PDA

View Full Version : Odd sounds driving 2004 ep in rain

michaelb34
04-29-2004, 06:27 AM
I've just driven my 2004 ep in heavy rain for the first time.

It's difficult to describe, but it sounded as though there was a lot of water sloshing/spraying around in the driver-side rear wheel-well or in the door-jamb! I pulled over under a cover and checked both spots.... I didn't see any more water than would be expected.

Mine is a totally stock 2004 (build date 1/2004) recently purchased. The sound went away as the rain diminished. While it was happening, it was very noticeable though!

I'm wondering whether the body flares on the lower sides of the car are the culprit. I think they're a new design on the 2004 models.

I read some other posts about sounds from the passenger side during rain possibly caused by aftermarket exhausts, but I don't think this is it. The noise seemed to be coming from the driver side only, but there could be some from the passenger side that I'm not hearing from my position in the driver's seat.

I'd like to hear if anyone else is experiencing this.

By the way, I love the car! No regrets whatsoever about buying it. Traded in a 1999 Golf GTI with VR6 engine, which I enjoyed at the time, but don't miss at all since getting the ep.

diab0lical
04-29-2004, 07:27 AM
yea i get a dripping sound..seems to be coming from both doors..but nothing is leaking

04SI27893
04-29-2004, 07:51 AM
ok, what you are hearing may be the tire noise in heavy rain, my 02 and 04 do it, i looked and looked and never found anything wrong, check this, when it rains again get up to speed and let off the gas and give it the gas, see if the noise changes .....i think it is the mich pilots moving water/channeling it away from the center of tire to keep tire in contact with road... you may not hear the noise once the tires get some miles on em..anyway check that and see what happens.....04si27893:cool:

Ep3 No.2
04-29-2004, 11:39 AM
my 03 si used to always do this on the pasenger side door jam. i used to get tripped out. id pull over and check but id find nothing. hasnt happend in my 04 yet. but its prolly cause i havnt driven it in hard rain yet. i think that noise is perfectly fine though.

k20hatch
04-29-2004, 12:07 PM
I do not drive mine in rain. but somtime in heavy rain when its setting outside i have just a little bit of water in my drivers side floor. Just enough to make you mad!

audomatik
04-29-2004, 01:11 PM
i can hear water dripping on my exhaust or midpipe... now that bugs the shit out of me. i dont know why it does it.

foilpan
04-29-2004, 04:50 PM
check your spare tire well. some people have had leaks in the hatch or hatch glass seal. you might have a little puddle in the trunk. i think there's a drain plug, too, so it might drain off slowly.

mine has been fine, but i used to have something like that happen occasionally with my '91 si.

it's worth a look.

michaelb34
04-29-2004, 06:00 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I'll wait for the next rainy day and look into it further. I'll be sure to post if I find anything out...

VividDreams
04-29-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by diab0lical
yea i get a dripping sound..seems to be coming from both doors..but nothing is leaking

ditto, i hear it in the door jambs. noticed it shortly after i bought my EP, i asked my gf at the time if she heard it too, and she did. im not real worried about it cause i havent had a leak yet, it just makes me wonder WHY it does it. i mean, my 01 Coupe didnt do it, and my moms 03 sedan doesnt do it. and the doors are all made in a similar way(different shapes, but similar construction style)