PDA

View Full Version : Which way is correct for swabar install?

trabadoo22
05-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Before everyone jumps in and yells search, I have, but all the pictures won't show up for me. I took some pictures of the Progress sway bar in two positions if anyone wants to post them for me; I'm computer illiterate. Then hopefully someone can let me know which way is correct. Or if anyone can give me some info or a link that would be cool too. Thanks.

amctmg
05-11-2004, 09:00 PM
It would be very hard to install it the wrong way ( upside down ) Its very simple just put thew new one on like the old one was 2 nuts and 4 bolts

oogy-boogy
05-12-2004, 04:42 AM
Click on my link to K-series below. There's a good how to (I would recommend you do it with an allen wrench and make sure it's metric. The plier method listed on K-series sucked IMO :) ). Use lots of PB Lube on the endlinks as they're crusted on if the EP's not an 04.

Basically, just look at the OEM and the aftermarket. It's pretty difficult to put it on upside down.

oogy-boogy
05-12-2004, 04:58 AM
Click on my link to K-series below. There's a good how to (I would recommend you do it with an allen wrench and make sure it's metric. The plier method listed on K-series sucked IMO :) ). Use lots of PB Lube on the endlinks as they're crusted on if the EP's not an 04.

Basically, just look at the OEM and the aftermarket. It's pretty difficult to put it on upside down.

trabadoo22
05-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Ok, thanks for the info and link. I just got some PB lube so hopefully I should be ok. I just heard of a few people putting it on backwards so I wanted to make sure. Someone posted that when tightening the swaybar down the suspension should be compressed. I assumed this meant without the car jacked up. Is there any truth to that? The k-series link didn't seem to mention that so I'm not sure. Unless that is the last step when I should check everything.

BarracksSi
05-12-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by trabadoo22
Someone posted that when tightening the swaybar down the suspension should be compressed. I assumed this meant without the car jacked up. Is there any truth to that?

It might not matter, since the bar merely rotates, and doesn't compress (at least when the car is level). If the car is lifted, though, at least you can be sure that both wheels are at the same location in travel, which would make it easy to attach the bar.

Mine got done while lifted, FWIW.

oogy-boogy
05-13-2004, 04:03 AM
Ok, thanks for the info and link. I just got some PB lube so hopefully I should be ok. I just heard of a few people putting it on backwards so I wanted to make sure. Someone posted that when tightening the swaybar down the suspension should be compressed. I assumed this meant without the car jacked up. Is there any truth to that? The k-series link didn't seem to mention that so I'm not sure. Unless that is the last step when I should check everything.

I did mine while it was up on jackstands.

One other tip: Be very careful with the endlinks as the allen key hole is soft metal and will strip easily....

BarracksSi
05-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by oogy-boogy
One other tip: Be very careful with the endlinks as the allen key hole is soft metal and will strip easily....

I can attest to that -- I stripped one of mine.

Spray some WD-40 or something to loosen the rust on the bolt, and use a wire brush (such as brass) to get it out of as much of the threads as possible before attempting to remove that nut. Mine probably wouldn't have stripped if I did the prep work beforehand.

Or, use a needle-nose pair of channel lock (aka Vise Grip) pliers to hold onto the bolt on the other side of the sway bar end. It's kinda difficult to describe, but it's easy once you get a good look -- there's the nut, the bar end, a flange (part of the bolt), the rubber boot, and the endlink cap. You'll want to get a hold of that flange REALLY TIGHT with the pliers, and hold the bolt steady that way.

You'll probably have to at least get the nut started using the allen key in the end of the bolt before you have room to use the pliers.

trabadoo22
05-13-2004, 08:31 PM
Awesome, thanks for all the help. I will be installing them this Sat. with the help of a friend. He has some power tools so hopefully that will make it easier. Thanks.

BarracksSi
05-14-2004, 03:49 AM
You shouldn't need power tools for this -- just some good ol' arm strength would take care of it.

trabadoo22
05-14-2004, 06:01 PM
Even better then. I keep getting confused about which install I'm talking about. We are also installing a new exhaust. The bolts by the cat are a pain to get out so we will be using air tools for that. If we need them for the sway install they will be there for us to use.

amctmg
05-14-2004, 06:16 PM
I highly suggest using a torch on the nuts on the back of the cat to get them cherry red before loosening or they may strip or worse snap off:eek:

BarracksSi
05-14-2004, 07:42 PM
Even better then. I keep getting confused about which install I'm talking about. We are also installing a new exhaust.

What's better than just installing a sway bar? Why, installing other stuff at the same time, of course.

Cool -- have fun!

trabadoo22
05-16-2004, 08:11 PM
Ok, my friend and I got everything installed. Everything went ok except for the rust all over the nuts and bolts, but we managed fine. The PB lube worked pretty good at desolving the rust. Anyways, I am concerned that the rear sway may be installed incorrectly though. I don't have any problems and no bounciness that others complain about, but I just want to make sure. I have pics of the rear sway installed, but unfortunately I don't know how to post them here. So if I could email them to someone who knows how so they could post them here I would appreciate it. It would really suck to break an endlink or something. Plus other users could use this for future reference.

oogy-boogy
05-17-2004, 05:25 AM
Ok, my friend and I got everything installed. Everything went ok except for the rust all over the nuts and bolts, but we managed fine. The PB lube worked pretty good at desolving the rust. Anyways, I am concerned that the rear sway may be installed incorrectly though. I don't have any problems and no bounciness that others complain about, but I just want to make sure. I have pics of the rear sway installed, but unfortunately I don't know how to post them here. So if I could email them to someone who knows how so they could post them here I would appreciate it. It would really suck to break an endlink or something. Plus other users could use this for future reference.

