, BIG warranty, perfect condition inside and out, insurance dropped, cheaper gas, get to let my hair grow out again

negative - big drop in power, no start button (had to keep with the theme), no 6-speed, no drop dead gorgeous looks, but now i know the women want me for me and not my honda... well, maybe :)

all in all i'm pretty happy. it does get annoying when people come up and try to console me on having to trade in my s2k for the ep. shit man, it doesn't bother me at all. i just love to drive a unique car that's fun to drive, and the ep is a blast.

yomamaInMySi
10-23-2002, 01:45 PM
nice attitude X, I'm in the same boat. I traded my M3 for an EP and I'm happy with it. Not to mentioned the same points that you've already covered, warranty, new, unique, lower monthly payments, lower insurance etc. Oh by the way same thing with the girl, she like me and not the M3, well I hope.:D

HK_EP3
10-23-2002, 02:46 PM
what year m3 did u have? the old ones r "ok"... but the new ones kicks ass!!!

STP03BlueSI
11-12-2002, 05:13 PM
ok i have one question...with the key not turned how do u stop the car? i know it is a stupid ? but hey i am still new at this!:D ;)

BarracksSi
11-12-2002, 08:43 PM
If I'm reading this right...

Normally, the key has three positions... well, OK, four. Off; Accessory (radio); On (everything else -- sunroof, heater fan, etc); and a twist-to-activate starter position. The last position only works when pressure is applied, the returns to the On position.

The start button works just like that fourth Starter key position -- but only that position. The key remains On, but the button only takes the place of the twist-to-start position. To turn off the car, twist the key back to Off just as before.

Do I have that right?

Cone Killer
11-13-2002, 07:33 AM
bingo

Mikael
11-13-2002, 09:39 AM
OK, I got the button, wired it up, got it to work, put my panels back on and it didn't work. I took off the panels, rewired it, tried new wires - still nothing. Any ideas? There's not like a fuse in the button I could have blown, is there? Also, the link to the JDMFan instructions no longer works (if anyone has them saved or knows where else they are, they'd be helpful) so I looked at some other sets of instructions for installs of the button into Miatas and Preludes and such. Pretty much all of the other versions I saw used a relay. From http://www.swcp.com/~sharka/brb/:

"You need the Button and the SPDT (single pole double throw) relay. You CAN NOT install the button without a relay. Not only is it unsafe (30 amps is way more than enough to stop your heart) but your shiny new button will also become trash after about 2 weeks of 30 amps flowing through it. Don't leave out the relay!"

What do you guys think? I don't know much about this stuff so help me out. Thanks.

bmx269
11-13-2002, 11:12 AM
Whats this relay shit, you dont need it. The S2000 button is made to go straight to power like the diagram. 30Amps, have you ever installed an amp for subs, straight power from the battery, you can touch the contacts and not get a shock. A transformer could increase the power, so it is not an issue.

The fuse idea may be correct. In the fuse panel look for the fuse Audio/ACC its a small 7.5 amp fuse, you may have blown that fuse. To test it, switch the car to ACC and see if the radio works. The fuse that blew may be different depending on where you tied in you power. The next most important thing for the button to work is ground. I moved my ground the first time because it worked on and off. It was not a good ground. My friend tied his button into the power AND ground from the lighter/power outlet and it works like a charm. Try checking fuses, then checking ground, the switch is quite simple in concept, all it does is create a circut, like hot wiring a car.

Tekdemon
04-21-2003, 06:40 AM
lol, I know in the S2000 it's mostly for looks...and it works there since I guess it helps complete the "this car is not practical, it is a sports car, you want to drive it, you want to go through the motions just so you will be reminded that this is a sports car" kind of thing...

But honestly, in a more practical car like the EP I don't really see the logic of turning my key to on, then letting go and not turning it just a little more, and instead clutching in then pressing a button to the right of the key...

Just seems kinda silly =p

Anyway, I was at the dealer and I saw the keys for the 2003 EPs! I'm pissed now cuz I want the new keys...not only does it look more freaky, but the rubber part at the top is different!

On the other hand my car was a lot cheaper hahaha =P

padelong si
04-21-2003, 02:12 PM
Were did you put your flasher button at?

minimay7
04-23-2003, 12:54 AM
I know a starter button is not on the "functionality department". But, some of us like that little ritual/sequence, evertime we start the car. It kinda adds little more dedication than just turning the key... I dunno... I could be just full of it...

Anywho....

Hey, BMX269, what's the word on putting the hazard button on the right side? If you haven't done it yet, can you please consider doing DIY?? I think previous post about how you will solve the dash clean after widening the hole is a good issue to cover too:)

bmx269
04-23-2003, 08:18 AM
Sure, I am always forgetting to do that.

02SilverSiHB
10-15-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by bmx269
to see the starter wires, the starter on is the thick black and white wire comming out of the yellow plug. See it? good.
actually mine was brown...I was looking all over the place for a yellow one :D This fucking picture is cracking me up, I just noticed it as I'm posting it. hahahaaaa. That's my damn hairy knee at the bottom...I sware!
http://a9.cpimg.com/image/FF/73/24732159-5b3c-02000180-.jpg

josephwillidog
12-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Wow, 02SilverSiHB, you might want to have that looked at... looks like you might have gotten something last time you went to Vegas...
;) j/k dude

CivicSiR
12-08-2003, 09:59 AM
I jock it. "I

CivicSiR
02-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Well, guess no one responded since my last post. But since then I've done it myself... also rewired the hazards over to the other side of the shifter.

http://www.bretgorden.com/images/civicsi/enginestart3.jpg
http://www.bretgorden.com/images/civicsi/enginestart4.jpg

4g63dsm
02-16-2004, 03:27 AM
i'd be interested in the questions you asked earlier. would you mind answering them for me. Alsoi have the cf trim kit too, was it hard to remove the dash with out breaking it?

CivicSiR
02-16-2004, 09:58 AM
4g63dsm,

Yeah I'll answer.... firstly, all you need to do is get the kit off ebay... I paid like 59 bucks or something...make sure the one you're buying is from a legit seller obviously, and who's sold lots of these before. The kit will have everything you need.

Second, before I installed the button, I was wondering if the engine could still be started by turning the key once you've installed the button. The answer is YES. It can. You're going to have to have someone who really knows what they're doing to install this--if you're a layperson like me--I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself. Plus, to move the hazard over to the other side you have to reaattach it really well to the other side using glue or somehow melt it on.

Once it's on you'll love it though. Everyone thinks it's really cool. haha. good luck man.

PAPITUYO326
02-24-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by CivicSiR
4g63dsm,

Yeah I'll answer.... firstly, all you need to do is get the kit off ebay... I paid like 59 bucks or something...make sure the one you're buying is from a legit seller obviously, and who's sold lots of these before. The kit will have everything you need.

so the ebay kit came with everything...

do u remember the seller???

CivicSiR
02-24-2004, 11:18 PM
Yeah it came with everything. Don't remember the seller...but should be easy to find...and just make sure he sells a lot of them w/ a good positive feedback rate.