PDA

View Full Version : One bad Si.....from One Bad Ody!

badcivicsi
05-07-2004, 06:46 PM
Hey guys/gals!

Ok......

I'm a 38 year old father of 2 and husband. I purchased my first Honda in 1991, a Civic Si! Tahitian green....great car! I've been driving Honda's ever since, and NOTHING but!

That first Si was perfect! I just sold it actually about a year ago. I had a B16 from Japan, Y1 tranny w/LSD....about every square inch of that car was replaced with performance parts, it was all original as far as paint and interior...and it was FLAWLESS! This car, with the stock 1.6 SOHC motor, ran a fast of 13.5 w/full interior! I built it myself with the help of GUDE racing. I got rid of it because I didn't have time for it anymore...kids and work were a bit more important than spending hours upon hours keeping the Si running strong. JDM ECU, guage cluster, motor....it all equaled alot of upkeep.

and....I had another project! I purchased a 2000 Honda Odyssey, yes the minivan in 2000. it was an LX, a family hauler...or so my wife thought!

over the past 4 years I've added:

-18" Speedy ATIX5 race wheels, 235/50/18 BFG KDWS
-Tanabe 2.25" drop springs
-Wings West and Honda optional body kit and rear roof wing
-100 shot NX nitrous kit and GENX 2 kit w/maximizer (flow computer)
-RC bored throttle body
-honed intake manifold
-Custom one off polished stainless Cold air intake and EFI filter
-custom Thermal based 2.5" exhaust
-custom painted fender stripes
-TONS of ICE! CDT Audio speakers and subs, DEI amps and cap, Audio control processors....it's SQ competition ready!

I'm about to do:
-cross drilled rotors and stainless lines
-twin turbo and intercooler
-dual exhuast and possibly supertrapp mufflers
-new amps

Total HP: 353 (stock on premium was 210)
Quick ET: 15.0 @ 93mph (with crappy contisports and NO traction! guessing this year we'll hit 14.3-14.5 w/new rubber)

anyway....after lighting up mustang after mustang, and TA after TA with my "minivan", I wanted to rid myself of one of the 2 4door civic's we had, a 02 LX and a 92 DX. I kept the DX as it was paid for, and traded the LX where I work, Classic Honda, for the last New '03 Vivid blue Si we had on the lot! Came with fogs, 'carbon' dash trim, mats and cargo net...all I paid for was cost on the fogs! ;)

So...I have my Si back..and this car is Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!! can't get over how solid, how fast and how well it handles!

Mods coming soon are:
-Jackson header
-Hondata reflash
-Eibach 1.4" drop springs
-Speedy race mode 16" rims
-Type R rear wing
-mild body kit? maybe a mugen/type R style with side sills...not sure yet. I like the look of the stock Si lowered w/wheels.

I'll be here often! with my 91 Si I was the GURU of a large Honda related site and board. I've built and raced Civics' and Odysseys' for years now, and love every minute of them!

Anyone have ANY honda related Questions, just ask! I'm learning the EP motor as I'm a D/B kinda guy...you know, old school :)

thanks and keep in touch!!

myeverlovinsir
05-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Nice historical write up. I know you will have fun modding the EP and I'm sure you will find all you need right here, I have numerous mods so far and others can fill in the blanks on more asethetic items. One question, were you thinking of the JR race header? If you were you may want to rethink that and purchace the DC race header. Other than that, welcome to the site.;)

oldschoolimport
05-07-2004, 07:06 PM
welcome to the boards. one oldschooler to another.;)

Tenacious G
05-07-2004, 07:20 PM
super, another EP owner who is older than me. welcome to the boards.

johnkimble
05-08-2004, 12:25 AM
hell yeah, you just influenced me to treat my car to something new ;)

welcome! that sounds like a hell of an odessy and i would instantly fall into a state of depression after being spanked by it!! lol glad ur here old man :D

peace

badcivicsi
05-08-2004, 05:14 AM
Thanks guys! :)

Now...a few philosphies of mine:

-Get the MOST for your money as far as horsepower
-Do speed BEFORE looks
-Research and get the best product you can!!!

I'm going with the JR header for HP gains. I've seen dyno numbers with intake and exhaust near 28hp! That's impressive! If you have something that makes more, let me know!

That's why i'm most likely going with the INJEN intake as well.

The only time I ever did point two above, looks/speed, was with the ODYSSEY. hard to find speed parts, so had to create them myself, but bodykits and wheels were available. heck, my 91 civic was running 13's on stock wheel covers! :)

I'm lowering the EP for one reason...better handling. it's a bit, ummm..soft sometimes on accelertion and cornering. a bit too much bob for my liking. and then i'm only doing 16's to keep the comfort level, add a bit of looks, but less profile and better grip. The michelins are a bit 'squealy' on dry cornering hard AT ALL!

All input on this car is welcome though...remember, I've only started to scratch the surface on the K potential!! :)

later all!

Jpax
05-08-2004, 08:47 AM
wow I feel like we were sepirated at birth ;) :D

Welcome to the board.

ShortThrowEP03
05-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Hey post some picks of the mini van man... !

beechstreet
05-09-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by ShortThrowEP03
Hey post some picks of the mini van man... !

