PDA

View Full Version : Oct./Nov. Honda Tuning Mag - Air Intakes!

HondaMan
10-16-2002, 08:15 PM
Got the new Honda Tuning mag today and they have a big article comparing all the air intakes for the RSX Type S K20A2 engine. I was pretty surprised by the results. The Cold Air Intakes kick butt! I have to get a CAI now to replace my K&N Typhoon but I'm about to be very poor, so that will just have to wait.

Here are the horsepower increases:
[list=1]
AEM CAI +20.7hp
DC Sports CAI +19.7hp
DC Sports SR +9.2hp
Injen SR +9.2hp
Jackson Racing SR +7.8hp
K&N Typhoon +7.4hp
AEM SR +5.4hp
K&N drop in filter -0.1hp
[/list=1]
They all increasd torque by 2.5-5.7lb-ft, except for the K&N drop in filter it was no gain.

So, I guess if you multiple them all by .80 you will get the approx. power increases for our K20A3 engines. I wonder how good the ice box air intake thingy will do? Probably the same as the CAI's plus/minus 2hp.

Interesting info...huh? :)

2k2civicSi
10-16-2002, 08:26 PM
is that at the wheels or the crank

myeverlovinsir
10-16-2002, 08:53 PM
6.36 average hp, it sucks to buy crap...

I am surprised to see
that the DC intake was so competitive with AEM????

HondaMan
10-16-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by 2k2civicSi
is that at the wheels or the crank

At the crank...the stock power was recorded @ 157.8 and torque @ 119.9.

3rdhatch
10-16-2002, 09:12 PM
Wouldn't that be at the wheels?

HondaMan
10-16-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by 3rdhatch
Wouldn't that be at the wheels?

I assume it is at the crank given the stock readings above i.e. 157.8hp. I can't find exactly where is says at the crank or at the wheels.

DownTheHatch
10-16-2002, 09:47 PM
What if I put them all on, how much horsepower will I have then?

TEKBRAIN
10-16-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan

I assume it is at the crank given the stock readings above i.e. 157.8hp. I can't find exactly where is says at the crank or at the wheels.

Are you saying 157.8hp at the crank on a RSX Type-S? :D :p

DC02Si
10-16-2002, 09:55 PM
Doesn't the A2 come 200hp stock? I am guessing that's at the wheels. The intakes I am guessing not at wheels

3rdhatch
10-16-2002, 09:59 PM
Can you measure how much horsepower a car has at the crank by putting it on a dyno? Those intakes are tested at the wheels!

2fastcivic
10-16-2002, 10:03 PM
i dont know what dyno they used but those cai gains look ridiculous. they must of had a bigass fan blowing in front of the car or the weather was freezing cold.

HondaMan
10-16-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by TEKBRAIN

Are you saying 157.8hp at the crank on a RSX Type-S? :D :p

Ooops...it is at the wheels...I was thinking in terms of our engines i.e. 160hp stock...my bad. :o

HondaMan
10-16-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by 2fastcivic
i dont know what dyno they used but those cai gains look ridiculous. they must of had a bigass fan blowing in front of the car or the weather was freezing cold.

Outside temp was 87 degrees for all tests. I'm not going to list all the coolant, underhood and intake temps. Go buy the mag to get the complete list of temps...hehe! :p ;)

Edit: Actually, coolant temp was 204 degrees for all tests and underhood temps ranged from 108-121 degrees and intake temps ranged from 97-122 degrees...97 degrees for both CAIs...average of 113 degrees for SRs and 122 degrees for stock & stock w/ K&N.

SmoothOperator
10-16-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by DownTheHatch
What if I put them all on, how much horsepower will I have then?

Add all those numbers up and find out! :D
I really like AEM products. Has anyone ever heard something bad about them?

2fastcivic
10-16-2002, 10:50 PM
havent heard anything bad about aem except some of the rsx guys complain about the rattle or noise from the cai. they say all you have to do is adjust the intake. i have decided to go with the k&n typhoon. a guy w/ a type s switched to a typhoon from an aem cai. he liked the k&n more. i dont really want a cai anyways and k&n has been in this business for a while now so they know what they're doing.

Jpax
10-16-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by 2fastcivic
havent heard anything bad about aem except some of the rsx guys complain about the rattle or noise from the cai. they say all you have to do is adjust the intake. i have decided to go with the k&n typhoon. a guy w/ a type s switched to a typhoon from an aem cai. he liked the k&n more. i dont really want a cai anyways and k&n has been in this business for a while now so they know what they're doing.

I have a K&n filter on my carbon fibler intake........

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/511/9488/p/112027_8533951433050856152_vl.jpg

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/511/9488/p/112028_3684697134712236912_vl.jpg

SmoothOperator
10-16-2002, 11:33 PM
Paxie, quit whoring pics of your air intake all over the site! I know you're proud of er and all, but show some restraint!:D

todaCspec
10-17-2002, 04:47 AM
Pax,
we need to put your car on a dyno.

02SilverSiHB
10-17-2002, 05:03 AM
Got the new Honda Tuning mag today and they have a big article comparing all the air intakes for the RSX Type S K20A2 engine. I was pretty surprised by the results. The Cold Air Intakes kick butt! I have to get a CAI now to replace my K&N Typhoon but I'm about to be very poor, so that will just have to wait.

