PDA

View Full Version : which springs to get

hksuperSi
05-03-2004, 06:03 PM
i want a 2in drop but dont have much money for a camber kit, so what do u guys recommend 2in with camber kit, or go 1.5in drop with no camber kit. also this is kinda dumb question but hey i'm new and dont know much but what does a camber kit do and why i need them for 2in drop rather than 1.5in drop. thanks

EtherGhost
05-03-2004, 06:41 PM
You don't really need a camber kit... unless you love your tires, and don't want them to wear out on the inside. ;)

Gearhead Geek
05-03-2004, 06:56 PM
well, first off, you do need a camber kit with a 1.5 inch drop. as for what a camber kit does, it corrects the camber angle of your tires. imagine that your tires look like this before you drop your car:
|-----|
after the drop, they'll be like this:
/-----\
while it may not be as extreme as that, they will get negative camber. you need the camber kit to correct that, to prolong tire life, and to get optimum handling (a little bit of negative camber is good for handling, however too much isn't good.)

hope this helps.

hksuperSi
05-03-2004, 10:28 PM
thanks guys for all the info, it helped me alot.

Tenacious G
05-04-2004, 02:41 PM
suck it up and get the camber kit, especially if you're dropping 2 inches. if you drive around too much on tires w/ a lot of camber, you'll blow them out. that'll be a hell of a lot more expensive than not buying the camber kit.

mdoyle
05-04-2004, 03:27 PM
You mean you could blow them out, if you don't pay attention to the tire wear. Keeping an eye on your tires is a must, and even more important when you have negative or positive camber.

I've ran a 1.5 drop on my Prelude with 40 series tires for the past year and a half, still driving with the same tires. Of course the camber will be different for every car, it really just depends how picky you are.

Tenacious G
05-04-2004, 03:41 PM
yes, *could* blow them out. a 1.5" drop is borderline safe ... but a 2" drop is too much in my opinion to go without a camber kit.