PDA

View Full Version : ticket for side tint, installed by dealer.

siver-SI
04-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Well after a year of having my car I got a ticket for my front side tint that my dealer had installed on my car even before I looked at it. I had thought it was legal because when I called my state they stated that it was legeal if it was before I took delivery. Problem is that my tint is film stuff so that makes it illegal and state did not tell me that part of the officer did when he brought out the book on it.

I am a little upset right now but not horrable since my court date is not till June 11th so I have some time to figure this out. I do not have to show up to court if I do not want I can just pay the $75 ticket.

So this is my idea and I think it is fair. Go to my dealership and be nice at first and tell them what happend to the tint that they told me was legal when I bought the car. Then I want them in uninstall the tint at no cost to me, pay the $75 ticket, and reinburse me $50 for the lost of the tint that I payed for. The $50 I will give on, but not the other two.

If they do not agree to any of this then I will contact the BBB, and I am try to think of who else to contact. That is were I am asking for help. Who else should I contact for missleading a customer and selling illegal parts?

The officer all so wondered were I got the car because of the tint he was surprised to find out it was the local dealer. So he even told me if they need clarification on the law tell them to call up the state police. This is what I am going to tell them too. The cop was kind of cool because he told me what the dealer could try to pull off and who to contact with police to make sure I had all the right info.

Yea it sucks that I got busted, but nothing much I can do about it. The front tint was light and I will notice some diffence but not a lot. Mostly I am just wondering who should I contact to make them want to help me if they do not want too?

Also if they give me a hassle the two front windows are starting to bubble so they need to be repaired anyways so I can not see them giving me a hard time taking it off with no cost to me.

thanks

Peking
04-29-2004, 09:00 PM
Interesting, most folks who get a ticket for tint. Usually work out a deal where they just take it off and not pay a fine. Call (number on the ticket), and contact the person who will prosecute you. This is so below their time, they most likely let you go.

Also get something from the dealer proving it is legal (or atleast they did it without your knowledge), that can help you too.

siver-SI
04-29-2004, 09:06 PM
Problem with that is since it is a little town I have to go to county court since this town does not have its own court house. They are so small they are I think only a village. But if I go to court I think I can get it dropped if I have it taken off, but then I have to take a half day from work to do it. So I figure save my self the problem of that have the dealership take care of the ticket. In IL the only options I have is pay the ticket or go to court and plead not guilty.

speedking604
04-29-2004, 09:15 PM
just take it off and take pic of it. just tell them you dont know it's illegal. you have a right to have one warning then if they cought you again then that's the time you'll get fine. my question is ,,, did any cop give you warning about your tint before??? if not then you have a chance to win.usually if they pardon you, they will ask you to go to police station, then you will tell them to check your car for you then if they see your car without the tint then you dont need to pay the ticket.

EtherGhost
04-29-2004, 10:05 PM
(625 ILCS 5/12-503)
Sec. 12-503. Windshields must be unobstructed and equipped with
wipers.
(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any sign, poster,
window application, reflective material, nonreflective material or
tinted film upon the front windshield, sidewings or side windows
immediately adjacent to each side of the driver. A nonreflective tinted
film may be used along the uppermost portion of the windshield if such
material does not extend more than 6 inches down from the top of the
windshield. Nothing in this Section shall create a cause of action on
behalf of a buyer against a dealer or manufacturer who sells a motor
vehicle with a window which is in violation of this Section.
(b) Nothing contained in this Section shall prohibit the use of
nonreflective, smoked or tinted glass, nonreflective film, perforated
window screen or other decorative window application on windows to the
rear of the driver's seat, except that any motor vehicle with a window
to the rear of the driver's seat treated in this manner shall be
equipped with a side mirror on each side of the motor vehicle which are
in conformance with Section 12-502.

silver-SI, ignorance of the law isn't an excuse that would hold up in court. It is very strange that IL does not allow any type of film tinting. The dealer should have known about that. I saw go through with your plan and talk to them.

bobdobbs
04-29-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by speedking604
just tell them you dont know it's illegal. you have a right to have one warning
What planet are you living on? You have no such right. :rolleyes:

VividDreams
04-29-2004, 11:22 PM
whats with all the fuss? the dealer put it on, you bought the car with it on casue the dealer wrongly told you that it was legal. so, take it to the dealer, say that they WILL take it off, they WILL paty the fine(and any applicable coourt costs), and they WILL reimburse you the price you paid for the tint when you bought it, since, had you known it was illegal, you wouldnt have bought it.

if they dont want to, take it to the BBB and the state police.

when you go to court tell them that the dealer put it on, you bought the car with it on casue the dealer wrongly told you that it was legal.

tell them that you took it to the dealer and had them take it off. shoiw them pics of the car and if they need more proof, they can look at the car that will be sitting outside

do not give in to the dealer. they were wrong, not you. you didnt know.

