PDA

View Full Version : Help..Help..possible CV joint problem..

jserman
05-09-2004, 08:34 PM
This is long but hopefully someone will be able to help...

So I got some Nuespeed lowering springs and instead of paying 200 to have them installed I figure I would do it myself...

did some research on the internet and found some instructions..and I figured I was good to go..

started at 10:00 got the back all done and where looking good know to do the front..I figured this would be the hardest part..

I started on the driver side.. pulled everything apart got the new spring in it took some time then I went to atach the spindle to the strut and it would move...so after a few choice words I called my dad (ace mechanic that he is) explained to him what was going on and he told me that I probably pulled the CV out of the tranny and just shove it back in.. ok after some pushing and some shoving it went in and got everything back together.. driver side done..yea just the passenger side left..no problem learned from the other side this should take 30 minutes..yea right...

got everthing apart and started putting it back together and ran into same problem.. the spindle,brake,hub, would not rotate inward to line up the 2 bolts on the strut kinfof feels like it is binding.. no problem this is the same thing that happaned on the other side well after beetting and pounding could not get it to move.. called dad again..tried pulling CV joint off in process unbloted A-arm to bet spindle off of CV.. and nothing.. it almost looks like the CV joint it seperated at the second boot..inboard part of car but I don't know..well I figured I would rest I was very frustrated..my pop is going to do some research into what is going on I have 2 day of finals for school so the car is on blocks for 2 days (thank god I have a bike to get around) untill I either replaced or maybe one of you fine people shed some light on this subject..any help would be apprecaited even a plac to get cheap good CV joint quick would be nice..thanks in advance..I hope this all makes sense....

02civicSI
05-09-2004, 08:45 PM
i had the same problem as you when installed my coilovers. there are quite a few threads about this same problem. basically what you did was pop the driveshaft out so now you have to pop that thing back in there. below is an exploded view of the driveshaft and its components. there is a part called a "spider." that is what has popped out of the inboard joint. here is a trick that usually works. rotate the rotor counter clockwise a few turns and then clockwise and it should pop in there. you can actually feel the "spider" through the inboard rubber boot.

http://members.cox.net/toymachne/driveshaft.jpg

jserman
05-09-2004, 08:57 PM
that helps.. I tried look but didn't find anything on the forum about it...

is there anything else specail I need to do like pull out on the rotor while I spin it or anything???

thanks again

02civicSI
05-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by jserman
that helps.. I tried look but didn't find anything on the forum about it...

is there anything else specail I need to do like pull out on the rotor while I spin it or anything???

thanks again

just do what i said. it works most of the times. i would do for like 45 minutes and nothing but i would come back 10 min later and i would have it on within a minute. just gotta have some patience with it.

jserman
05-09-2004, 09:25 PM
will do.. plus all I have is time....

downhil
05-09-2004, 10:47 PM
the trick i used was to put my spare tire on and lug it down. now you have a ton more leverage for spinning the driveshaft and pushing on it. basically like a big steering wheel. just twist and push and it will go back together.

eventually!:D

oldschoolimport
05-09-2004, 10:56 PM
the cv boot band clamps are reusable. I took the clamp off, put the joint back in and put the clamp back on. to me it was easier than turning and pressing over and over. be careful not to lose much grease out of the boot.;)

jserman
05-14-2004, 10:05 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for all the Help.. You guys rock... I got everything all back together and it looks awesome..

EPhatch.com rules anytime I have ever had a questions you guys have answered it and quick to..

thanks

I will be posting pics as soon as I get them...

thanks again..:D

i-vtec04si
05-14-2004, 10:14 AM
that sucks man i had the same prob and my cv boots ended up leaking. so the replaced both axles under warrenty.... i got lucky b/c it was lowered.. and they still warrentyed it

02civicSI
05-14-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by jserman
Just wanted to say thanks for all the Help.. You guys rock... I got everything all back together and it looks awesome..

EPhatch.com rules anytime I have ever had a questions you guys have answered it and quick to..

thanks

I will be posting pics as soon as I get them...

thanks again..:D

glad to hear you got everything to go back in.