PDA

View Full Version : Who has lived in Japan??

penguin
05-03-2004, 09:02 AM
Just wondering. I lived in Okinawa, Japan from 1996 to 1999 (in the Marines). I'd like to know about any fun drifting or zero-yon experiences y'all had (especially if on Oki). If you were on Oki during the time above, you saw me drifting almost everyday (and destroying a few cars...lol).

STP03BlueSI
05-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Never lived there...but would like to visit their. Maybe next year I will go there.

Chris

ep3nightkid
05-03-2004, 01:26 PM
hey my dad was stationed in camp zama (US army base) for three years and we lived right next to sagamihara,btw im not sure if i spelling that right,did you ever come down to the army base there? its a real small base when we were there!

WrathOfAZSI
05-03-2004, 02:54 PM
Penguin,

I have relatives in Okinawa and was there twoyears ago. My cousin took me drifting at the docks; it was f'in nuts. We pulled up to a bunch of stacked cargo containers, but in the middle of it all was a football field sized parking lot where about 500 kids were out drifting. These two Silvias cam screaming at us, and I thought they were going to run my ass over. Luckily they knew what they were doing, though, and drifted right past us. About an hour later, the silly police golf carts chased everyone off and we called it a night.

penguin
05-03-2004, 05:43 PM
hahah...yeah, that's Aja/Ie Jima. We would also just drift around those streets in the industrial area. Part of it was just for zoro-yon. It was like a car show. just walk from the drifters to the draggers...lol

penguin
05-03-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by ep3nightkid
hey my dad was stationed in camp zama (US army base) for three years and we lived right next to sagamihara,btw im not sure if i spelling that right,did you ever come down to the army base there? its a real small base when we were there!

The only Army Base that I hung out at was Torri Station. I was up at Camp Hansen (near the middle of the island). I'm not even sure if Zama is still around. Wasn't that the place with the Elephant Cage? if so, they closed it and moved it to Hansen.

ep3nightkid
05-03-2004, 08:33 PM
really? wow yeah i wouldnt be suprised i was there from 91-94 so it was a while ago!

k20hatch
05-03-2004, 08:52 PM
I would like to go to japan and have my car shipped there..So everyone would be like WHOAAAAAAAAA LOOK AT HIS STEERING WHEEL....ITS ON THE OTHER SIDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! And then they will be like whoa dude we have type-r's here. Ill be like HA i drive a Si, ITS RAREEEEEE BOYESSS!

Xtreme Racer
05-04-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by k20hatch
I would like to go to japan and have my car shipped there..So everyone would be like WHOAAAAAAAAA LOOK AT HIS STEERING WHEEL....ITS ON THE OTHER SIDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! And then they will be like whoa dude we have type-r's here. Ill be like HA i drive a Si, ITS RAREEEEEE BOYESSS!

I'd trade em

Tragedy
05-05-2004, 08:33 PM
I did from October 2002 to April 2004. Not military. I'm returning in August or September.

Heitzke
05-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Tragedy- did you speak japanese well before going? Or did you pick up most of it during your years there?

penguin
05-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Tragedy
I did from October 2002 to April 2004. Not military. I'm returning in August or September.

I plan on going back this year sometime. Is Senega and Ie Jima/Aja a big spot for drifting still?

Speck
05-06-2004, 04:02 PM
I also was in Okinawa. Spent my time (1991-1993) at Camp Schwab... ugh. Great diving though!!!

I am going to take my family to Japan once my boy gets older, I love it there!!!

-=speck=-

penguin
05-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Speck
I also was in Okinawa. Spent my time (1991-1993) at Camp Schwab... ugh. Great diving though!!!

I am going to take my family to Japan once my boy gets older, I love it there!!!

-=speck=-

Schwab! I thought I had it bad at Hansen...lol. Yeah, it was great living there. Not much has changed except the changed the name of NTA to Jungle Warfare Training Center. Still not much there (up north).

Speck
05-06-2004, 09:23 PM
argh... NTA... you HAD to bring that up, didn't you...

I still get the heebee jeebees thinking about running that damn land nav course. Holy crap there are some big insects and scary things in that jungle!!

But, Gotta show some respect for Kinville... I love those bars :)

-=speck=-

Kobayashi
05-07-2004, 03:01 PM
I was born and raised in Japan until middle school...

Now, I go back to Japan every summer to visit family, friends, games, food, and cars.

If you guys do go to Japan, I'd suggest you go to Saitama. Saitama is the hometown of Honda and there are Hondas everyhwere because you can buy them really cheap. My family has been a Nissan fanatic for the past 20 years, so I disease them with my Hondaness.

The headquarters of Honda of Japan and Mugen Co. is all located around Saitama. 10 minutes from where I live.

Also, Saitama is only a couple hours away from Yokohama and Honda's very own GT track---Twin Ring Motegi.

penguin
05-08-2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Speck
argh... NTA... you HAD to bring that up, didn't you...

