PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone elses Ep3 bogg down a whole lot with the A/C on?

ep pilot
05-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Hey, yall it

simione
05-03-2004, 08:59 PM
Yeah it does suck really bad when you turn the a/c on. So what do I do? Don't use it.

ep pilot
05-03-2004, 08:59 PM
What makes matters worse are that I get really bad allergies in the later spring months, and even though I hate driving the cars with the A/C on to began with, locked up in my car with the windows rolled up, and the A/C blasting is sometimes the most peaceful time I get free of allergies. Believe me, I am a total windows down, sunroof back kinda guy, but I have to have the A/C on and windows up in late April / May just to survive, it totally sucks.

-Ryan

k20hatch
05-03-2004, 09:01 PM
Hold on ill go outside drive around and check. Ill edit this when i get back

"btw, its 12:00pm and the neighbors are gonna love this, cars a little loud"

ILLLLL brb

Alright well i couldnt really feel a HUGH difference when the AC was on when i hit it. But its really not that warm outside. Im guessing your talking about really warm/hot days and constant driving. I dunno mabey ill have to test again when its warmer. I rarely use the a/c at all anyways.

ep pilot
05-03-2004, 09:04 PM
I also wonder, if those of you with turbos or Jackson Superchargers notice if the car feels peppier with the addition of boost? From experience, my old 2002 Jetta 1.8t actually felt slower than a N/A car when the A/C was on also, as the extra drag on the anemic 1.8 liter mill would intensify the

ep pilot
05-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by k20hatch
Hold on ill go outside drive around and check. Ill edit this when i get back

"btw, its 12:00pm and the neighbors are gonna love this, cars a little loud"

ILLLLL brb

I know you just messing w/ me, but seriously is this the first time you

chubbychu
05-03-2004, 09:11 PM
yeah, this is a common problem. Even in my old 2000 v6 accord it seemed to lose a bunch of power when the ac was on. just turn it off when you race. either that or just dont race in the summer.

ep pilot
05-03-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
yeah, this is a common problem. Even in my old 2000 v6 accord it seemed to lose a bunch of power when the ac was on. just turn it off when you race. either that or just dont race in the summer.

I hope I

BlairSpeed
05-04-2004, 03:13 PM
I couldnt agree with you more EP Pilot!! Im in San Diego and this past weekend it was in the 90's, so I put the A/C on and damn, our car sucks. When your on the freeway, its not too bad but in stop and go driving, it sucks complete ass. Not only do i notice the power loss, but just shifting gears seems different and "bogged down." It seems like the engine has a huge load on it. I dont like it at all. This past weekend was one of the only times I've ever used my A/C so its not a big deal as I usually just have the windows down and the sunroof up but I was going to pick up a girl and wanted to keep as cool as possible...otherwise I never use A/C.

Thats what you get with a 2.0L 4 banger.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
05-04-2004, 03:18 PM
yea...even w/ the A2 it loses alot of power when I turn on the A/C...
most newer cars have a feature that kills the A/C compressor once you hit full throttle, until you let off....
my 2000 Maxima had that option and it was nice...

skooba
05-04-2004, 03:24 PM
Maybe its just a 4 cylinder thing....

My brothers old 2000 celica gts felt the same way with the AC on.
Hell, even in his EVO with the AC on you can feel a difference.
But his wife's GTI vr6 doesn't get phased one bit with the AC on.

SiR_Honda
05-04-2004, 05:21 PM
Same thing here... its look like we lost 20hp :mad:

My girlfriends don't like when I put the A/C off, she knows that I wanna go fast or something :D

seattlecivic
05-04-2004, 06:00 PM
Next time someone gets a Dyno done... check withyour a/c cranked all the way. :-)

Sirone
05-04-2004, 06:14 PM
How have you guys never realized this? Almost any car has some effect from having the A/C on. It just becomes more amplified with smaller displacement/lower cyclinder engines. You can feel it in a v8, but you usually you have so much power anyway you never notice that small loss... But on our smaller engines yeah the A/C is going to suck your power, I never use it, it kills your fuel mileage completely anyway.. I only ever use it if I am dressed up real nice in the middle of a hot day... otherwise its always windows down and sunroof open, it's the only way to go. The only time I do use the ac is to defrost the windshield... and that's only because I never did that automatic A/C defeat DIY.

SSMep3
05-04-2004, 06:30 PM
i noticed that the other day in my ep3 but it wasnt anything compared to my 2001 em2 coupe that motor plus A/C was horrendous

siver-SI
05-04-2004, 06:50 PM
I have a 78 Lincoln with a 460CI engine in it and that I can feel a diffrence with the A/C on. It seems the bigger the engine the bigger the A/C unit is so it even kills the big blocks.

DumbNewB
05-04-2004, 07:00 PM
i know exactly what you are talking about! At first when my a/c was on it made a weird buzzing sound and then i noticed that it was really really hindering my car's acceleration, and now when it is on it doesnt have any effect whatsoever and I live in palm springs! So when I take my car back into Honda, Ill let you guys know.

DavidT
05-04-2004, 07:19 PM
The only vehicle that I don't notice it much on is my 1984 Toyota 4x4. Lifted, geared, locked front and rear with 37s it's slow as shit with the a/c on or off :D :cool: When it's real hot out, I don't push my EP that hard. With the SRI it was horrible, heat soak like a mother. It drives A LOT better now with the CAI on, even with the a/c on it still drives ok. For someone to not feel the power loss associated with pump driven a/c's, you'd need a car that would make a lot of torque down low so it's still pulls ok even with the a/c load on it.

minileedxr
05-04-2004, 07:30 PM
i agree, it feels like we lose 20hp when the ac come on. I try to turn off the ac when i go up hill and leave the fan on, but after a while, it starts to STINK!!! anyone else have this problem?

vtecmdnss
05-04-2004, 07:57 PM
hehe i still pulled hard on an ex with the ac on. dohc is nice.

kidXStreme
05-05-2004, 01:31 AM
had the same problem.....yesterday it was hot...and i turned the a/c and my car kept bogging when i took of a stop sign....it felt like another car/had no balls so i turned it off.

p.s-first time i have expirence driving my ep in a hot day.

blueiedgod
05-05-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
yea...even w/ the A2 it loses alot of power when I turn on the A/C...
most newer cars have a feature that kills the A/C compressor once you hit full throttle, until you let off....
my 2000 Maxima had that option and it was nice...

