PDA

View Full Version : Honda trying to give me the runaround

solutionep3
05-11-2004, 11:39 AM
Went in to Lute Riley Honda here in Richardson, Texas where i bought my car to have them look at the tranny. as you all know Grind from 1 to 2nd, won't always go into reverse. I know many people have had the same problem, and i'm hoping i can get some advice for what to do.
they also said that if i get the 22k or 25k services done then they can look at the tranny for me. Such Bull SHit

04SI27893
05-11-2004, 12:04 PM
me=honda dealer, if your facing dealer is giving you a hard time when you are in factory warranty. give customer relations a call, number in back of owners manual and tell them what the problem is and i bet you get a response fro m your dealer asap. hope this helps 04si27893:D

esmith13
05-11-2004, 12:42 PM
so your a honda dealer, eh? Got a question for you then.

I'm having that obnoxious clutch noise/clunk and I have a turbo kit. Do you think my dealer should still help me? Do you know if there was an official noted problem with the clutch and/or clutch master cylindar that i could mention so i don't get a hard time from them??

solutionep3, sorry to jack your thread, dude. ;)

Eric

04SI27893
05-11-2004, 01:10 PM
ok i assume you are still under factory warranty? to my knowledge there are no recalls or service bulletins on that specific concern, you should take it in and let the dealer determine what the concern is, just be kind and ask them for help in coverage if they deny the claim, see what happens...04si27893:D

esmith13
05-11-2004, 02:47 PM
Actually I'm at 41,000mi but i have the extended warranty from Honda, so i'm assuming i have the same "great honda coverage" that I had the first 36,000mi.

Eric

solutionep3
05-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Well i went back about an hour ago. I spoke with the service manager and he is gonna get me in on thursday. ends up the guy who told me that is in some hot water for that before, I hope i didn't get him fire but he had it comin if he did.:eek:

the JigGa mAn
05-11-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by solutionep3
Well i went back about an hour ago. I spoke with the service manager and he is gonna get me in on thursday. ends up the guy who told me that is in some hot water for that before, I hope i didn't get him fire but he had it comin if he did.:eek:

why do you hope you didnt get him fired? if he treats a customer like shit then he got what was commin to him...its b/c of you buying a car and taking it there for service he gets a paycheck...dont bite the hand that feeds you

fASTBACK
05-11-2004, 04:30 PM
They will most likley tell you this:

Honda: "Sorry, we have tried to duplicate this problem many times but it was unsuccessful. If we can not replicate this, we can not fix this."

You: " Of course, it does not happen all the time. It only happens on occasion."

Honda: "Sorry, we can't do anything."

You: "Okay"

This is what happens 98% of the time someone tries to fix their tranny grind in 2nd. It happened to me also.

And for the reverse, just reclucth again and it will go in.

Mugen Power
05-11-2004, 04:32 PM
So I guess the tranny thread and the tranny petition isn't doing any good...

!@#$%
05-12-2004, 02:17 PM
that's ok. I bought my ep from there and almost got into a fist fight with a car salesman. The guy honked at me and gave me a 'go to hell' look all because I stopped to park.

fuck that guy. I hate lute riley. Call vandergriff in arlington.

SONIC SI
05-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by fASTBACK
They will most likley tell you this:

Honda: "Sorry, we have tried to duplicate this problem many times but it was unsuccessful. If we can not replicate this, we can not fix this."

You: " Of course, it does not happen all the time. It only happens on occasion."

Honda: "Sorry, we can't do anything."

You: "Okay"

This is what happens 98% of the time someone tries to fix their tranny grind in 2nd. It happened to me also.

And for the reverse, just reclucth again and it will go in.

This is the same thing they said when I brought my car in cause my CD player started skiping.

ErikBrescher
05-12-2004, 04:50 PM
For the most part if you don't get what you're looking for from you dealer and if you are willing to put in the effort, American Honda will fix things for free 99 times out of a hundred.

They are sooooooo afraid to have unsatisfied customers that they honor totally bull$chitt warranty claims. Just one example I had to deal with last month was a customer who had a 2003 Pilot that had barely noticable rust on his stock rims. The guy called and called until he got what he wanted. We wound up giving him brand new rims free of charge.

As far as the EP3 with the turbo... you might be in a bind with that one because all they have to do is look under the hood, at which time they can point the finger at your turbo. If you were to take it in to the shop for the tranny, I would spend a long sunday taking the turbo out and getting it back to as stock as possible.

Issues like trannys: I wouldn't be surprised if we see Honda do something about this tranny problem in the next year. My logic is this: as our EP3's get older, the problems are only going to get worse. Honda will want to fix them sooner rather than later because they don't want a repeat of the 2000-2001 Accord tranny mess that forced them to extend all affected drivetrain warranties to 100k free of charge to the owners. Sometimes it's an easy fix, which i hope is the case for our cars. (The recent Odyssey recall with the oiljet replacement is an example of such an easy solution).

Keep petitioning~!

Mugen Power
05-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Well, this better happen soon because I might be out of a warranty by the time next year rolls around...

972BlackSi
05-12-2004, 09:23 PM
that's ok. I bought my ep from there and almost got into a fist fight with a car salesman. The guy honked at me and gave me a 'go to hell' look all because I stopped to park. fuck that guy. I hate lute riley. Call vandergriff in arlington.

yeah, i bought my ep from lute riley and when i left i was about to kill all of them. the salesmen take crap their pants when park and aren't middle aged and looking for an Accord. screw lute riley, seriously they suck at customer service. they just pressure people (not me) into buying cars so they can have the record of #1 sales in the US. try honda cars of mckinney - good techs and service.