I still get the heebee jeebees thinking about running that damn land nav course. Holy crap there are some big insects and scary things in that jungle!!

But, Gotta show some respect for Kinville... I love those bars :)

-=speck=-

hahaha...land nav rocked! And the obst. course, too... Did you ever do the Twister at CTA on Hansen? Nice lil climb. As for Kin, I lived there and met my ex-wife at Rock America (non-bymedrinkee bar). She was an Okinawan national bartending there.

sd_ep3
05-09-2004, 10:51 AM
i stationed in oki 99-01(corpsman). i was at camp lester(hospital). i love the drag races and the drifting. damn i miss those days!!!

El Mocha King
05-21-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by k20hatch

That's freaking funny man, I love it!:D

mental
05-24-2004, 05:02 PM
i have never lived in japan but it doesnt sound like such a good idea now that i have learned some new shit about the automotive life in japan... read my post titled JDM MAYHEM

03ephatch
06-10-2004, 11:01 PM
i went to a few drag races, never saw any dorifto, yet i did start watching them on option while i was out there. i was on a hunt for drifters. drag races... craaazy! from starlets to GTR's. i usually saw them early in the mornings, right outside camp foster. then we'd hit the small restaurants down the alley. lol. good old days. that's when i only weighed 145-150. dang 175(fatass, hahaha). i was stationed in hansen with truck company 3rdmardiv. the motor pool right next to the gates. buy-me-drink-me chicks are sluts!!! hahaha.

penguin
06-13-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by 03eohatch
i went to a few drag races, never saw any dorifto, yet i did start watching them on option while i was out there. i was on a hunt for drifters. drag races... craaazy! from starlets to GTR's. i usually saw them early in the mornings, right outside camp foster. then we'd hit the small restaurants down the alley. lol. good old days. that's when i only weighed 145-150. dang 175(fatass, hahaha). i was stationed in hansen with truck company 3rdmardiv. the motor pool right next to the gates. buy-me-drink-me chicks are sluts!!! hahaha.

Woo-hoo! Another Hansen Marine! I was up there too with 5th Force and 31st MEU(DAP). All you had to do to see drifting was to head down 58 towards Naha. When you get into Naha there is a major 3 way intersection. Left goes to some battlegrounds and hill and straight is Naha. There is an Esso on the right (just in front of the stop light). Right after that turn right into Aja/Ie Jima. Take your first left and then your first right (it's a stop sign). That's the industrial area. Drifting and drag all night long. Or head down 58 towards the airport. Once you pass the airport, keep going like 2 miles. On the right, at a stoplight (look for drink machines just sitting on the right side of the road at the intersection) is a long road (kinda like a bridge). Go all the way down and keep veering to the right and you'll get the the back of Senega. Great drifting back there (when I was there).

LHD_EP3
06-16-2004, 08:40 PM
Lived in Misawa from 73-76, then 81-85. I was stationed in Okinawa from 99-01. Lived off base for a while in the Navel Kadena area by the seawall, right behind the San-A (just down the street from Toys R Us) I was actually stationed on Kadena though, been to just about all the bases on the island..Tori, Schwab, Hansen, Lester, Foster, Mctureous, White Beach, Courtney, etc. Used to own a Civic Ferio Vti and a Pulsar GTi while I was there. I miss eating at CoCos and Ono Kau Kau!!:D

04rider
06-22-2004, 03:48 AM
sep02-03 3rd mar div corpsman 6mo at hqbn on courtney and 6mo at CAB on Schwab. No dorifto experiences, only a beat up r32 skyline gts+4.Oh and some good times at naha and gate 2. Gota love the Banana Show cause theres always someone who eats the banana. :banana:

LHD_EP3
06-22-2004, 06:58 PM
sep02-03 3rd mar div corpsman 6mo at hqbn on courtney and 6mo at CAB on Schwab. No dorifto experiences, only a beat up r32 skyline gts+4.Oh and some good times at naha and gate 2. Gota love the Banana Show cause theres always someone who eats the banana. :banana:

Ah yes, the banana show :)

SiR Phil
06-30-2004, 08:34 AM
I lived just over an hour outside of Tokyo, in the middle of Chiba Prefecture for a year, teaching English at a high school. I never drove once there, though, although I should have. Every Japanese I got into a car with drove so abruptly I wanted to vomit (the incessant winding roads don't help that experience, though).

Saw plenty of cars, though... lots mods, lotsa umbrella girls (heh). Oh, and the vans... those crazy conversion vans...

03ephatch
06-30-2004, 10:49 PM
yeah... the vans!!! and the luxury cars!!! i can't imagine how they're still on the ground, though it seemed as if they were about to fly

semper i! j/k

penguin
07-01-2004, 12:47 AM
I never saw the bannana show there, only in Pattaya. However, I do still have my membership card to the Naha Music Club. Anyone want to take a guess at what that is??

P.S., don't feel bad about your GTS-4, I only had an R32 GTS-T...