PDA

View Full Version : Any of you EPhatchers use synthetic oil?

blacksvt
10-16-2002, 01:42 PM
If so what brand and how many miles did you have on your SI before switching over? Notice any difference?

Cone Killer
10-16-2002, 01:44 PM
Yes, Amsoil 10w 30 since 3800. No consumption and as advertised gas mileage.

jaydub
10-16-2002, 01:46 PM
Going to be using Mobil 1 Synthetic, 5w30. I'm only at 800 miles right now.

todaCspec
10-16-2002, 01:50 PM
most likely will switch to mobil 1 syn. what oil filter are you guys using?

I-4Si
10-16-2002, 01:51 PM
I switched at 5K. I went to Amsoil 5w30. I had to add half a quart after 3K. I am going to do my oil changes at 5K. I had added a total of 1 quart through 4500 miles on the original oil.

ep3guy
10-16-2002, 01:55 PM
when did you guys first change your oil?

jaydub
10-16-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by todaCspec
most likely will switch to mobil 1 syn. what oil filter are you guys using?

I'm sure I'll use Honda OEM, since they served me well on all my previous Hondas.

LordKoo
10-16-2002, 01:58 PM
Please wait until 10k miles then switch to sythetic oil. Give the engine some more time with dino oil for proper break in for the piston rings. That is my 2 cents.

blacksvt
10-16-2002, 01:59 PM
The Ford SVT Focus guys swear that AMSOIL is the best to use, I was curious if the same was for Honda.

DrPimpSiR
10-16-2002, 03:31 PM
I use Mobil 1 5w-30 with a Honda filter. My oil usage has dropped to acceptable levels now. I changed over on my first oil change (8000 km) I now change at every 5000 km.

myeverlovinsir
10-16-2002, 03:42 PM
Ah the oil???? Would agree DR that 5W30 is the way to go, for the measly sliver of fuel economy, I would rather protect it.

Anyone notice how we are all using more oil, I think 5W20 is a ploy, and means more polymers, we are told to buy. Less for more. Go figure???? very nice oil marketing targets. hehe

DrPimpSiR
10-16-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
Ah the oil???? Would agree DR that 5W30 is the way to go, for the measly sliver of fuel economy, I would rather protect it.

Anyone notice how we are all using more oil, I think 5W20 is a ploy, and means more polymers, we are told to buy. Less for more. Go figure???? very nice oil marketing targets. hehe
Che, Che,Check this out:
http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/ford5w20.htm
Can you feel it?

xlr8
10-16-2002, 05:05 PM
i use redline full synthetic since about 3800 miles. i dont want to make any big claims about the difference in oil, but i never chirbed 3rd until my oil change

myeverlovinsir
10-16-2002, 05:54 PM
Hey DR, che che checkitout...

orig post myeverlovinSIR (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3524&highlight=sucks)

bet you felt that...

DrPimpSiR
10-16-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
Hey DR, che che checkitout...

orig post myeverlovinSIR (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3524&highlight=sucks)

bet you felt that...
Yeah, Yeah I guess you're right...........
BAAAM
orig, orig post DrPimpSiR (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=946&highlight=oil%2A)
"...A Newbie once tried to question me. I ate his post with some Fava beans and a nice Chianti"
-Dr Hannibal Lect-SiR
Silence of the Slams
:cool:

myeverlovinsir
10-16-2002, 06:56 PM
symantic plageristics, good to see someones feeding the goods. and no flava beans mang. tks

My Ever Lovin SIR...:p

DrPimpSiR
10-16-2002, 07:00 PM
My Ever Lovin SIR...:p
Where 'bout in 'tario you from, mon?

Ritteri
10-17-2002, 06:39 PM
Synthetic all the way.

A side note here. I know there is alot of talk on "breaking in" an engine, how long to wait before doing an oil change etc. So let me set the record straight.

1. Synthetic has a higher tolerance for temperature extremes. High revving engines run much hotter naturally. So synthetic is a NO BRAINER. Yeah its alot more money, but count on doubling your engines life.

2. Break-in. This one is really simple. Ill go past all the stupid myths I have seen on various boards. Drive it from day 1 like you will always drive it. And for most of us, this means plenty of stop and go traffic, and highway miles too.

3. First oil change. Another real simple one. When your oil starts to turn from a clean golden look, to a bit darker and a bit gritty, thats the time to change it. It could take 500 miles or 5000 miles, but thats when it should be done. I never go by the recommended factory ideas. They are just for the masses anyway. For the techies like us, check your oil regularly. As long as the oil is clean looking and slippery between your fingers your good to go. When it starts to turn a darker color and feels gritty between your fingers, time to change it. That simple.

myeverlovinsir
10-17-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Ritteri
Synthetic all the way.

A side note here. I know there is alot of talk on "breaking in" an engine, how long to wait before doing an oil change etc. So let me set the record straight.

1. Synthetic has a higher tolerance for temperature extremes. High revving engines run much hotter naturally. So synthetic is a NO BRAINER. Yeah its alot more money, but count on doubling your engines life.

2. Break-in. This one is really simple. Ill go past all the stupid myths I have seen on various boards. Drive it from day 1 like you will always drive it. And for most of us, this means plenty of stop and go traffic, and highway miles too.

3. First oil change. Another real simple one. When your oil starts to turn from a clean golden look, to a bit darker and a bit gritty, thats the time to change it. It could take 500 miles or 5000 miles, but thats when it should be done. I never go by the recommended factory ideas. They are just for the masses anyway. For the techies like us, check your oil regularly. As long as the oil is clean looking and slippery between your fingers your good to go. When it starts to turn a darker color and feels gritty between your fingers, time to change it. That simple.

Hey Ritteri, thanks for putting it just plain simple. I agree there is an elevated hype about oil in general... very sound insight. tks

fASTBACK
10-17-2002, 11:06 PM
I gonna be running sythethic in a little bit. Has anyone changed oil on their Ep them self yet? Is it hard. The old civics were easy. Im gonna run Royal purple 5W-30. Its the best oil IMO.

silver ep
10-18-2002, 06:04 AM
Anyone run Valvoline Synthetic?