^agreed, it sounds awesome. Ive never seen a tricked out Odyssey

badcivicsi
05-09-2004, 07:12 PM
I'll see what I can do. I have a few pics lying around...i'll have to scan them and post them. maybe by next weekend?

the JigGa mAn
05-10-2004, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by badcivicsi
I'll see what I can do. I have a few pics lying around...i'll have to scan them and post them. maybe by next weekend?

sweet ill be waiting for the pics...and welcome to the board now you have 2 mini vans :p

johnnydanger
05-10-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by oldschoolimport
welcome to the boards. one oldschooler to another.;)

i 2nd that...

Vertigo
05-10-2004, 06:15 PM
Yes! Pics of the van please. I love a modded Odyssey.

myeverlovinsir
05-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Thanks guys! :)

Now...a few philosphies of mine:

-Get the MOST for your money as far as horsepower
-Do speed BEFORE looks
-Research and get the best product you can!!!

I'm going with the JR header for HP gains. I've seen dyno numbers with intake and exhaust near 28hp! That's impressive! If you have something that makes more, let me know!

That's why i'm most likely going with the INJEN intake as well.

later all!

First off, the DC ceramic header, or race header is your best choice, you may have already figured that one out after reading a few posts, I will have dyno numbers soon for the race header, only problem is it includes the A2 head and K-pro and other mods, shame about that, but the cost is superior to other race headers, bar none. Second, you will want to rethink the injen aspect too. Read up on things for the K engine that I and others have posted and you will find that nothing beats the AEM CAI numbers in the real world. I know you are just starting out again and I have spent enough time that you should not waste yours. Me=time with N/A development, but hey your just staring out again so I don't mind sharing. Good luck!

badcivicsi
05-11-2004, 04:25 AM
Any input is greatly appreciated!!

as for the DC header....I heard it only makes 6+ hp? that's why I considered the JR header....

and the injen intake is the same...more hp? why do you say the AEM is better for 'real world apps'?

thanks!!

badcivicsi
05-11-2004, 04:25 AM

as for the DC header....I heard it only makes 6+ hp? that's why I considered the JR header....

and the injen intake is the same...more hp? why do you say the AEM is better for 'real world apps'?

thanks!!

myeverlovinsir
05-11-2004, 02:52 PM

thanks!!

Are you looking to get a race header (eliminates cat) or a shorty?

For 310 bucks, the DC race header will make much more than 6+ hp and is a few ponies better than the Comptech which is over 1k. The DC shorty was best for mid range tq. and had one of the best curves on the stock engine from my experience. I had 134tq at one point. Going to the A2 head dropped that a bit. As far as the AEM / Injen CAI debate I just know what I have seen with my own eyes 'real world'. The inflated numbers that are reported by some websites are what I suspect you are going by. The Injen intake is comparable to the AEM, just not my choice. ;)

badcivicsi
05-12-2004, 04:49 AM
hmmm....not sure on the header as I've heard such low numbers from the shorty. I figured for a couple hundred bucks, i'd get a heck of alot more HP!? what does the short produce? if it's under 10, to me that might not be worth it for the money. in my years of messing with the old Si and my odyssey, about 10 hp is where my butt dyno can tell. heck, on the reg. civic lx/ex, the 12 hp diff is not that noticable! I know I sell and drive them daily. I had a 5spd lx and loved that car. stuck with some guy on the freeway, then passed him in an EX!! :) most likely automatic...but hey....

so...all depends.....

thanks for the input!!

Si-Sissy-PA
05-12-2004, 11:35 AM
I love your original posting.... I would love to see this minivan!

I, too have a love for the 91 -- I am actually selling mine right now...

www.mattclower.com/siblog (http://www.mattclower.com/siblog)

I really really wish I could keep it, but I am moving to Phoenix, AZ in June and I just can't take it.

I have a little tribute / comparison / autocrossing blog about the 2 Si's ...

http://www.mattclower.com/car_gallery/

Kis4KEN
05-17-2004, 08:52 PM
i wanna see the odessy

after i pay off my car, i'd like to trade it in for an odessy... something about that minivan. seriously. i like em

badcivicsi
05-18-2004, 04:26 AM
I finally found some pics...i'll have to scan them tomorrow and try and get them posted.

phatfreeza
05-19-2004, 11:58 AM
am i the only one that thought that when he said "bad" he meant, he got a lemon? or two lemons since he said he had a "bad" ody.... hahahah i guess its just me.

anyways, nice writeup! i'm definitely looking forward to those ody pics! enjoy the site!

badcivicsi
05-19-2004, 01:15 PM
LOL...never thought of it like that. My current odyssey plate is "BADODY" and my soon to be personalized Si plate is going to be "1BADSI" it's in the family :)

STP03BlueSI
05-19-2004, 02:22 PM
Welcome

downhil
05-20-2004, 08:54 PM
pics?:D

eurosteez
05-21-2004, 12:27 PM
damn I wish I had your original Si:D

iNhaLe
05-21-2004, 01:41 PM
nice i look forward to seeing what u end up doing with your car, as for the minivan i too would like to see some pics of it, and as far as the intake you should look into the aem v2 intake dynos on it say it gives u 16 hp and 17 pounds of torque, they might be exagerating but they say its better than there the cold air, thats what i'm going with.