EP3.. 2.. 1 GO
04-29-2004, 11:37 PM
Just do what I did already few times in court here in Illinois. I have 5%all around and last time when I got ticket for front tinted windows a just open the windows and took the pic of it. When I went to court I told them that I didn't know that was illegal so next day I took the film out!!! The judge said dismiss and I dind't pay even a 1 cent:D Works in every court in Illinois:D

Ps. Don't pay $75, just go to court with the pic. If you're afraid that they will notice that windows are open than just do a pic of different Si with the same color. Both way will work for you for sure!!!!

Mighty_Mouse
04-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by VividDreams

Ignorance is STILL not an excuse. He should have known better and it's his own fault for not educating himself.

the JigGa mAn
04-29-2004, 11:44 PM
whats with all the fuss? the dealer put it on, you bought the car with it on casue the dealer wrongly told you that it was legal. so, take it to the dealer, say that they WILL take it off, they WILL paty the fine(and any applicable coourt costs), and they WILL reimburse you the price you paid for the tint when you bought it, since, had you known it was illegal, you wouldnt have bought it.

if they dont want to, take it to the BBB and the state police.

when you go to court tell them that the dealer put it on, you bought the car with it on casue the dealer wrongly told you that it was legal.

tell them that you took it to the dealer and had them take it off. shoiw them pics of the car and if they need more proof, they can look at the car that will be sitting outside

you didnt put it on..the dealer did...be nice about it but be firm..dont go in rasing hell if you havent talked to anyone...also talk to the sales manager and let him/her know about the problem

VividDreams
04-30-2004, 12:08 AM
^^^ thats what im saying

Ignorance is STILL not an excuse. He should have known better and it's his own fault for not educating himself.

so your telling me, any joe schmoe(a 45 yera old mom for example, that couldnt care less about tint) that buys a car from this dealer is as guilty as someone who advertantly breaks the law knowing that its illegal?

i doubt it

Bicho6
04-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Very weird that the dealer would advise as to whether the tint was legal or not. All the places around my area that install tint will install as dark as you want but they will not advise you as to whether it is legal or not. Even the lightest tint they won't say your cool.

Here is what I did. I went to my doctor told him that the continous sunglare hurts my eyes when i'm driving. He wrote a sort of formal letter/note/perscription making the tint mandated for my eyes. I brought that to court and it work like a charm... i just have to keep that note in my glove compartment and when a cop pulls me over i flash that too him

Mighty_Mouse
04-30-2004, 05:31 PM
^^^ thats what im saying

so your telling me, any joe schmoe(a 45 yera old mom for example, that couldnt care less about tint) that buys a car from this dealer is as guilty as someone who advertantly breaks the law knowing that its illegal?

i doubt it

I don't care if you doubt it or not. There's no such thing as being "as guilty". It's guilty or not guilty. It's his fault for being ignorant of the law.

Bicho6
04-30-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
I don't care if you doubt it or not. There's no such thing as being "as guilty". It's guilty or not guilty. It's his fault for being ignorant of the law.

i agree totally ... its as if one were to go to another country and break a law there where in the US it is legal... just because you are ignorant of the laws doesn't me you don't have have to follow them ... you knew in your mind that tint might be illegal .. that is why you asked the dealer.... lesson to learn?? don't take legal advice from a car sales man ... if you are unsure of a law go to your local police station....

siver-SI
04-30-2004, 06:08 PM
I was not ignorant. I had called the state on it and they said it was legel when I bought the EP. What they did not tell me though was that if it was film it was not legal. That is were I got screwed by the state too. If I was ignorant I would have not even called the state. Mostly there was a miss understanding between me and the state, and my dealership.

