PDA

View Full Version : gear grinding

VIZHUNZ02SI
05-01-2004, 03:18 PM
ok now i've had it with my ep. its decides to get all funky with me. my third gear is grindin like crazy. what should i do. my warranty is up and im not able to dump 2,000 for a new tranny.and ill be damn if i let honda gimme a rebuilt one. any suggestion

the JigGa mAn
05-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by VIZHUNZ02SI
ok now i've had it with my ep. its decides to get all funky with me. my third gear is grindin like crazy. what should i do. my warranty is up and im not able to dump 2,000 for a new tranny.and ill be damn if i let honda gimme a rebuilt one. any suggestion

type S or jdm type R with LSD trannies?

amctmg
05-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Change your fluild out with pennzoil syncromesh 1.7 qts. and try being a little more firm with your shifts

VIZHUNZ02SI
05-01-2004, 05:04 PM
where can i get that and how much would it help

amctmg
05-01-2004, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure if it will help if you have done damage but it will make gear shifting smoother and the only place I found that has it was carquest so don't look at wal-mart or pep boys or advance because they don't carry it.

also buy the tube thing that screws onto the bottle

VIZHUNZ02SI
05-01-2004, 05:36 PM
its official for those who are having grinding issues. our stock tranny's are sh*t. i was doing some searchs and pretty much came to the conclusion. every single one of us that has this problem will have to rebuild or change our trannys.

SYMPTOM Probable Problems / Solution

Clutch pedal feels weak/dead. Won't go into gear easily. Clutch hydralics. Replace slave and/or master. Possible pressure plate, but be sure of hydralics first.

Very hard to get into first or reverse. Check hydralics first. If was ever accompanied by noise when in gear (pedal on floor) then pilot bearing is not good. If no noise it may still be pilot going bad.

Grinds when going up or down in any one gear. Synchro going bad. Rebuild or replace transmission OR just shift slower and it might last a long time yet.

Grinds in shifting pairs - 1st/2nd, or 3rd/4th Slider hub/shift fork worn out or bent. Rebuild or replace transmission.
Bearing or gear noise in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th but gone or very less in 4th. Bearings are worn out. Rebuild or replace transmission.

Rattling/grinding noise when stopped, engine idling, transmission in gear, clutch pedal on the floor. Pilot bearing is bad if noise stops soon after transmission is put into neutral.

Rattling/grinding noise when stopped, engine idling, transmission in neutral, clutch pedal on the floor. Throw-out bearing is bad if noise stops soon after clutch pedal is let up. Bearings are worn out if noise gets worse when pedal is let up.

Metallic "Rumbling" or grinding that increases in frequency / noise level the faster you go. Probable rear wheel bearing if noise seems to come from back of car. Possible front wheel bearing(s) if noise is from the front.

Vibration in drivetrain when starting off in first gear, and decreases once car is moving. Front U-joint is bad.

Vibration in drivetrain that gets considerably worse the faster you go. Rear U-joint is bad.

Vibration in car when not moving that increases / decreases with engine RPM. Bad transmission mount.

Really bad noises from drivetrain that change dramatically between acceleration, light throttle cruise, and deceleration. Ring and Pinion are bad.

sorry for the bad news guys

VIZHUNZ02SI
05-01-2004, 05:37 PM
i should have gottin a gti or a se-r v

aRz
05-01-2004, 06:24 PM
ohh man i hope honda doesnt try and rebuild my fucking tranny!
my 2,3 grinds i have NO 4th gear! shift linkage is prolly bad too.. i just hope i get a new tranny!

i left the car friday they said it should be done by thursday of next week. im going to call monday and see if im getting a new one! wish me luck:rolleyes:

VIZHUNZ02SI
05-01-2004, 06:28 PM
youre lucky my warranty is up 39000 miles
so i have to jus deal with it
or buy an extended warranty and then bitch to them lien ass mofo's to get them to fix it/ if not they'll wish they neva sold me an si