PDA

View Full Version : Best Synthetic combo for Northern IL?

siver-SI
05-13-2004, 06:54 PM
I am realy thinking of going over to full synthetic by my next oil change at 14,000 miles. First thing I want to change is the trans fluid and then I want to do the oil change. I am do in about 2,000 miles. I contacted Royal Purple about the trans and they are saying that the 21 racing fluid would be good or the 30-10w fliud. What I am wondering being in northern IL what would be the best engine and trans fluid combo since I am reading that many company's make diffrent weight oils.

I have heard that Moble 1 is good and that is what is used in most imports so I am thinking RP or Moble for my car.

mathman
05-14-2004, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by siver-SI
I am realy thinking of going over to full synthetic by my next oil change at 14,000 miles. First thing I want to change is the trans fluid and then I want to do the oil change. I am do in about 2,000 miles. I contacted Royal Purple about the trans and they are saying that the 21 racing fluid would be good or the 30-10w fliud. What I am wondering being in northern IL what would be the best engine and trans fluid combo since I am reading that many company's make diffrent weight oils.

I have heard that Moble 1 is good and that is what is used in most imports so I am thinking RP or Moble for my car.

I've got mixed feelings about Royal Purple. For the money, I feel that there's better stuff out there.

To keep it simple, I'd pick one of the following weights, which will all work fine year-round in your climate:

- 0w-20
- 5w-20
- 0w-30
- 5w-30

Which brand? There are lots of good ones, but all of the following are top notch (in no particular order):

- Mobil 1
- Amsoil
- Redline

And a filter? Anything but Fram! Some good ones:

- Wix, Carquest Premium, or NAPA Gold (same thing)
- Baldwin
- Purolator Pure One

These lists aren't exhaustive by any means, but will get you off to a good start. Finally, if you make the leap to synthetic, I'd like to note the following:

- Switching from 'regular' to synthetic (and vice versa) will NOT cause problems.

- Changing synthetic oil every 3,000 miles is an utter and complete waste of money, time, and resources. 6,000 miles is no sweat for a synthetic (unless you're pushing 500 turbocharged hp down the strip, of course).

I'm gonna stop now.

Mathman.

slc71
05-14-2004, 06:51 AM
www.bobistheoilguy.com

Check it out. I order Amsoil oil and filters by the case after reading thru his stuff.

siver-SI
05-14-2004, 04:10 PM
I am thinking I might do the Mobil 1. I am in good with a ARCA race team and they sponcer the team. I could not belive at first when I saw them using 0W oil for qualifying. That oil can take a beating too. Saw their one egine over heat and was peged at 260 for I think it was the last 20 laps and the engine was still running when the race ended. Once the engine was shut off it did not start again though.