PDA

View Full Version : Turbo stages?

chinq6t
05-04-2004, 07:30 AM
Is it necesssary to go through stages 1-3 for turbos? I wonder if any one has gone strgight to the third stage. but i understand if our ep's have to upgrade stages.. .1,2,3.

I was just wondering the best deals.

thanks.

SiMecoming
05-04-2004, 09:47 AM
From what ive been told and what i know you can buy and installa stage 3 turbo in your car all at once but your going to have to slowly build up the amount of boost you can throw at it over time. can go 20lbs on run #1 KABOOM!....thats just what i would assume and have been told

fsugatorbait
05-04-2004, 10:48 AM
You could jump right up to stage 3 from the start if you wanted to. The difference between the stages are just the parts, psi, and engine work. For example, stage one would be 7psi, IC, X flash. Stage 2 would be 15 psi, some engine work, and Y flash. Stage 3 would be 22 psi, major engine work, and Z flash. These examples are just to show the differences between the stages.

Here is cybernations break down of their different stages for the RSX:

Stage 1 RSX Complete full Kit

Type S produces 275whp at 7psi starts at $3995

Stage II RSX Turbo Kit

Type S Stage II includes fmu, piston, rods. 350-370whp at 17-20psi starts at $5299

Stage III RSX Turbo kit

Upgraded pistons, rods, sleeves, springs & retainers and Cybernation wide turbo cams 450+whp at 25psi starts at $8995

Stage IV RSX Turbo kit

Fully built race engine upgraded everything 30 to 40psi 550whp to 700+whp starts at $12595

chinq6t
05-04-2004, 11:36 AM
all right thanks alot. i have a better understanding now.
on the most part there shouldnt be much engine work as the others on a stage 1 right which i assume is what most people have is a stage 1 turbo..?

fsugatorbait
05-04-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by chinq6t
on the most part there shouldnt be much engine work as the others on a stage 1 right which i assume is what most people have is a stage 1 turbo..?

Correct, I dont know of anyone running a stage 2 or higher kit yet.

smilla0
05-04-2004, 11:55 AM
Yeah this isn't Gran Turismo 3. :) In fact, you DON'T want to go from one stage to another. If you do, you'll have to uninstall the previous stage and sell it, losing a fair amount of money in the first stage. Instead, you should pick the amount of power you need and buy that stage from the get-go. You could probably have them send you an upgrade kit, but you may end up replacing the same parts repeatedly, not to mention having to tear your motor apart multiple times and have to have it retuned multiple times.

chinq6t
05-04-2004, 12:30 PM
Most turbo kits for the ep has a T3 turbo in it. I can pick up a T3 with a Nissan compressor for 399 + shipping. Any one sell turbo kits w/o the turbos? Thought I can save some money.

smilla0
05-04-2004, 01:00 PM
You'll probably have to get it special ordered from a small shop, maybe CN or SFP. Ordinarily, the kit is designed around their choice of turbo, so a different one is unlikely to bolt right up, will need custom tuning, and probably won't work as well as the ones in the kit (either be too small and choke the flow, or be too big and laggy) Greddy's kit is the cheapest by far, partially because their choice of turbo is a relatively small and cheap unit. So you could start off with their turbo, and if you want more power, you can swap in your own (assuming it's bigger).

trabadoo22
05-04-2004, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE]Yeah this isn't Gran Turismo 3. In fact, you DON'T want to go from one stage to another. If you do, you'll have to uninstall the previous stage and sell it, losing a fair amount of money in the first stage.

With Cybernations kit or others kits where you just upgrade engine parts you wouldn't have to sell anything. The turbos themselves would be the same stage 1-4. You just upgrade the internals and up the boost from what I understand.

fsugatorbait
05-05-2004, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by trabadoo22
With Cybernations kit or others kits where you just upgrade engine parts you wouldn't have to sell anything. The turbos themselves would be the same stage 1-4. You just upgrade the internals and up the boost from what I understand.

Correct, I believe that cybernations kit is efficient up to 35 psi and the Greddy kit is up to 22 psi on the original turbo.

smilla0
05-05-2004, 08:09 AM
According to the website, each stage includes everything in the next lower stage, except things that have been upgraded. Otherwise you'd be spending $5300 just for pistons, rods and a boost gauge.

For instance, if you have stage 1 and buy stage 2, you will get another T3/T4 turbo and another exhaust manifold, etc etc. That is at least what they wrote on the webpage. If you buy stage 3, they will sell you a bigger 62-1 turbo, and you'll need to sell the old one. You'll get another exhaust manifold too. I'm not sure if it's the same as stage 1&2 or not. But you'll have an extra regardless. Going stage by stage is definitely the expensive way to go.

The way they did it is smart. If they sold you a 62-1 turbo at stage 1, it would be extremely laggy. If you want a system that works well, you need to match all that components together. That usually means that if you want more power, most everything needs to be upgraded simultaneously.

But I'm sure they will sell you supplementary upgrade packages if you call them. Cybernation will let you buy a 62-1 turbo at stage 1 if you wanted to. Personally, I don't think you should run 700 hp on stock A3 internals, so I would just use the T3/T4. It supposed to be good for some 400+hp.

Boost Junkie
05-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
Correct, I dont know of anyone running a stage 2 or higher kit yet.

I have gotten some e-mails about stage II for the civic. AThe closest thing to a Stage II Civic is a Base Model RSX that we did. Pistons, Rods, Crank etc......

We will soon have the Civic stage II and will let you all know how it goes.