Mighty_Mouse
04-30-2004, 06:28 PM
Misunderstanding or no, it's still your fault for being ignorant of the law. Period.

siver-SI
04-30-2004, 07:20 PM
How I am ignorant when I was told by the Secerty of State office of IL that it was legal to have it? I asked them about the tint in the first week I got the car. When they looked it over they failed to mention to me that removable tint is not allowed. I asked the dealership when before I bought if it was legal they said yes. I got missinformed. Even the state told me to put my sales list in my car to show an officer that it was installed on the car before I had taken delivery. They were the ones that stated to me if it was installed before delivery was taken it was legal. If the state tells you it is legal then how is the ingnorance?

If I would have just thought to myself that it was legal and never did anything to check it then yes I would have been ignorant.

Even the officer was shocked that an IL dealer sold the car like this new. When we talked he even told me if the dealership does give me a problem to call the State Police and they will help me in the matter. I talked with the officer for a 1/2 on the side of the road getting all the right information and what I need to do with my car and what I would need to get to get the ticket voided if I wanted to keep the tint.

I am not taking this out on the officer at all. I am mad at the dealership if anything. I went there today and the sales manager was not in today. I am going to go in Monday not tommarow since they are very busy on the weekend. I want to walk in there and not try and cause problems for them.

What I should have done this is what officer told me it if I have any questions allways call the state police. Even the officer told me that the Secerty of State can give false information since they do not have all the updated books on trafic violations. This is what that state did to me.

What mistake I did do was not call the police on the matter. This was my only mistake since I thought calling the state of IL would have been enough to get the correct information.

Mighty_Mouse
04-30-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
What mistake I did do was not call the police on the matter. This was my only mistake since I thought calling the state of IL would have been enough to get the correct information.

Yes, your mistake. I understand that you were given false information and hopefully they will take that into account and let you just have the tint removed (by the dealer) and not have to pay a fine. It was, and still is, your fault though. Ignorance is not an excuse.

VividDreams
04-30-2004, 11:44 PM
mouse, whats your deal man?

are you saying that youve read EVERY SINGLE letter of EVERY SINGLE STATE and FEDERAL law so that you dont ever do anything wrong?

How I am ignorant when I was told by the Secerty of State office of IL that it was legal to have it? I asked them about the tint in the first week I got the car. When they looked it over they failed to mention to me that removable tint is not allowed. I asked the dealership when before I bought if it was legal they said yes. I got missinformed. Even the state told me to put my sales list in my car to show an officer that it was installed on the car before I had taken delivery. They were the ones that stated to me if it was installed before delivery was taken it was legal. If the state tells you it is legal then how is the ingnorance?

mouse, youre saying that you would have said "No, officer YOURE WRONG! it is ILLEGAL, youre ignorant sir! I know more than you!"

well?:rolleyes:

Mighty_Mouse
04-30-2004, 11:52 PM
You don't get it either, do you? I'm not saying that I know all of the laws and I may not have done anything differently in his situation. What you each seem incapable of comprehending is that IGNORANCE OF THE LAW IS NOT AN EXCUSE.

p.s. Learn to read. The officer was correct.

well?:rolleyes:

VividDreams
05-01-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
I'm not saying that I know all of the laws and I may not have done anything differently in his situation....IGNORANCE OF THE LAW IS NOT AN EXCUSE.....The officer was correct.

man youre full of contradictions. first you say that you would have done the same thing, then you say that we are wrong because we were "ignorant of the law". then you say the officer was correct. how can the officer be correct if he told him that it was legal when it was not?

i understand that you are trying to make a point that hte court may say that he should have investigated farther and actually read the law, as it was written, for himself instead of going by what people tell him. however, wouldnt you take what the Sec. of State, a State officer, and all the other people that told him it was legal, and believe it?

also, i think that if he shows that the car was bought with it on, he should get off free, i mean, the dealer should not be putting an illegal "thing" on a car they are going to sell, especially if they are a registered inspection station.

when you buy a car, you trust that it is legal to be driven on the road. its not written somewhere that "buyer is responsible for ensuring the legality of purchased automobile before registering the vehicle for use in the state of "X""

are you telling me that when you bought your car that you went over every inch before you signed the papers to make sure that it was 100% legal for use in your state according to the laws of your state, while taking refernce from the ENTIRE Motor Vehicle code which is written in black and white between the covers of the binder which you have in your hand, which you just so happen to carry with you when you purchase a car. and a copy of which you have in your glove compartment so that if you see a trooper rolling down the road in an un-marked car with illegally tinted windows, you can motion for him to pull over and go through the MV code and tell him that he is breaking the law

Mighty_Mouse
05-01-2004, 12:23 AM
how can the officer be correct if he told him that it was legal when it was not?

