PDA

View Full Version : Alu arms 56K warning

yomamaInMySi
05-05-2004, 11:59 AM
This will be going on my car this weekend. http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzgyOTI4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Mighty_Mouse
05-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Very cool. Please weigh each arm on a digital scale and let us know what the difference is between them and the stock pieces.

2k2_nbp_egg
05-06-2004, 01:51 PM
How was the install? I'm actually sorta interested in these...I'm sure I've bent up the stock ones. Also...what kinda front sway is that? And how much were the arms?

yomamaInMySi
05-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by 2k2_nbp_egg
How was the install? I'm actually sorta interested in these...I'm sure I've bent up the stock ones. Also...what kinda front sway is that? And how much were the arms?

Have not done the install yet. But I hear that the ball joint is a bitch to get out, specially if you're doing it on the floor. My mechanic is going to do it on a lift, so it should be easier. The sway is a 22mm front JDM type r sway and the arms are 550. They are the same as the ITR alu ones but these come with an insert so the Si's ball joint will fit in there perfectly.

ep3_civic_si
05-07-2004, 11:47 AM
correct me if i'm wrong but i remember reading somewhere that dont our front sway bar comes 22mm or somehting already? just wondering i remember reading it somewhere on this board but it was a while back ago not sure:D

fsugatorbait
05-07-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by ep3_civic_si
correct me if i'm wrong but i remember reading somewhere that dont our front sway bar comes 22mm or somehting already? just wondering i remember reading it somewhere on this board but it was a while back ago not sure:D

Our front sway is 25mm.

tony speed
05-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by ep3_civic_si

the reason for the type-r sway is not because of the width, it's because it fits with the aluminum lower arms. Our sway bar won't.

ep3_civic_si
05-07-2004, 03:48 PM
ooh ok i c :D thanks for the info but i wouldn't u want to keep the bigger sway in the front? oh yeah sorry for jackin the thread but do our car really need a strut bar for our front and rear? i mean like can we really feel a big difference? thanks!:D

SF-SI-02
05-07-2004, 06:04 PM
You want the tail to be stiff and the front to be soft for better handling

97 TYPE-R 312
05-08-2004, 12:19 AM
I weighed these in at 5.6 lbs vs, the stocks at 8.8 lbs. This was done on a digital postal scale.

-Victor

Mighty_Mouse
05-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by 97 TYPE-R 312
I weighed these in at 5.6 lbs vs, the stocks at 8.8 lbs. This was done on a digital postal scale.

-Victor

That's per side, correct?

97 TYPE-R 312
05-08-2004, 10:49 PM
yes

yomamaInMySi
05-11-2004, 08:45 AM
I got the front sway out and the bolts off of the control arms, the problem is the fing ball joints. It's as if some one welded (sarcasm) the fing things to the control arms. Any suggestions how to take them out. I can't used a fork tool cause that would damage boots on the ball joints.

mykel
05-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Don't know if this applies or not....

Have never looked at the ball joints on an EP3 ( Just picked mine up yesterday ) but on my CRX changing the ball joints required using an air-hammer. Apply air-hammer to back of ball-joint and push it out. Takes about 30-90 seconds each and this was after 12 Canadian winters.

yomamaInMySi
05-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by mykel
Don't know if this applies or not....

Have never looked at the ball joints on an EP3 ( Just picked mine up yesterday ) but on my CRX changing the ball joints required using an air-hammer. Apply air-hammer to back of ball-joint and push it out. Takes about 30-90 seconds each and this was after 12 Canadian winters.

Thanks for the tip, but I don't have access to air tools where I am at the moment. I am going to try some' else today with two hammer and hope that will do it. I have everything apart, the thing that I thought was going to be harder turned out to be easier. I got everything out except that stupid ball joint, and think that sucker looked at me and said "I ain't coming out that easy". I spoke to my dad (Auto mechanic) and he told me to do the two hammer trick and that it should work. He asked me if I wanted him to take it out and I said not thanks. Why? Because he's going to hammer my ass about spedning money on the car. :D Oh well, if he does not work out today or tomorrow, then he's gonna have to come and do it.

yomamaInMySi
05-17-2004, 05:25 AM
Ok, so I finished the installation Friday morning. It took me a while to finish it because I had to order a dust boot for the lower ball joint and the nut that hold it on the bottom. In the afternoon I took the car to just tires to get it align, everything works fine and the aligned the car, drove it home and everything was perfect. I jacked up the car again to retorque everything (I torqued everything to spec initially as well) and I notice that the two vertical bushings are ripped. I have no fing idea how it happened, but they're ripped after I drove the car from my house to the alignment shop and this things are gone. So I contacted the guy and order the stuff and he said that he's going to contact king. I contacted King myself this morning and he said that it's impossible for these things to rip (I guess he thought I was bsing or something) that they use these arms on their competition car etc etc. So I told him, hey look that's great but what do I have do with my brand new alu arms and the ripped bushing, and he said take a pic and send it to me. He also stated that they have to come out. I did not say anything to him other than "I would send the pic" because I don't want to start the week in a bad mood. But are you fing kidding me, take these things out again and then get the car realign again? This is bull. It was alot of work not to mentioned time and money. Any suggestions.

yomamaInMySi
05-18-2004, 05:19 AM
VPR please see this post, I can email you more pics if you'd like.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37974

tony speed
05-19-2004, 02:20 PM
the aluminum arm bushings aren't metal??!!!!! or plastic???? you got ripped....

madbrain
05-19-2004, 04:14 PM

I am pretty sure the Buddy Club bushings are metal not the Mugen ones.

yomamaInMySi
05-20-2004, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by tony speed

I did not get ripped. My eyes are playing tricks on me. When I was installing the SC this weekend (Thanks Tony for the installed), I noticed that the bushing wasn't ripped but that it was dirty. The dirt made it look like it was cracked. King and VPR if you guys ever read this, I apologize for the misunderstanding.

97 TYPE-R 312
05-20-2004, 01:54 PM
Glad it all worked out! :cool:

-Victor