[list=1]
AEM CAI +20.7hp
DC Sports CAI +19.7hp
DC Sports SR +9.2hp
Injen SR +9.2hp
Jackson Racing SR +7.8hp
K&N Typhoon +7.4hp
AEM SR +5.4hp
[/list=1]
They all increasd torque by 2.5-5.7lb-ft, except for the K&N drop in filter it was no gain.

So, I guess if you multiple them all by .80 you will get the approx. power increases for our K20A3 engines. I wonder how good the ice box air intake thingy will do? Probably the same as the CAI's plus/minus 2hp.

I need to go look at that mag again. That's freakin nuts. I need one now, glad I bought this cheap one. Too bad they don't show numbers for the injen cai. And are you sure this is for the K series. I thought all those intakes were on different motors. Like the JR SR. That is for JRSC'd cars. I didn't think they made one for our car. I could have sworn those were for different engines

02SilverSiHB
10-17-2002, 05:08 AM

[list=1]
AEM CAI +20.7hp
DC Sports CAI +19.7hp
DC Sports SR +9.2hp
Injen SR +9.2hp
Jackson Racing SR +7.8hp
K&N Typhoon +7.4hp
AEM SR +5.4hp
[/list=1]

so now why do they say 5.4 for the AEM SR, but yet they say 7.3 here: http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/0201ht_rsxintake/

sicivic2002
10-17-2002, 11:33 AM
Ok I have problem with the article....specifically the pictures they show of the AEM CAI and the DC CAI. They aren't even installed properly. The pictures show them both coming up out of the engine bay instead in the fender where they should be. Here is a picture I took of the Magazine with AEM installed. Should we assume that HP numbers could be a lot different if the system is actually where it should be.

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/9636/p/112445_4914122757233382298_vl.jpg

02SilverSiHB
10-17-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by sicivic2002
Ok I have problem with the article....specifically the pictures they show of the AEM CAI and the DC CAI. They aren't even installed properly. The pictures show them both coming up out of the engine bay instead in the fender where they should be. Here is a picture I took of the Magazine with AEM installed. Should we assume that HP numbers could be a lot different if the system is actually where it should be.

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/9636/p/112445_4914122757233382298_vl.jpg
yeah, I know. That's what threw me off. I went and looked at the mag again today. IT was for the RSX-S but, the way they put the cai was stupid. They only did that beause they didn't want to mess with modifing the car. I'd say that may change things a bit, especially if the fan is blowing right at the filter :rolleyes:

sicivic2002
10-17-2002, 12:41 PM
Well not only that but think about it being out in the open like that there isn't really a restriction on air getting to the filter. When it is in the fender it really isn't in an open air environment like the picture shows.

DrPimpSiR
10-17-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by sicivic2002
Well not only that but think about it being out in the open like that there isn't really a restriction on air getting to the filter. When it is in the fender it really isn't in an open air environment like the picture shows.
I wouldn't say there is any real difference between how they installed it and the proper way. It would be negligable. I'm not sure I buy the 20 hp gain though! Aem's own dyno shows:
http://www.aempower.com/pdf/results/21-506%202002%20Acura%20RSX%20Type-S%20CAS.pdf
Peak gain of 12 hp.

TrippZ
10-17-2002, 01:36 PM
yeah i dont dig that 19 horserpower gain either. i mean cmon, wtf, that's 1/8th of the k20a3's engine power (more, because im counting the 160 to the flywheel)

but, again, they did it on the A2, sooooo who knows

02blksi
10-17-2002, 05:16 PM
basically what you can get from this article is that the OEM airbox is definetly an EXTREME bottleneck in our Kseries. By replacing that unit even with a SRI we yield some pretty impressive whp gains. The article basically showed that the SRI flowed the best due to their shorter intake lengths, therefore more air was introduced into the engine BUT at the cost of higher intake temps. Through monitoring the Intake air temp. sensor they were able to see the DRAMATIC air temp differences between the CAI's and the SRI's (CAI's yielded more power even though the flowed worse--longer intake lengths--due to the fact they greatly reduced the intake temps, as we all know very well more oxygen more power). IMO another good way to reduce some intake temps. would be to bypass the coolant line that runs through the bottom side of the throttle body (used primarily to warm the incoming air in cold start situatons). Therefore reducing intake temps and keeping the throttle body cooler. All in all i think that the article was really well written and there testing method altough some dont believe their results were performed in well controlled enviroments--not to many things were overlooked as far as accuracy is concerned IMO. I believe the gains they posted. REMEBER the Kseries is a whole new ballgame !! ---PLENTY OF POTENTIAL WAITING TO BE UNCORKED!!!--- --joe :)

gpt
10-17-2002, 05:32 PM
In the article they also mention that the air coming in via the CAI on the Dyno was the same temp as what was measured in real conditions on the road. Therefore they say the placement of the filter should not make a difference to the actual figures. They did not want to fit the filter as on an RSX this requires tampering with the windscreen washer reservoir. The important part for me though is how sensitive the K20 is to air temperature as mentioned by 02blksi. I have also noticed as the weather gets colder the car feels faster so this all seems to add up.

DynaSpeed
10-23-2002, 06:38 AM
What I enjoyed about the article was the actual flowbench statistics, and the findings of potential hybrid intakes. What was interesting was the Injen SR with the Jackson filter had the best flow. Therefore, I'm thinking the Injen CAI (even though the flow wasn't tested) with the Jackson filter may be something to look into.