SIxtasy
05-13-2004, 12:56 AM
OK first, wasn't there a service paper from Honda about the 2nd gear cog, or Syncro?? I thought they said that they were manufactured incorrectly for our tranny as well as the RSX? They never did a recall. but would replace it. if it came in. I thought I remember that. I know the Acura dealer wher I get my oil filters told me that they have RSX's in ALL THE TIME.. and they replace that part.

Originally posted by esmith13
Actually I'm at 41,000mi but i have the extended warranty from Honda, so i'm assuming i have the same "great honda coverage" that I had the first 36,000mi.

Eric

Why did you buy an extended warranty if you were going to turbo your car? No dealer in there right mind is going to warranty a turbo'd EP for Clutch problems. In reality you powertrain, and electrical warrenty should be gone.

fASTBACK
05-13-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by SIxtasy
OK first, wasn't there a service paper from Honda about the 2nd gear cog, or Syncro?? I thought they said that they were manufactured incorrectly for our tranny as well as the RSX? They never did a recall. but would replace it. if it came in. I thought I remember that. I know the Acura dealer wher I get my oil filters told me that they have RSX's in ALL THE TIME.. and they replace that part.

Really? Can you give more info. If so, we should all be at the dealership right now as we speak.

silum
05-13-2004, 08:03 AM
Here you go.
http://rsx.clubrsx.com/bulletins/transmission/synchronizerbulletin.pdf

esmith13
05-13-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by SIxtasy
Why did you buy an extended warranty if you were going to turbo your car? No dealer in there right mind is going to warranty a turbo'd EP for Clutch problems. In reality you powertrain, and electrical warrenty should be gone.

2 reasons

1) my credit is bad and my intrest rate was reduced 3% by getting it (thus making it pay for itself and thensome)

2) I didn't honestly PLAN to turbo when I bought the car...

Reason #1 still makes me not mind tho...

Oh, and my dealer is reletively nice - they have fixed lots on my car NOT powertrain/engine related. Still worth the $$

Eric

bloodzombie
05-13-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by silum
Here you go.

Doesn't the type S have a completely different tranny than us?

Also, if they just replace the synchros because htey're worn (after 10k miles? that's fucked), isn't it just gonna happen again?

mdoyle
05-13-2004, 09:49 AM
They probably replace them with a totally different design of the synchros.

And yes, the S tranny is different than ours.

fASTBACK
05-13-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by silum
Here you go.

Link doesn't work. If the trannys are different than why would they fix ours?

Rey
05-17-2004, 01:32 AM
MAN I LOVE GOOOOOGLE

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsummary.cfm?tsbs_id=10005348&model_yr=2002&make=HONDA&model=CIVIC

Rey
05-17-2004, 01:36 AM
There is a TSB out there for our cars. Number #111703 or NHTSA #10005348

Word of advice, do not have these guys do research for you. SOOOOO expensive. :eek:

"We charge a standard labor charge of $38.73 per hour for requests involving computer searches, locating and copying documents. In addition, we charge duplication fees, which are $0.10 per page for paper-based or imaged documents. Some files are only available on microfiche; which means you will receive the equivalent number of microfiche sheets."

ToingToing
05-17-2004, 08:54 AM
my honda dealer here is taking good care of me. 2 weeks ago (friday), i went there for the 12,000 tune up. i got a free oil change and told them that my clutch is making a weird noise.

me: hey guy, i came here for an oil change and also, my clutch is making a weird creaking noise. is there anyway you can check it?

honda-tech: sure, give us a couple of hours and just come and pick up the car later this afternoon.

me: cool, sounds good.

(later that day)

me: hey guy, so did you find whats wrong with the clutch?

honda-tech: man, your tranny is messed up and it will take us couple of days to work on it. can you bring your car on monday?

me: yeah sure. (handed them my keys... and they gave me a free rental dodge CARAVAN. shit's pimp..hahaha)

then next day...i called him up. btw, his name is mike.

me: hey mike, so when will you be done working on my car?

mike: oh man, your tranny is real bad. the main gearing is all messed up. it will take us about 2 weeks coz i just ordered the parts today and they'll be here by monday.

me: alrite, sounds good.

mike: hey man, are you racing your car?

me: oh no man (im lying..hehe..) the reason was because i was trying to downshift it from 5th to 4th but it went in to 2nd when i was in the freeway.

mike: oh, alrite, yeah, that's probably how it started it all. but dont worry man, we got you covered. you dont have to worry about anything.

me: alrite man, thanx, good lookin out...

so hopefully by wednesday or thursday of this week, i will be gettin my car. im a happy kid in the block now...hahaha.. aite, im out.. peace

solutionep3
05-17-2004, 10:06 AM
Well they called me up on friday saying that they could not replicate the problem, but they said that the tech would drive it and if that didn't work then I would drive with the tech riding with me.
So the Honda tech is driving not shifting fast or very hard at all, and he's is like "I'm not seeing any problems with the shifting." Next i jump in the first time into second clean 2nd time grind ant the third time grind. so we get back to the dealer and the tech says hey your shifting pretty high (at about 6k rpms) i'm say yeah it's a sporty little car you don't drive it like your driving mrs. daisy.

All and all they took it in today gonna trop the tranny and replace the worn parts. hopefully they wont mess it up like they did with my window fun channel.

Sorryy for the long reply but hopefully if anyone else has the same problem you can tell them that you want the tech to do a ride along.

~Alex

NemesisITR
05-17-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by solutionep3

You must be talking about Nigel Loweth. He is a pretty cool guy. Tell him Derek with the VBP 03 he helped with last year put a Type S motor in.