PDA

View Full Version : sway bars

03CivicSiHb
05-08-2004, 01:03 AM
alright, don't flame me, i have been doing some searching and i still don't undertand this. i just wanted to ask a few questions to better understand it:

1. what is the purpose of a sway bar?
2. how does it affect handling?
3. whats a good bar to upgrade to?(daily driver and maybe auto-x)
4. what is tear out?(i heard some people ask but no clear answer)
5. if i upgrade is there a chance something may break?
6. will it screw with my warranty?(if so oh well, if not oh well, lol)

sorry for the many questions, i just want to learn more about it. its like they say u can never stop learning.

-cecil

oldschoolimport
05-08-2004, 02:56 AM
1. to help control body roll and affect how much weight each tire sees under load
2. it makes both tires on one end of the car want to move up or down simultaneously. rather than the inside raise up and the outside drop therefore letting the car lean.
3. most people on here use the ctr 22mm rear. it is stiffer, reducing body roll and increasing the load on the outside rear tire. when the outside rear "loads" it slides out helping the car rotate (slide out). on the front the ctr has a 22mm which requires you to obtain a set of ctr aluminum lower control arms. the si has a 25 stock. the type s is 23 and is a bolt on (some like this, most keep the stock 25mm). stiffer in the front makes the car slide straight if you mess up. a softer front sway bar lets the tires move with the body roll and increase traction. car companys put stiff front bars and soft rear bars to compensate for idiots so they wont spin a car in an emergency manuever(sp?).
4. in rare occasions the sway bar mounts will come loose from the bottom of the car. it is possible, but rare.
5. other than the slight chance of tear out, some people have had endlinks break. that is also not very common.
6. only if they can prove that the parts contributed to the problem you are trying to get covered. the ctr bar looks like it is stock, because in some countrys it is. one other trick is to spray after market suspension parts with cheap black spray paint therefore hiding your "goodies".

hope this helps.

graham
05-08-2004, 02:39 PM
If you are not familiar with the effects that a swaybar will have on handling - start off with the RSX rear swaybar (and bushings). It bolts right up and is a fantastic upgrade. Then, go to the track and decide what you want to do next.

I just did mine and love it. Good luck!

K20A3Si
05-09-2004, 04:36 PM
i have the rsx rear sway bar...i could tell a difference in the rear of the car after installing it...the rear seems much more solid...the CTR or rsx rear sway bar you will be happy with.

the JigGa mAn
05-17-2004, 08:09 AM
so you want soft front stiff rear?

is a stiff front and a softer ok?

which one is better..i wanna be able to take turns with confidence at a higher rate of speed

priest6479
05-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Go Progress Rear/Front sways! the car will toss your ass out the window before it leans to the side. Well worth the money IMHO

Here is what the rear looks like
http://www.ep3world.com/gallery/sways/DSCF0021

and the front
http://www.ep3world.com/gallery/sways/DSCF0018

oh and for the sizes, the front is 27mm and the rear sway is 22mm
comes with all bolts needed and the rear has the lower tie bar included.

priest6479
05-17-2004, 11:55 AM
Go Progress Rear/Front sways! the car will toss your ass out the window before it leans to the side. Well worth the money IMHO

and the front

the JigGa mAn
05-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by priest6479

and the front

lol i read it the frst time..no need to double post :p

how much are both bars? and do they fit with NO modification?

graham
05-17-2004, 01:35 PM
What are your expectations of this upgrade??? Will you be taking your car to the track??? If you just want to reduce some of the understeer in the twisties ... get the RSX bar. No modifications necessary ... cheap ... fast and easy upgrade ... waaaaay better than stock.

Trust me on this, unless you are getting into competitive racing you don't need a 22+ mm rear bar or a thicker front sway ... well unless you have lots of money to piss away! Spend that extra money on better tires.

the JigGa mAn
05-17-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by graham
What are your expectations of this upgrade??? Will you be taking your car to the track??? If you just want to reduce some of the understeer in the twisties ... get the RSX bar. No modifications necessary ... cheap ... fast and easy upgrade ... waaaaay better than stock.

Trust me on this, unless you are getting into competitive racing you don't need a 22+ mm rear bar or a thicker front sway ... well unless you have lots of money to piss away! Spend that extra money on better tires.

yes i will be taking my car to the track.

tcostello3
05-17-2004, 02:15 PM
I run Hotchkiss Tuning 1" Front & Rear. i have the front set soft and the rear set hard. It's a blast to drive.

the JigGa mAn
05-17-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by tcostello3
I run Hotchkiss Tuning 1" Front & Rear. i have the front set soft and the rear set hard. It's a blast to drive.

link?

tcostello3
05-17-2004, 02:48 PM
hotchkisstuning.com

it's the RSX street kit.

the JigGa mAn
05-17-2004, 03:18 PM

how do you adjust them?

and do you have to mod anything to put them on?

tcostello3
05-17-2004, 03:23 PM
no mods.

they have 2-holes on each end of each bar. inside is tighter, outside is looser.

I installed new endlinks just because I've broken them on previuos Hondas due to an aggressive driving style on rough surfaces.

the JigGa mAn
05-17-2004, 03:29 PM
no mods.

they have 2-holes on each end of each bar. inside is tighter, outside is looser.

I installed new endlinks just because I've broken them on previuos Hondas due to an aggressive driving style on rough surfaces.

did you get the endlinks that are for the rsx too? and did you buy the stuff from the website or some place with a better price?

also will there be any problems when i upgrade my exhaust system?

tcostello3
05-17-2004, 03:39 PM
I called and bought from them. They had not officially released this kit for the ep yet. I just told them to send me endlinks too so I'm not sure of part#. It was a pretty expensive set-up but I've been very happy.

As far as exhaust clearance, I dunno. Looks a little tight on space towards the can so I guess it depends on how long the new can is.

the JigGa mAn
05-17-2004, 03:42 PM
awesome thanx for the help..if i have any more questions ill be sure to ask you..

the JigGa mAn
05-17-2004, 03:52 PM
what about the bushings? did you replace those?

tcostello3
05-17-2004, 04:07 PM
the kit comes with urethane bushings & lube. it's an easy install you don't need many tools either. I would suggest a set of ratcheting wrenches (boxend, metric, shorties are best) for the endlink nuts.

the JigGa mAn
05-17-2004, 04:30 PM
good deal i think that is what ill be getting once i get the money..lol..which will be soon I HOPE

priest6479
05-17-2004, 07:11 PM
Wow I didn't know I doub posted hehe, must have had a SQL error when I posted this.

The sways come with every nut, bolt, grease , bushing....Everything.

Just bolt and go and your golden.

amctmg
05-18-2004, 03:53 PM
I could not find any hotchkiss tuning

tcostello3
05-18-2004, 03:57 PM
Here ya go (http://www.hotchkistuning.com/cgi-bin/EDCstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=22404)

amctmg
05-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Here ya go (http://www.hotchkistuning.com/cgi-bin/EDCstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=22404)

OH 1 s not 2 I was looking for a long while :'( Thanks, Great products me wants real bad

tcostello3
05-18-2004, 04:07 PM
My bad I spelled it wrong in the post earlier. They seem to work great. They hold up to me so that a big + for their durability!