Sorry. When did the police officer tell him it was legal?

Bicho6
05-01-2004, 12:26 AM
again mouse is right.... i don't want to say anymore cause this is a thread where people are just repeating themselves....

again what have we learned?

when we need legal advise go to a lawyer :)

VividDreams
05-01-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by siver-SI
I was told by the Secerty of State office of IL that it was legal to have it....I asked them about the tint in the first week I got the car. When they looked it over they failed to mention to me that removable tint is not allowed.....the state told me to put my sales list in my car to show an officer that it was installed on the car before I had taken delivery. They were the ones that stated to me if it was installed before delivery was taken it was legal. If the state tells you it is legal then how is the ingnorance?

he was told it was ok to have it and was encouraged to put proof of it in his car

Mighty_Mouse
05-01-2004, 12:38 AM
he was told it was ok to have it and was encouraged to put proof of it in his car

Again, show me where a police officer told him that it was legal. Time to put up or STFU.

VividDreams
05-01-2004, 12:42 AM
so it wasnt the cop, however, it WAS someone from the state who had the reference available to them, no?

Mighty_Mouse
05-01-2004, 12:54 AM
so it wasnt the cop, however, it WAS someone from the state who had the reference available to them, no?

LOL. So which is it? You can't even get the story straight.

Now you'd like to blame someone else for not looking up the code when this guy should have done it himself? He didn't even bother to ask a police officer (you know, the people who actually write the tickets). Damm. How lazy and worthless can you be? How about taking responsibility for your own actions or inactions and not blaming everyone else?

This is boring. I'm out.

Stay in school.

VividDreams
05-01-2004, 01:01 AM
officers are not always right you know...

the point is that you buy a car trusting that it is legal to drive, especially if its a NEW car, right? if the dealer wouldnt have installed somthing illegal in the first place, we wouldnt be having this argument now would we?

speedking604
05-01-2004, 03:30 PM
have you guys ever see the tint window installed by other genius people??? you wont feel the tint coz its in the middle of the glass.the bad thing is that you need to bring your glass to them and they will make same size as your glass but with the tint in the middle.

Bicho6
05-01-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by speedking604
have you guys ever see the tint window installed by other genius people??? you wont feel the tint coz its in the middle of the glass.the bad thing is that you need to bring your glass to them and they will make same size as your glass but with the tint in the middle.

is anyone else just as lost as I am about what the hell he is trying to say??? LOLOL

siver-SI
05-01-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Bicho6
is anyone else just as lost as I am about what the hell he is trying to say??? LOLOL

I am too.

VividDreams
05-01-2004, 11:36 PM
i think he is talking about tint impregnated glass. i think a lot of suv's, vans, etc come with that from the factory. well, we have it to, but its the 3% green solar tint

speedking604
05-02-2004, 04:13 PM
thanks vivid dreams.....in my country this thing is very popular and it's not illegal and you can install the darkiest one.the bad thing is, they need to measure your existing glass then they will replace it with the glass with tint. you can't fill it off the tint once there done and the onlyway to uninstall the tint is by putting back your old glass.

Bicho6
05-02-2004, 07:40 PM
still not really understanding ... but my bad for not realizing english is not your first language.... my bad... mean no disrespect

esmith13
05-02-2004, 08:47 PM
Mighty_Mouse is 100% correct. I understand exactly what he is saying and the rest of you need to just calm down and get over it.

siver-SI, goto the dealer and act out your plan. if they don't give you EVERYTHING u ask for - call the BBB. If they give some and not all - take it and call the BBB and tell them the story and see if they want to fight for you to get the rest.

Oh, find another dealer for any future problems too - don't give those idiots any more of your money.

Eric

speedking604
05-02-2004, 10:24 PM
bicho6....

no need to be sorry....i know most of the members here nice! i wish i could tell you more but i think i need to learn more english.

todaCspec
05-03-2004, 06:21 AM
It's the time of the month and they need to meet the quota. Try the dealer first, if they try to screw you then just take off the driver side tint and take a picture of the correction, send it in. No fine, ticket dismissed due to correction of problem. Most new cars come tinted all around except for driver side window, although those are not removeable tint. Same concept, listen to me!:)

siver-SI
05-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Well went to the dealership today and they took a photo copy of my ticket and they said that he would look into it and see what he can do. I am going to give him a week and go from there. I figure first be nice with them and go from there. He seemed shocked to see that I got a ticket.