PDA

View Full Version : Somebody Please Help!

New_One_03
05-04-2004, 12:13 AM
I got my Mugen suspension installed 3 days ago. The car handles great but i noticed a popping sound when id start from a dead stop. Also i got a knocking sound from the front when i would let off the accelerator. Took it back into the shop and they said they couldnt find anything wrong. Tonight driving home from work the knocking sound got about 20 times louder and was constant. When i would let off the accelerator it would get even louder. It sounded and felt like i was driving on rumble strips on the side of the highway. What the hell happened? I dont know whats going on and i cant drive the car anywhere. Anyone have any suggestions?

the JigGa mAn
05-04-2004, 12:29 AM
frst i see your from IL so welcome..hope to see you around

scnd where did you get it installed so i know not to go there:p

thrd now would be the best time to take the car to the shop since its pretty bad and have them in the car as you drive it so they can hear the sound

m.kusanagi
05-04-2004, 10:08 AM
spring isolator might be out of straight. the lining up of marks from factory when assembling together again will remedy problems this one. springs sitting not at completley perpendicular for the ground, infact are cantered towards middle position. therefore, one must rotating roperly for proper seating; marks are there from the Honda factory.

torquing of the nut on the strut assembly to proper for smooth movement when turning. this by doing so relieves popping, cause from spring loading and unloading when you turning the wheel.

getting an alignment.

i have for paralleled same problems when installing mine. a second time over, no problems.

good luck; what shop you installed at?

-kusanagi

New_One_03
05-04-2004, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys. I know a bunch of people who work at NTB and they said they'd throw them in for me. I figured since they work with that stuff all the time it should be no problem. Boy was i wrong. Looks like ill be driving the truck for a couple days until i get a day off, take the car back in and have them take the fronts out, disassemble them and put them back in. If they screwed these up im gonna be so pissed.

yomamaInMySi
05-04-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by New_One_03
Thanks guys. I know a bunch of people who work at NTB and they said they'd throw them in for me. I figured since they work with that stuff all the time it should be no problem. Boy was i wrong. Looks like ill be driving the truck for a couple days until i get a day off, take the car back in and have them take the fronts out, disassemble them and put them back in. If they screwed these up im gonna be so pissed.

The people who installed this for you should have pay attention to the japanese instructions that came with the suspension. I don't know if this anything to do, but on those instructions there are drawings of how the struts and shocks should be installed. In other words there are markings on top of the struts and the shocks that need to go in certain direction. Look at the drawings on the instructions and you'd see what I am talking about. This may or may not have anything to do. A shop by my house installed the same kit for me and I told them the direction that the struts and the shocks needed to point and I don't get any sounds. This is the best suspension ever, no popping or anything like that. I think the same principle applys to the stock suspension since they have the same markings. Hope this helps.

yomamaInMySi
05-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Also, when you take the car in, make sure they don't take apart the entire assembly (the top upper struts and shocks mounts) off. These come torque already.

New_One_03
05-04-2004, 01:53 PM
I found out what the popping noise was the hard way. Cruising in to have it looked at once again. Get on the highway and car starts shaking violently after about 10 minutes. Pull off to the right and start to slow down. Then crunch, the car drops. Turns out the lug nuts on the drivers side worked loose. That would explain the pop sound starting and stopping. My fault too cuz i knew to double check them again. I feel like such an ass. Now i have damage to the front fender, side skirt and who knows what else. Not a good day. Lesson learned. Always double and triple check the lugnuts.

dofu
05-04-2004, 01:58 PM
m.kusanagi - thank you
i've had this problem ever since i dropped my car... since then dropped in teins and still have the same sounds, just not as bad...
but i've retorqued the nuts on the strut assembly a few times already, but the sounds eventually come back... :confused: is there a permenant fix? should i get offa my ass and buy some new nuts???

m.kusanagi
05-04-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by dofu
m.kusanagi - thank you
i've had this problem ever since i dropped my car... since then dropped in teins and still have the same sounds, just not as bad...
but i've retorqued the nuts on the strut assembly a few times already, but the sounds eventually come back... :confused: is there a permenant fix? should i get offa my ass and buy some new nuts??? when after the retorquing the nut, one must prevent the nut from moving position, either with product "loct tite" or with clone of nut butted against original. This may happen for nut loosen or tighten when steering input. (because assembly whole rotating.)

ep3_civic_si
05-07-2004, 11:44 AM
i dont know if it's the same popping but can someone tell me like how does the popping start or anything when they turn the wheel etc because i got tein s-tech but i don't have any popping noise i just wanna make sure incase my car starts to do it:D