PDA

View Full Version : how to get a CTR ...?? Please??

KnightRider
05-10-2004, 06:44 PM
i dont know if this is a stupid request or not, but i'd really appreciate it if u guys could help me out here.

im wondering how i would be able to get a real CTR. the AUTHENTIC one.. meaning i want to know each process and each step to take to get the CTR to america. i live in southern california in the city of northridge. and i dunno where to get a real ctr either japan or canada or england? i dunno. if u'd guys could just hlep me out here or just tell me straight out if its impossible. casue i saw a real CTR at a meet last night that was right handed driver's side. soo i was wondering waht else anyoen knows about how to get a real ctr too. and how much.

if u guys could hlep me on this that'll be really aweosme. k thanks

the JigGa mAn
05-10-2004, 07:57 PM
there are places that can import them for you..BUT it cost a shit load of money..and since you live in cali arent your smog laws pretty strict? if you get a JDM CTR which is prolly what you would want it wont be smog legal and it will cost you to have it fixed...there is alot that goes into importing a car that i dont know about registering is one...if you have the TIME and the MONEY to do it knock your self out if you dont...then you might wanna think about buying something else..

b/c honestly if it was simple and cheap to have a CTR imported here none of us would be driving Sis and SiRs

twenty02si
05-10-2004, 08:09 PM
well to get you the best straight out answer i would talk to the guys at jdm honda parts (www.jhpusa.com) cause they are the know all end all of jdm honda shit. they have in their possesion a dc5-R that they say was a mistake. something about customs let it slip through. so mot likely the JDM EP3 you saw was an illeagle. but thats my opinion. so your chances are slim to none. but even if you got one into the usa, youd spend so damn much on gas cause they are set up to run off of a certain octane of fuel depending where you got it from (i.e. UK,japan, or australia) i think uk its like 96, australia is like 98, and japan is 100 or 101. those numbers probably arent accurate but you get my drift. you will need to spend seeing how you are in cali like 2.00 a galon plus an octane booster to make it equevlant to that of the market it was meant for. so your best bet is to go with an SI make the outside a type-r and throw in a type-s motor and tranny cause you'd be makin the same power as a type-r. so in conclusion you probably wont be able to get one stateside. sorry man. i know it sucks. and by the way if anyone has a more accurate reason help the man out cause i know im probably wrong. im out~

twenty02si
05-10-2004, 08:09 PM
by the way whats the difference between the si and siR

the JigGa mAn
05-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by twenty02si
by the way whats the difference between the si and siR

heated side mirrors..and i think thats it...im not sure if it has heated windshiled nozzels

they also got milano red in 02 and 03 not sure if they still get it..

ATRIOT
05-10-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by KnightRider
and i dunno where to get a real ctr either japan or canada or england? i dunno.

hahah, no CTR's up here man.

graham
05-11-2004, 09:04 AM
http://www.j-garage.com/sale/usedcars/stock/109458.html

Excited??? Now read this (from www.j-garage.com):

"If you are in the US :
This is information about importing the JDM car into the US.

As you may know, all the Japanese specifications vehicles (JDM car) are Right Hand Drive. Unfortunately, it is difficult to import JDM cars into the US at present except the 25 years or older model. It is because you have to obtain the approval from the DOT and the EPA in order to import the JDM car and it needs to legalize a car when it will reach to the US port.

Let me advise you that unless you wish to present crash test data for any Right Hand Drive car, it cannot legally be imported to the US. This is prohibitively expensive as a vehicle must be crashed to obtain the data, and we do not support the crash test data. Also the JDM car probably do not meet the US emission standard. And after 1996 models probably need to install the OBD2 system in order to pass the emission standard.

For your information, here is a link of the US importing information.
EPA : http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/quikover.htm
DOT : http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/
US customs : http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cgov/import/

NOTE : We J's Garage Export do not support any import procedure. The buyer is responsible for any necessary procedures, or any transfers, or any modifications for them to import the car."

ApexinSi
05-11-2004, 09:19 AM
SiRs in canada get stock heated side mirrors, fog lights and daytime running lights

Si3
05-11-2004, 09:34 AM
Sorry to keep destroying your dream... but...

