PDA

View Full Version : Factory CD--Overheat

DrPimpSiR
10-15-2002, 01:46 PM
Has anyone had their factory head unit shutdown and display "Hot" ?
Mine always does when it's been playing CD's for like two hours straight at 3/4 volume.
I'm going to the dealer with this. I just wanted to see if it's common.:mad:

jaydub
10-15-2002, 01:55 PM
Shouldn't be too common. I've never had that happen in any of my Civics, and only one of my aftermarket units ever did it, and it had been playing non-stop for 8-9 hours (long drive!)

I'd see about a replacement.

fishboy
10-15-2002, 03:20 PM
happened to me once, but didn't display "hot." it just wouldn't play the cd i put in so i ejected and let is sit for a few seconds, popped it back in and it worked, this was after an hour and a half of driving. only once though did that happen. the last time i went to vegas i used the cd player the whole way and it didn't to it at all.

BlasTech
10-15-2002, 03:34 PM
Maybe it didnt like your choice of music?

Seriously, at least it tells you why it stopped and doesnt just go until meltdown. Did you by any chance have anything stuffed into the pocket below the head unit? maybe heat can escape better if that's empty?

TrippZ
10-15-2002, 05:18 PM
maybe it was because it was so long at so high? i know taht i used to put it to 1/2 volume and my head was hurting sooo bad because it was so loud... maybe it was putting too much energy out

DrPimpSiR
10-15-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
Maybe it didnt like your choice of music?

Did you by any chance have anything stuffed into the pocket below the head unit? maybe heat can escape better if that's empty?
Maybe, but it shouldn't make a difference. I keep some CD's there. It gets pretty hot, when I pop the CD out it's noticably hot to the touch. This is driving last night, windows cracked, here in Canada (40 degrees f.)

DrPimpSiR
10-15-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by TrippZ
maybe it was because it was so long at so high? i know taht i used to put it to 1/2 volume and my head was hurting sooo bad because it was so loud... maybe it was putting too much energy out
Maybe not enough output. I have it at 3/4 and I could crank it even more before it becomes unbearable. Mine could be using too much energy for the sound level that is being produced.?!?!

IceD out N CALI
10-15-2002, 07:28 PM
I played Cd's the whole time this summer on a trip to Vegas. 3+hours, no probs here ;)

grooveline
10-16-2002, 03:29 PM
i noticed DRpimpSIR that you are in Canada... did you happen to have the heater going? next time you are in your car put your hand in the cubby hole, the one below the radio while driving. when the A/C is on the cubby is cool. when the heater is going the cubby is hot.....

DrPimpSiR
10-16-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by grooveline
i noticed DRpimpSIR that you are in Canada... did you happen to have the heater going? next time you are in your car put your hand in the cubby hole, the one below the radio while driving. when the A/C is on the cubby is cool. when the heater is going the cubby is hot.....
I thought this too. On Friday I traveled 500 km to my parents, it was cold-ish so I had the heat in the purple range (red+blue=purple.) It happened. Monday night I travelled home 500km with the thought of this happening again, so I dressed warm and kept the window open slightly. It happened again. Tomorrow I'm going to call my dealer.

Beachya
10-17-2002, 04:51 PM
frick this happened to me too, but i was working the lot when I did valet so i just sat there with the cd going for like hour and half then the speakers sounded like they were blown...all chopped up like and then the car shuts off, couldn't get any power for about 20 minutes...not cool!