Drop me an e-mail at work and I can host them and check them out for ya....

mrios@wgi.us

priest6479
05-17-2004, 11:38 AM
OK all, I took a picture of my swaybar, here is how it should look

http://www.ep3world.com/gallery/sways/DSCF0021?full=1

yes its huge, but it gives you a good look at the way it should be.

had it on for a few months, nice tight rump and nothing has snapped yet.

priest6479
05-17-2004, 11:44 AM
P.S. when loosening these, first take a big wrench and try to loosen it, what happens it the nut gets rusted on there dan good. This will break it free,and the enlink should just spin around with the nut on it then you can use the Allen key, wrench method to remove it with ease.

Also when the nut is off the car, use a wire brush to help clean the threads along with some WD40, makes putting these back on a piece of cake.

trabadoo22
05-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the pics. Mine looks just like that as far as I can tell. Now that I've had some time to drive with them on I am hearing a slight clanking noise from the rear, or atleast I think it's coming from the rear. When I got under the car to take a look at it there is a gouge mark on the left of the rear sway bar. All that I can see that is near the gouge mark is plastic. So I don't see how anything over on that side could have caused it. On the right of the rear sway bar it seems fine and has what seems to be plenty of room with the Magnaflow exhaust. So I don't know where the noise is coming from. I'll send you some pics oogy-boogy in a little bit. Thanks for letting me send them to you. I appreciate it.

priest6479
05-17-2004, 07:07 PM
my clanking usually comes from the exhaust, only when I start it up, but lately that has stopped.

check your endlinks make sure you didnt snap one

I had that prob in my truck, she would make a loud clunk when leaning to the right.

BarracksSi
05-17-2004, 07:30 PM
For the remainder of the day that I drove mine after stripping the Allen hole on the left endlink, it clunked quite a lot. The nut, being not screwed down all the way, allowed the bar end to move, which was causing the noise. If it's screwed down tight (like it is now), it won't make any noise. That's what I'd check first, to make sure that there's no wiggle room for the bar end.

trabadoo22
05-17-2004, 08:10 PM
Ok thanks I'll check those things out tomarrow. So far I only hear the noise when leaning towards the right as well.

oogy-boogy
05-18-2004, 06:12 AM
Pics look fine. Install looks great.

Possibly the exhaust banging like others have mentioned?

A friend (fsugatorbait) had given me the tip of doubling up on the rubber exhaust hangers which helped my issues.

Other than that, did you use the supplied lube?

priest6479
05-18-2004, 06:32 AM
Yes yes the lube is crucial, prevent sqeaks and prob undue wear and tear.

trabadoo22
05-18-2004, 08:40 PM
Yep, I used the lube for the bushings then once installed I sprayed everything down with lithium grease. I didn't get a chance to look at anything today because I was too buisy. Tomarrow I should have some time though. The noise only happens when I turn hard to the left, so the car would be leaning to the right. This might mean it is hitting the exhaust because the exhaust is obviously on that side. Although everyone with the Magnaflow exhaust and the Progress sway say they don't have any problems. The noise is noticable, but not really that loud, and it sounds like metal to metal contact. I just hope it's not the exhaust because that is pretty much the only reason why I baught it. Anyways, I'll check it out tomarrow and post back what I find.

oogy-boogy
05-19-2004, 05:42 AM
Yep, I used the lube for the bushings then once installed I sprayed everything down with lithium grease. I didn't get a chance to look at anything today because I was too buisy. Tomarrow I should have some time though. The noise only happens when I turn hard to the left, so the car would be leaning to the right. This might mean it is hitting the exhaust because the exhaust is obviously on that side. Although everyone with the Magnaflow exhaust and the Progress sway say they don't have any problems. The noise is noticable, but not really that loud, and it sounds like metal to metal contact. I just hope it's not the exhaust because that is pretty much the only reason why I baught it. Anyways, I'll check it out tomarrow and post back what I find.

If it's the exhaust, try the doubled up rubber hanger trick.

trabadoo22
05-20-2004, 08:49 PM
Well I took a look under the car, the best I could without jacking it up, and everything seems fine. The exhaust looks like it has plenty of clearance, 2-3+ inches. I also tried to move it so it would hit the bar and it wouldn't really move so I don't think it is that. The endlinks look fine as far as I can tell. I've heard some people getting some clanking noise from the front sway bar and the cat, but it doesn't sound like it is coming from there. I will have to see if my friend can look at it sometime soon.

SoCaLep3
06-10-2004, 10:52 AM
can somone repost the pic plz, cus im afraiod i may have installed it wrong too

priest6479
06-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Here ya go!

Holy freaking huge ass picture batman

http://www.ep3world.com/gallery/view_photo.php?full=1&set_albumName=sways&id=DSCF0021

SoCaLep3
06-10-2004, 11:23 AM
thanx man, i think that site wasnt workign erlier or somting

priest6479
06-10-2004, 11:40 AM
I upgraded my gallery, for some reason it changes all the links.
unsure why they went ahead and did that either, makes no sense.

trabadoo22
06-10-2004, 08:58 PM
While the site was down I figured out what was causing the noise. The bolts from the bushing brackets were coming lose, allowing the lower tie bar to move. I'm positive this is what's causing the noise because I can see gouge marks where it has moved. I tightened the bolts up to spec three times now and I still get the noise. I'm not really sure what else to do now. Maybe this weekend I will re-install it just to see if it helps.