It is illegal to drive a right-hand drive car in america, it will cost you ATLEAST $7000 to have it converted, and upwards of 15K just to make it legal to drive. not to mention the thousands it will take to buy one and have it shipped here.

Overall, your much better off keeping the EP, spending that 20K on an A2, 6spd with LSD, SiR Wheels & Kit. And still have over 10 K to play with in performance/JDM appearance mods.

Or if you really want to spend upwards of 50-60K into getting a car imported stateside, all i have to say is: R34!

-Aj-

the JigGa mAn
05-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Si3
Sorry to keep destroying your dream... but...

It is illegal to drive a right-hand drive car in america, it will cost you ATLEAST $7000 to have it converted, and upwards of 15K just to make it legal to drive. not to mention the thousands it will take to buy one and have it shipped here.

Overall, your much better off keeping the EP, spending that 20K on an A2, 6spd with LSD, SiR Wheels & Kit. And still have over 10 K to play with in performance/JDM appearance mods.

Or if you really want to spend upwards of 50-60K into getting a car imported stateside, all i have to say is: R34!

-Aj-

it would have to be a shitty R34 for 50-60K....the R34s ive seen go for 90-100k+.. its not illegal to drive a RHD car in america ive seen a couple of cars (R32,R33,R34, JDM DC2R and some more) the skylines ive seen in chicago/burbs

klik
05-11-2004, 10:16 AM
k20a2 done deal!

Si3
05-11-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by the JigGa mAn
its not illegal to drive a RHD car in america ive seen a couple of cars (R32,R33,R34, JDM DC2R and some more) the skylines ive seen in chicago/burbs

I've seen people smoking crack, does that make it legal?

Yes it is illegal to drive a RHD car in america. Show me any document that says other wise.

-Aj-

mdoyle
05-11-2004, 11:33 AM
The RHD law is different for every state. I know for a fact that Arizona has no law against it. You would have to find out what the local laws are for you.

the JigGa mAn
05-11-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Si3

Yes it is illegal to drive a RHD car in america. Show me any document that says other wise.

-Aj-

show me a document that says it is illegal

and if it was illegal us customs would not allow importation of RHD vehicles

graham
05-11-2004, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE]From http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/ELIG102803.html

Under 49 U.S.C.

RMC22
05-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Si3

:D :D :D

twenty02si
05-11-2004, 05:12 PM
a remark for the gt-r comments the only reason there are gt-r's here is because motorx has struck a deal with the government allowing them over here only after extensive modification. just to give you an idea

98 GT-R ---(Japan)$28,000
---(us after modifications)$98-120,000

so unless a company starts up doind the same that motorx did except w/ hondas im sorry looks like u should look for some realestate in hiroshima, or tokyo brothers

ep_nezay
05-11-2004, 09:20 PM
they have in their possesion a dc5-R that they say was a mistake.

That car was sold along time ago, just so you know. Its one of the hottest car Ive driven:)

civic type b
05-12-2004, 11:31 AM
If you REALLY want one, go to these guys: www.evolutionimports.com I was going to get a LHD CTR for around 27-28k... but at the low prices of used 02's I could do the swap for a lot less.

You can imort a RHD car... it is just alot tougher

B

fsugatorbait
05-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by civic type b
If you REALLY want one, go to these guys: www.evolutionimports.com I was going to get a LHD CTR for around 27-28k... but at the low prices of used 02's I could do the swap for a lot less.

You can imort a RHD car... it is just alot tougher

B

How much did you look into this? In a few years, once my EP is paid off and depending on my financial situation I would love to import a DC5R for about $30k. Any info you have on this would be appreciated.

mdoyle
05-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by graham
It sounds like if you want a car that's not on that list (and the CTR is not on that list), you need to convince the gov't that it is sufficiently similar to a US car (which the CTR is not), or buy one or several of them for the gov't to crash test ... but that's just me doing a quick read of the site ... I don't really care to look any further ... for those of you who think they can shell out the 2 - 3 million Yen for CTR, then please read more and let us all know more :)
What makes the CTR not similar to our Si's besides the different engine/tranny?

