PDA

View Full Version : Cat question

SubliminalSi
10-18-2002, 02:33 PM
I had a muffler put on a while ago and i was planing on getting a high flow cat but the muffler place i went to said that theres a wire that hooks up somewhere and that they have never seen it. The wire was on the stock cat and he suggusted nopt messing with it...anyone have a highflow cat??

fishboy
10-18-2002, 02:37 PM
the guys on clubrsx are putting testpipes on their cars and have slots for the sensors.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/mtbr/passion/pictures/MVC-008S.jpg

Ritteri
10-18-2002, 05:37 PM
I take it those are custom "1 off" straight pipes?? Or can they be ordered? Who fabricated them? What are the results thus far?? How about a link to the thread?

steve_jones
10-19-2002, 04:00 AM
Does doing that not cause the engine mamagment light ot come on ?, if not, wooohooo Ill get one made up ..

Steve

SubliminalSi
10-19-2002, 01:09 PM
I dont quite get it..how does this tell me anything about the cat?..*mechanically retarded:confused: *

steve_jones
10-20-2002, 01:53 PM
simple, its gone, replaced by some un restricted pipe work, good few HP I would say ...

Steve

MickeCTR
10-23-2002, 12:10 AM
What about the sensors? Can I just trow the cat away, take a pipe and drill 2 holes i it and then put the sensors in th eholes?

Will this work? or will the ECU scream?

Jpax
10-23-2002, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by MickeCTR
What about the sensors? Can I just trow the cat away, take a pipe and drill 2 holes i it and then put the sensors in th eholes?

Will this work? or will the ECU scream?

well all the cat is doing is reducing emishions.

the sensors read eather O2 in the exhaust and other crap that i can't remember right now, but when you strate pipe it it changes the exhaust and in turns changes the way the sensors read to the ecu. making the out put of the exhaust more Efficient in turn ecu see that and says hey i can run more O2 and fuel. (in laymens turms)

I wouldnt throw away the cat , you are going to have to pass some emmishion laws when you have your car checked. that mean s putting it back on.

but yea you can just replace the cat with a strate pipe. then your car is a race car, vroom vroom............:p

MickeCTR
10-23-2002, 02:43 AM
But the ECU would scream and then the car would go tooo rich i

Jpax
10-23-2002, 03:14 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MickeCTR
[B]But the ECU would scream and then the car would go tooo rich i

MickeCTR
10-23-2002, 04:03 AM
Ok... but I must have the sensors plugged in right?

Do i understand u correct... you think that this would work?

Just trow the cat away and go with a pipe and the sensors in it.. then the ECu would change itself to apply to the new settings?

Jpax
10-23-2002, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by MickeCTR
Ok... but I must have the sensors plugged in right?

Do i understand u correct... you think that this would work?

Just trow the cat away and go with a pipe and the sensors in it.. then the ECu would change itself to apply to the new settings?

Don't throw away the cat, because at some point you are going to have to pass state emmishions laws, but here

http://www.testpipe.com/htmlsite/testpipe.asp?item=Honda

They do it all the time, and yes the ECU will change to accomdate for the changes in the exhaust. Look at when you drive form 0 ground feet, to the moutains, the air is thinner in the moutains so the car has to change a little for it to run Properly. It changes a little to acomadate for the lack of "air" (generaly speaking) by leaning he fuel out, it dose this via sensors, in the intake and throttle body, and exhaust, for it to run Properly i would leave the sensors in the same "general" location.

SubliminalSi
10-23-2002, 01:22 PM
But its like a $2000 fine if you mess with a cat here. I have to have one thats put on by a muffler shop, that sux! So no one has a high flow cat?

fishboy
10-23-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by SubliminalSi
I dont quite get it..how does this tell me anything about the cat?..*mechanically retarded:confused: *

sorry, i posted that pick because if people can stick a test pipe on their k20 you shouldn't have a problem putting a highflow cat in. i think you just have to make sure you have slots for your sensors.

is there a hi flow cat out already? or are they mostly universal? if not you can get a testpipe and put the cat shield thing over it. or you can buy another one from honda and gut it out. i would do number 2, i'm not sure if you can get a testpipe that can hold that outer shield part.

MickeCTR
10-23-2002, 11:10 PM
Yeah I know its very high fines for doing this but in Sweden we dont have our new car checked for first after 3 years at the local car checking system u know...

I havent find a racing cat for the CTR yet but if u do, please let us know.

Do u think that the sensors are gonna scream: Hey man u have trown your cat away now i will tell the ECU to make the car go rich and lighten the engine lamp!

Or

Hey man cool, now u have trown the cat away im telling the ECU to mix this setings and then u will have some increase in power, yeeaaahh.....

What do u think?

What does the sensors read?

02-sir
10-24-2002, 09:16 AM
I would check out clubrsx.com if I were you. There are a few people who have doe this and can give you first hand knowledge with regard to a test pipe on the K20A2.

doh, I mean "done this"