PDA

View Full Version : Anyone installed the 3m clear bra

tjtripp
04-30-2004, 09:26 PM
I've just installed the invinca-shield clear bra on my Si and I was wondering if anyone else has done this. I have confidence in the product because I had my on my bimmer for 3 years with no problems. Most of my friends never knew it was there. Here is a link to a company that gets the material from 3M and then cuts out kits for most of the cars out there. Check it out.

www.invinca-shield.com

I was also asking because once it's installed the only thing you'll really notice is that the bra gets some pretty good surface scratches from the squeege. Nothing deep, just like you'd get on your car over time. It's only noticable in direct sunlight. I would like to know if anyone has had this experience and has been successful in buffing these scratches out. 3M's website says to not use abrasives on it. It's just kind of stands out to me because my car is new and has relativly no surface scratches.

tjtripp
04-30-2004, 09:30 PM
Oh yeah, I was thinking of using meguiars scrath x on it since it's supposed to be non-abrasive. That stuff is awesome. If anyone is interested, just reply to this post and I'll keep you guys informed.

davidc81
05-05-2004, 06:48 PM
all scratch removers (polishes) contain abrassives. the abrassives round and level out your micro surface scratches, so to say that something will remove scratches without abrassives would be pretty much impossible. a wax on the other hand, will fill in these scratches and temporarily give you the illusion of a scratch free finish.

02civicSI
05-05-2004, 06:51 PM
can i see this product in person? i am getting the jdm bodykit soon and i want to see if this stuff works.

Mighty_Mouse
05-05-2004, 10:04 PM
If anyone's interested, I've got one of the clear bra kits for sale in the classifieds section. They work really well.

02civicSI
05-06-2004, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
If anyone's interested, I've got one of the clear bra kits for sale in the classifieds section. They work really well.

is it made for the usdm bumper? or is it universal?

Mighty_Mouse
05-06-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by 02civicSI
is it made for the usdm bumper? or is it universal?

USDM, though I can't say for sure if it wouldn't fit the JDM bumper. It also covers the hood, fenders and side mirrors.

bao_pay
05-06-2004, 01:36 PM
I've been thinking about doing the same thing with regular clear vynil(is that how you spell it?) Its kinda like the stuff at the bottom of your door when you pick up the car from honda. If you look close enough... the BODY at the bottom rear corner of where the door sits when closed, there is a little piece of clear vynil there. It would be a lot cheaper and your bumper won't look like ass after you take it to the track...

evilep3
05-06-2004, 02:27 PM
if someone has one on their ep id like to see some pics! sounds interesting.

02civicSI
05-06-2004, 03:37 PM
yea i would like to see if they have one for the jdm bumper/lip. i would be inerested in a mirror and hood one though. i wonder if you can cut around that stuff because i have hood pins.

ragebomb
05-06-2004, 10:55 PM
My coworker installed this "clear bra" on his new G35 coupe. It's a dark gray color (the car) and you have to be closer than 4 feet or so to notice the bra is installed. Also he took it to some shop that custom cuts the pieces that stick to the car; his shop sort of gets a "b" grade for how clean a job they did. the closer you get to his car the more alignment problems you see where the cuts don't line up with his headlights, etc. anyway he loves the product... problem is that when his car is dirty, dirt builds up on his hood where the sticker ends, making the seam really stand out. Kind of ugly. Anyway i'd be interested in how it looks on an ep. :) might look better on a brighter/whiter car.

tjtripp
05-09-2004, 08:58 AM
I installed it last weekend. It was a biotchhh!!!! Seriously! But if you're patient enough and determined enough, it should come out clean. There are imperfections that I was trippin on for a day or two. But basically I'm really glad I did it, especially after seeing my roommates 2000 Accords hood. I had it on my last car which was white. Even after I got rid of it after 3 years, most of my friends never noticed it (never cracked, faded, yellowed, etc). And the only ones who did were the ones I told.

If you hit something big however you may tear it (I had one my tear on my last car but this is very rare). I can take a picture but honestly you wouldn't see it unless I was practically next to it. So basically I would highly recommend it. It is a lot of work though, I just installed my springs yesterday and I'd rather have to do that again than install another clear bra. If you watch the video though the guy makes it look like cake.

Peking
05-09-2004, 09:00 AM
Moved to car care, and my bumper is all messed up with damage. I'll just re-paint it when I get my body kit :)

evilep3
05-09-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by tjtripp
I've just installed the invinca-shield clear bra on my Si and I was wondering if anyone else has done this. I have confidence in the product because I had my on my bimmer for 3 years with no problems. Most of my friends never knew it was there. Here is a link to a company that gets the material from 3M and then cuts out kits for most of the cars out there. Check it out.

www.invinca-shield.com

I was also asking because once it's installed the only thing you'll really notice is that the bra gets some pretty good surface scratches from the squeege. Nothing deep, just like you'd get on your car over time. It's only noticable in direct sunlight. I would like to know if anyone has had this experience and has been successful in buffing these scratches out. 3M's website says to not use abrasives on it. It's just kind of stands out to me because my car is new and has relativly no surface scratches. got any pics?

DarkSiRacer
05-22-2004, 05:14 PM
too late for me my bumper has physical imperfections already... bumps and chips maybe when i get the front repainted