Either way, RHD CTR's have been imported to the U.S. A guy that lives a mile from my house has an EK CTR, it's very nice, he drives it all the time. In fact, he was at PIR (Phoenix International Raceway) driving it not too long ago.

civic type b
05-12-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
How much did you look into this? In a few years, once my EP is paid off and depending on my financial situation I would love to import a DC5R for about $30k. Any info you have on this would be appreciated.

Quite a bit actually... I talked to Adam at Evo imports and he filled in what I didnot know about importing cars. A good place to start is US Customs webpage. There is a link to a pdf that tells you what they need from DOT and EPA to allow the car into the counrty. But no make a long story short: Evo imports cars and modifies them to be equivilent to US cars. The DOT requires things and so does the EPA, and basically they do what is needed.

B

chartinael
05-12-2004, 01:48 PM
come to germany .. ctrs here (don't go to the uk unless you want the wrong hand drive ...)

kristin

fsugatorbait
05-12-2004, 01:52 PM
Quite a bit actually... I talked to Adam at Evo imports and he filled in what I didnot know about importing cars. A good place to start is US Customs webpage. There is a link to a pdf that tells you what they need from DOT and EPA to allow the car into the counrty. But no make a long story short: Evo imports cars and modifies them to be equivilent to US cars. The DOT requires things and so does the EPA, and basically they do what is needed.

B

So basically Evo imports is selling you a US ready car that just needs to be registered? Or are there special hoops the government will still make you jump through?

fsugatorbait
05-12-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by chartinael
come to germany .. ctrs here (don't go to the uk unless you want the wrong hand drive ...)

kristin

Or maybe you could ship me one along with the carpet? :angel:

How bout it? ;)

civic type b
05-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
So basically Evo imports is selling you a US ready car that just needs to be registered? Or are there special hoops the government will still make you jump through?

Ready to go with a Florida title.

B

chartinael
05-12-2004, 02:15 PM
will see what I can do for you within your budget ;-) Damn, that carpet has still not arrived .... :-( but then again, maybe it has ... there was a package delivered today but I need to go to post office tomorrow to pick it up ... could be some of my ebay purchases though ....

fsugatorbait
05-13-2004, 05:05 AM
Ready to go with a Florida title.

B

Wow talk about exclusivity, definately gonna check them out. Thanks for all your help.:)

Kristin, just keep me posted. :cool:

03silverEP
05-14-2004, 10:20 AM
Motorex can import skylines because not only do they make them legal emission wise they invested $300,000 to have 3 GTR's crash tested by the U.S. government.

Type X
05-14-2004, 05:22 PM
right after i bought my si

passwordjdm.com

had a rear ended jdm ctr they offered taht i could buy from 10,000

i was MUCHO upset

Harbourmaster
05-17-2004, 03:34 AM
well to get you the best straight out answer i would talk to the guys at jdm honda parts (www.jhpusa.com) cause they are the know all end all of jdm honda shit. they have in their possesion a dc5-R that they say was a mistake. something about customs let it slip through. so mot likely the JDM EP3 you saw was an illeagle. but thats my opinion. so your chances are slim to none. but even if you got one into the usa, youd spend so damn much on gas cause they are set up to run off of a certain octane of fuel depending where you got it from (i.e. UK,japan, or australia) i think uk its like 96, australia is like 98, and japan is 100 or 101. those numbers probably arent accurate but you get my drift. you will need to spend seeing how you are in cali like 2.00 a galon plus an octane booster to make it equevlant to that of the market it was meant for. so your best bet is to go with an SI make the outside a type-r and throw in a type-s motor and tranny cause you'd be makin the same power as a type-r. so in conclusion you probably wont be able to get one stateside. sorry man. i know it sucks. and by the way if anyone has a more accurate reason help the man out cause i know im probably wrong. im out~

Petrol (gas) in the UK is 95 RON. Honda recommends 98 RON for the UK CTR, but 95 is OK.

JDM CTRs run on 100 RON, which is not availablle in the UK.

What RON is your petrol in the USA?

$2 a gallon. Jesus, we pay

cease
05-17-2004, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by KnightRider
. casue i saw a real CTR at a meet last night that was right handed driver's side.

who has this type R? what color is it

VietSi
05-18-2004, 08:27 PM
hey check out this site:

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/newcars/modelHome.jsp?yearId=2004&modelId=10413&bodyId=10732&bodyDescription=Type-R&engineId=&badgeId=&transmissionId=&colourId=&colourAllocationId=&wheelPartNo=&source=modelHome

and click on export at the bottom...its about tax exemption for export sales but they provide contact info...you might want to contact them for info.

