PDA

View Full Version : 91 oct = Detonation

dchu
04-29-2004, 09:17 PM
Okay first off my car is near stock except for comptech street header and this has been happening even without the header. Whenever I'm flooring it, around 6k rpm I hear some faint crackling which goes away for a split second then comes back for another split second. It seems as if the ecu senses the initial pinging and backs off the timing a little until it comes back again. The crackling sounds like crunching cellophane. I've always used chevron 87 oct, but I started using 89 oct and still got pinging. This last tank I filled with 91 oct and I'm still getting the same pinging. WTF is wrong with my POS? :o

Peking
04-29-2004, 09:30 PM
Take her into the dealer, I highly doubt it is detonation caused my the octane. Alot of use use 91, and also folks like to jump around when it comes to octanes.

Adubb
04-29-2004, 09:32 PM
well.. not to mention that it's not totally great for the engine to be ran that hard. perhaps you should drive normal, try that!:p

amctmg
04-29-2004, 09:43 PM
You may just be hearing your exhaust valves slapping the seats resonating through your headers or maybe somethings loose or vibrating like your header bracket

2.25CrushBent
04-29-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Adubb
well.. not to mention that it's not totally great for the engine to be ran that hard. perhaps you should drive normal, try that!:p

ummm...... doesn't just about everyone on this site drive that hard?

ntense-visions
04-29-2004, 10:00 PM
I think driving hard is driving normal to most people.

EtherGhost
04-29-2004, 10:00 PM
Not on the street... gas is expensive :(

AutoX, :cool:

dchu
04-29-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Adubb

Okay Sissy Jackson...I didn't say I redlined at every stoplight and doing it every once in awhile will decrease the life of the engine by .23214%.:rolleyes: Do you think honda engineered this engine to handle only up to 3k rpm? If you don't know wtf you're talking about then stfu.

As for the people that actually had a usefull reply, I doubt it has anything to do with the header bracket because it has been doing this before I had the header and I retightened all the bolts with the new header. Never heard valve slap before but it only occurs in the range of ~5800-6500 rpm.

amctmg
04-29-2004, 10:45 PM
definately take it to honda