PDA

View Full Version : Anyone getting a rattle in the dash?

FCobra94
05-03-2004, 10:12 AM
This morning I noticed a strange rattle, from what seemed to be coming from the passenger side dash board area. The best way to describe it would be to relate it to the sound a metal ruler would make if you held half of it against a desk and smacked the other side so it would make a metalicy sort of noise as it bounced back and forth :o

I couldn't really pin point it to the dash, as it could be coming from the passenger side door, but I think my brothers '02 Accord makes the same noise, only closer to the drivers side of the dash.

Anyways, if anyone has experienced this before, let me know if you figured out a way to fix it, otherwise I'll let Honda know about it when it goes back there in a few hundred miles for an oil change.

Thanks for the help! :)

RMC22
05-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Strange.
I just noticed this starting a week ago.
It happens on and off, but lately more on than off.

Si4U2NV
05-03-2004, 01:35 PM
only rattling sound i get from my passenger area is if i have somethin sittin funny in my glovebox... in which case i just SMACK it and it settles... check in there, maybe you guyz have somethin shakin around...

other than that, maybe theres somethin in you AC ducts? leaf or somethin?

other than that, loose hamster runnin around in ur dash with his large novelty belt buckle hitting steel parts...

-Mike

EtherGhost
05-03-2004, 01:50 PM
The rattle might be coming from the tray above the glovebox, below the airbag. When it starts rattling, touch the tray. It will go away. I think I heard that some people took their cars back to Honda to get it fixed, maybe they put some glue in it or something.

I only notice the rattle at low speeds, on bumpy roads. It is a lot worse when my tires have higher pressure in them.

bobdobbs
05-03-2004, 02:01 PM
I've recently been hearing a metallic rattle on the right side, too. I thought maybe it was my Tein COs.

Turning up the radio fixed it for me. :D

VBSI
05-03-2004, 02:06 PM
That rattle is under your glovebox. Lay on your back and look under there, and you will see a metal support bar and a thin sheet of metal above it. Those two rattle together and mine currently has some carpet jammed in there. My car did that since day ONE.

FCobra94
05-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by VBSI
That rattle is under your glovebox. Lay on your back and look under there, and you will see a metal support bar and a thin sheet of metal above it. Those two rattle together and mine currently has some carpet jammed in there. My car did that since day ONE.
Sweet! That sounds like exactly what could be causing it. It def has that metal-on-metal contact sound.

Thanks man! I'll be checking that out tonight! :D

bobdobbs: Yeah, at first I was worried my Double-X brace was loosening up on me. Glad that probably isn't the case though.

bobdobbs
05-03-2004, 02:54 PM
Isn't that weird that as soon as we start hearing a weird noise we get all guilty for modding and think "shit, what did I do?" when it could very well be Honda's fault?

RMC22
05-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Because we know what the dealership will say :o

Siman
05-03-2004, 03:54 PM
let alone another reason to sell my car...:rolleyes: :confused:

Siman
05-03-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
Isn't that weird that as soon as we start hearing a weird noise we get all guilty for modding and think "shit, what did I do?" when it could very well be Honda's fault?

werent you dogging me earlier this year about our transmissios and saying it was "driver error"....:confused:

RMC22
05-03-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Siman
let alone another reason to sell my car...:rolleyes: :confused:

Yes!! Sell it! Shit, a rattle in a car, ESPECIALLY an econobox is absolutely UNHEARDOF!!

bobdobbs
05-03-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Siman
werent you dogging me earlier this year about our transmissios and saying it was "driver error"....:confused:
You? Probably. What's your point?

bobdobbs
05-03-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by RMC22
Yes!! Sell it! Shit, a rattle in a car, ESPECIALLY an econobox is absolutely UNHEARDOF!!
You know, today, I was driving, and I noticed the gas gauge going down. Shit, I'm gonna sell the fucker. POS.

jaydub
05-03-2004, 04:27 PM
siman, how many times are you going to threaten to sell your car before you actually do it?

BarracksSi
05-03-2004, 04:29 PM
Imagine the complaints if we all had rattles within the first six months of ownership. But, no -- that's standard issue with some other manufacturers.

FCobra94
05-03-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
Imagine the complaints if we all had rattles within the first six months of ownership. But, no -- that's standard issue with some other manufacturers.
Yeah, it could be worse...at least it's not an Audi :p

!@#$%
05-03-2004, 06:17 PM
mine doesnt have that rattle.

Siman
05-03-2004, 07:33 PM
LOL....

:D

Finger
05-25-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by VBSI

I can't find the metal parts, all i can see is plastic, could you be more specific about the location of the metal part?

VBP03
05-25-2004, 07:18 PM
There's a TSB out on this:

01-028 AUG 03 Interior - Right Hand Dashboard Creaking Noise

Don't know if that's what you're looking for, but I found that on Alldata. Hope this helps!

civicSIracer
05-25-2004, 10:16 PM
the only rattel i get is from my cluster.. damn thing is loose and i dont want to take it apart and have no time to give it to honda to let them play with it all day.. :'(

StLouisSilverSI
05-26-2004, 03:40 AM
I have a rattle on the passenger side of my dash when it's cold out, it seems to be the passenger side airbag, when i put my hand on it the rattle stops...gonna have to take it in for that and the squeeky clutch petal.

FCobra94
05-26-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by StLouisSilverSI
...gonna have to take it in for that and the squeeky clutch petal.
Same here :(

NemesisITR
05-26-2004, 01:22 PM
Lets see... I have a rattle in my steering column, the center of my dashboard, rear rightside of my car has a rattle near the exhaust area......:D

Spidey
05-26-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by StLouisSilverSI
squeeky clutch petal.

spelling people!
squeaky clutch pedal is no big deal. Mine hasn't squeaked since I got it lubed.
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20348

I have a moonroof that rattles when it's tilted now. I think it's the metal spring bar that pops up when you slide it back that rattles against it.

dofu
05-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
You know, today, I was driving, and I noticed the gas gauge going down. Shit, I'm gonna sell the fucker. POS.

well, if you're gonna sell it, at least bring your POS out to the bay area meet if you have time before you sell it... ;) :D
edit: sorry for stealin this thread