Type-R-Steve
06-11-2004, 11:25 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Harbourmaster
[B]Petrol (gas) in the UK is 95 RON. Honda recommends 98 RON for the UK CTR, but 95 is OK.

JDM CTRs run on 100 RON, which is not availablle in the UK.

What RON is your petrol in the USA?

$2 a gallon. Jesus, we pay

PRIDE_EP3
06-11-2004, 05:50 PM
HEY...TRY THIS WEBSITE...http://www.evolutionimports.com/
I THINK THEY MIGHT BE GET ONE FOR U.....
ANYWAYS....DUNNO IF THIS INFO WILL HELP U OR NOT....BUT KEEP THE DREAM U WISH...IT MIGHT BE COME TRUE IN ONE DAY...:eek:

enecks
06-11-2004, 09:41 PM
$29k for a converted/legalized ITR...that's what, about 4-5k on top of an RSX-S? Hmmm....worth it?

enecks
06-11-2004, 10:04 PM
ok, i just did some research on the honda of australia page, and down there, an ITR goes for $42,990AU, which, according to xe.com is worth $29,736.18 today. i'm not entirely sure how much it costs in Japan since the Japanese site is in Japanese, but if my assumptions about a few of the numbers I found are correct, it should be about $22,694.19. So it seems that shipping, tax, conversion, and legalization through Evolution imports is approximately $6305.81. I would think converting an RSX-S to an ITR would cost significantly more than that, so I guess it's a pretty good deal after all. But, then again, is it worth the extra $5k to have 25 extra horses and cooler bodywork/interior/emblems/whatnot?

krnboy817
06-11-2004, 10:11 PM
i dont know they dont sound right to me... i mean... Motorex sells R34 and R33 for like 70 to 100g but how can they sell it for so cheaper price...

i would get one if it is that price instead of a new usdm car...
but skylines only cost about 9000 usd and thats buying an R34 00-01 model cuz my cuzin got one cuz he lives in new zealand... so even 24 -30g is alot for what its really worth and priced for.

HASNIC
06-21-2004, 06:55 AM
In the UK you can also get Super Unleaded which is 97 RON, and Honda recommend you use Super Unleaded in the manual.

The manual states anything over 95 RON, we get no gain with anything more tha 95RON fuel

2QK4U ALLWAYS
06-21-2004, 10:32 AM
One way you can import it, is if you a have a competetion licence and you are strictly using the car for competetion use only. For example if you Rally Race the car it will have licence plates so you can drive it on the street but only to and from competetion therefore you can have all illegal stuff on it and you can not get fined. then if you get pulled over and you are not going to a competetion you just say you are going to practice or a shop for servicing.
This option is still quite expensive and you actually have to race the car :angel:

G..
06-29-2004, 04:33 AM
Lo Hasnic (G here)

Hey do ya think we can bust into the Swindon factory and change a few destination orders on some CTR's for these guys?

BTW what the hells happened to our forum m8??!!

HASNIC
06-29-2004, 04:56 AM
Lo Hasnic (G here)

Hey do ya think we can bust into the Swindon factory and change a few destination orders on some CTR's for these guys?

BTW what the hells happened to our forum m8??!!

Will have to look into the ways of getting the CTR over to the States, looks like it could be a little money maker G :D

Time to start making friends with a few people at the factory me thinks :D :D

Dunno what going on with our Forum, i thought it had been blocked at work as i spent all day on yesterday but to my relief (in a weird kinda way) its down, but it's happening to often for my liking :rolleyes:

Looks like the Club Banner is almost sorted for JAE :D

G..
06-30-2004, 03:36 AM
Hmmm exporting CTRs to the USA, could be a good idea, I used to know someone with a sea freight company. Perhaps a call is in order. We'd have to send German ones over I guess :)

N1 on banner looking forward to JAE, I will have the JRSC on for then as well ;)

03silverEP
06-30-2004, 09:37 AM
if you want to be 'shady' go thru a canadian port, it'll be easier