PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else go through brake pads?

smokincivic
05-06-2004, 05:26 PM
Now dont get me wrong I drive the car hard, but I could drive it alot harder. I have 30k miles on it and just replaced my second set of brake pads and they were completly gone almost. Anyone have any recommendations on some hard core brake pads that wont wear so quickly. I plan on upgrading to a big brake set eventually but there aren't enough options right now in my price range (read the Brembos are too much and I hate the new AEM brake kits). Anyone have any experience with the EP and pissing through brake pads?

amctmg
05-06-2004, 06:28 PM
I've got 24k on mine and their almost new looking

Rudolph610
05-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by amctmg
I've got 24k on mine and their almost new looking

And you AutoX!

Try downshifting lol? j/k I think I'm about due to replace my factory set, 30k + 50ish miles.

darkvibe
05-06-2004, 07:55 PM
i just changed to aftermarket pads at 36k miles. the stock pads had about 80% life left on them. I drive hard but downshift when i slow down.

darkvibe
05-06-2004, 07:56 PM
check to make sure you calipers release properly...

amctmg
05-06-2004, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rudolph610
[B]And you AutoX!

I use more brakes on the street besides autox is only like 5 minutes worth of driving at the most

smokincivic
05-07-2004, 10:28 AM
I do downshift when I'm slowing down, I got the first set of pads replaced by my dealer and he said it wasn't under warranty because Honda says to replace pads every 8k miled in the front. Needless to say that resulted in an arguement, and they ended up covering it under warranty.

Darkvibe: what kind of aftermarkets did you get, do you like them?

Burgh
05-07-2004, 11:03 AM
Warped rotors? That'll kill pads real quick.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
05-07-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by smokincivic
I do downshift when I'm slowing down, I got the first set of pads replaced by my dealer and he said it wasn't under warranty because Honda says to replace pads every 8k miled in the front. Needless to say that resulted in an arguement, and they ended up covering it under warranty.

Darkvibe: what kind of aftermarkets did you get, do you like them?

new pads every other oil change?? LMAO! what a crock.

pads should last a MINIMUM 30k-40k miles.

smokincivic
05-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Burgh
Warped rotors? That'll kill pads real quick.

Should i be able to plainly see if they are warped or would I be required to remove the rotors completely to be able to tell?

BarracksSi
05-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by smokincivic
Should i be able to plainly see if they are warped or would I be required to remove the rotors completely to be able to tell?

You should be able to notice it while driving. It'll be a rhythmic pulse, but not in the pedal -- it's in how the car's motion slows down. Kinda like if you were pushing, then relaxing, the brake pedal.

I warped the rotors on my first Civic pretty quickly by braking hard and practically standing on the pedal while I was stopped. Since then, if I have to brake hard, then once I've stopped, I'll push the pedal down just enough to turn on the brake lights.

Once the rotors are heated up, they're more susceptible to damage both by the physical squeezing of the pads and by the uneven cooling that occurs when part of the rotor is sealed away underneath those pads.

I haven't warped brake rotors since.

smokincivic
05-07-2004, 12:52 PM
cool thanks for the tip, I do romp on the brake pedal pretty hard even after I've stopped and as previously stated I do drive hard, proabably to the point where they heat up pretty substantialy. There is some pulsing so thats more than likely my problem.

One other quick question, the brakes were pulsing prior to the first pad replacement and it stopped but now (approx 8k miles later) they are pulsing again and I can hear the wear strips hitting. Would this indicate that the dealership turned the rotors properly and I just messed them up again or would that indicate that they just threw new pads on my already warped rotors?

BarracksSi
05-07-2004, 01:13 PM
I'd think that you warped 'em again.

Turning rotors shouldn't be necessary unless they've become warped. They literally grind them back to being flat.

Did they turn the rotors when they replaced the previous set of pads? Once the rotors are turned, there's less metal, and they become more susceptible to warping. You might be needing completely new rotors soon if you keep up this pace.

Being hard on the brakes during deceleration isn't awful, but most of the damage will begin depending on how you let them cool after you've stopped.

Oh, and it might only take one or two instances of brake abuse to warp rotors. At one of the groups I taught, the drum instructor once drove the van to an after-rehearsal outing ;) and stood on the brakes like we're describing. Every time I drove it after that, I could feel the pulsing symptom of warped rotors, whereas it braked normally before.

siver-SI
05-07-2004, 01:29 PM
Lets face it are OEM brakes suck. Should they wear out that fast no way. When I did my drop I looked at my pads and at 10k I was around 70% left on the fronts. I do notice that I need to adjust my e-brake though.

I want to do a pad and roter upgrade this year.

smokincivic
05-07-2004, 02:01 PM
Anyone know what the cost to replace OEM rotors + pads vs aftermarket would be. Just a vague comparison reflecting what is out there for aftermarket brakes because if im going to do the job I would rather just spend a little more now on the aftermarket as opposed to doing the job and paying for the product twice if I go OEM.