I was surprized to find that we have the feature as well. I originally wrote to Honda in 1999 suggesting that they adopt this feature as I was contantly switching it on and off. I noticed last summer that the A/C pump shuts off at around 5000-5500 rpm. And stays off until you drop RPM's. If you do a prolonged high RPM driving, you car will heat up pretty fast.

It is funny to see an EM/EG/EK/fill in the blank try to race me in the summer with A/c off and windows down. Having your windows down put more drag that having A/c on. Unless you leave the hatch open, it acts like a parashute. You may not have the responsivness at low rpm, but if you really floor it the A/C will cycle off when you need the power and kick back on when you don't need red line accleration. While the windows down drag is contantly on.

phantasia
05-05-2004, 10:25 AM
dont feel bad about getting passed by a sequoia on the highway, those things have a TON of power. i sell toyotas for a living. lol. they are based off the tundra truck, and pack a big v-8.

MCeez02Si
05-05-2004, 02:09 PM
I'm also driving in the Cali heat. Definitely notice a difference. To solve this problem, I have been seriously been thinking about getting a voltage regulator like this one:

I just really don't know if it really works.

FCobra94
05-05-2004, 02:17 PM
Eh, the power loss w/ the A/C on isn't that bad. The only thing that I've been noticing lately, though, is that while your crusing on the highway w/ the A/C on, the car seems to miss for a split second every once in a while :confused:

I don't know what it could be, but do you guys experience that w/ either the A/C on or off?

Thanks!

BarracksSi
05-05-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by FCobra94
Eh, the power loss w/ the A/C on isn't that bad. The only thing that I've been noticing lately, though, is that while your crusing on the highway w/ the A/C on, the car seems to miss for a split second every once in a while :confused:

If it's what I'm thinking of, that's when the A/C compressor engages. The sudden load feels like a hiccup, and when the compressor disengages again, the power just seems to come back smoother.

DavidT
05-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by phantasia
dont feel bad about getting passed by a sequoia on the highway, those things have a TON of power. i sell toyotas for a living. lol. they are based off the tundra truck, and pack a big v-8.

4.7-liter V8 big? That's actually really small for a V8. The only trucks I drive are Toyota trucks and the Tundra is nice but really it needs a bigger powerplant, if I did I'd own one right now. The Nissan Titan has a tit ass V8, TONs of torque and the 4x4 ex-cab automatic version does the quarter mile quicker than most stock EPs. :p But it's a Nissan. I'm gonna wait till the hybrid V8 Tundra comes out in a few years, suppose to have a lot more power and torque and get 30 MPG ;)

freidaddy
05-05-2004, 02:53 PM
I turned my ac on for the first time a couple weeks ago and yea it boged down on me. Usually keep the windows down when its hot outside.

mykel
05-05-2004, 03:31 PM
The honda ECU programmers "Zdyne" have an option on their D and B series programs that under full throttle would disengage the AC, then after x seconds without full throttle the AC reengages. No idea if they do any K series work, but may be worth a question to hondata.

blueiedgod
05-05-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by mykel
The honda ECU programmers "Zdyne" have an option on their D and B series programs that under full throttle would disengage the AC, then after x seconds without full throttle the AC reengages. No idea if they do any K series work, but may be worth a question to hondata.

We already have it STOCK. Hot air alone will make you drop power.

Siman
05-05-2004, 09:09 PM
every 4 cylindre i have ever driven has bogged down pretty bad!

but look at the size of our AC pully! its a big ( small in reality) pully! that takes alot of HP out of the mix...

wonder if anyone has dyno charts with the power loss with AC?

Jaws Of Death
05-05-2004, 09:14 PM
My SRT-4 doesn't seem to bog down much if at all (I can't honestly tell a difference), but my SI used to become a different car altogether with the AC on. I would have to change the way I drove or I would embarass myself at stoplights.:(

vtecmdnss
05-06-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Siman
every 4 cylindre i have ever driven has bogged down pretty bad!

are u shitting me... cylindre? are u flaming 4 cylinders? or are u serious?

YooShin
05-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Once upon a time, an old buddy of mine dynoed his 91 Mustang LX and got a about a 20hp loss w/ AC. He gained back 10 by adding Underdrive pulleys. I don't think you would get back that much with the K20As. I believe AEM makes some for the A2 but not sure for the A3. Unorthadox has been know to make some agressive underdrive pulleys as well especially for the Focus SVT in which it ADDs 5-8hp. Basically the pulleys shift the work of the engine back to the drive train and away from your AC and power stearing. By the way, the A/C does not fully shut off in the EP unless you press the button and then turn the fan off. Just turning the fan off w/o turning of the A/C leaves the compressor running in "neutral" which is why you might feel some cold air comming through just by sheer force of the car moving forward.

!@#$%
05-06-2004, 07:17 PM
cali heat has nothing on texas heat. nothing beats the texas heat.

portugeetex
05-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by !@#$%
cali heat has nothing on texas heat. nothing beats the texas heat.

so true thats why i moved up here to mass. lol i couldnt take the heat, and i was born and raised there 18 years.