PDA

View Full Version : Custom catback midpipe...

myeverlovinsir
10-19-2002, 01:53 PM
This morning went to get my new midpipe done....

new one...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid36/p7c9e2971283077c5d25c2bfe0e4cb52d/fd261ac5.jpg

I went with the 2-1/4" as this is the pipe size of the muff.

the rear muff connection...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid36/p3af6b1482a1f7c4e9022771dfd658544/fd261961.jpg

You can see that the rear connection is a fixed mount with the stock gasket ring,
the stock ring adapter is flanged and tough to make, but this works just fine.
(no spring tension bolts)

as you see in the stock pic...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid36/pbfae26a558cf0563cde106920cbc1843/fd261957.jpg

Here is the entire midpipe removed...(huge resonator can)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid36/p0105eda283cc67e2f54e026600ebdf45/fd261abb.jpg

What I found is that 2-1/2" is a little too large for this setup, you do lose some bottom end. I recommend 2-1/4" if you are going to do any other mods, such as a blower, turbo setup. Otherwise stay with the stock.

The increased free flow is evident at highway speed, when I take my foot off the gas the car does not dive as much, just coasts much better. The sounds are deeper towards the rear of the car and adds to the throatyness of the exhaust overall.
I should also say that I did notice my top end speed is increased after 6 grand in forth and right thru 5th. Honda has much more top end room in these engines, were just tapping the surface.

The cost was $150.00 CD. installed (cheap) also since I had the custom connectors done, I can go back to the original at any time.

For any of you wondering about the existing resonator bottleneck...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid36/p5bd4266b038d000fb7681eb7348efad4/fd261ac0.jpg

Its a straight through design with 1-3/8" ID comming out to the muff.

Hope this helps:)

TEKBRAIN
10-19-2002, 03:12 PM
I want to do the same, but with a resonator.

myeverlovinsir
10-19-2002, 03:18 PM
You may be pleasently surpised with the sounds, I had a fireball on my
last civic hatch and get the same great notes with less loudness out of this one now. I like the look of the twin tip and will
probably stay with that. A cheep mod to acomplish the same thing.
this is a sample...
audio clip (http://www.imagestation.com/video/play.html?id=4247116793) :p

TEKBRAIN
10-19-2002, 04:40 PM
I had a 5Zigen Fireball too on my SiR 2000, but I don't want to start alarm systems on the street anymore.

JSIR
10-19-2002, 06:17 PM
that looks the very same as mine, same fixed rear connection too, same price as well. Cool. I settled with 2.25" as well.

sicivic2002
10-19-2002, 08:56 PM
Is that mandrel bent. I can't really tell in the pictures. But it looks nice. I am trying to find a shop right now to do my midpipe.

myeverlovinsir
10-19-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by sicivic2002
Is that mandrel bent. I can't really tell in the pictures. But it looks nice. I am trying to find a shop right now to do my midpipe.

No, it is not mandrel bent, you will have to pay the bigger bucks
for that. The less kinks you have the better. (just overall restriction is reduced compared to stock)

note, because it is not mandrel bent, means that there are some
spots (bends) where the overall diameter is not maintained. This
can help or hinder you. ;)

JSIR
10-20-2002, 09:48 AM
mine isn't mandrel bent either, they charge $45 extra for each mandrel bend, so I went the cheaper route.

Now we've kept our stock muffler (which I like very much), the piping on the stock muffler necks down to 2 inches after the connection. With a 2.25" crush bent midpipe the bends drop down close to 2 inches which works fine with the stock muffler - same size. If I was to go with a mandrel bent pipe I would have considered a two inch pipe, maintaining two inches through the whole pipe and the muffler system. If you are going with an aftermarket muffler then you may want to do a different size pipe.

Si_Nutt
10-20-2002, 03:29 PM
Hey myeverlovin... Thanks for the info, you really need to dyno that thing now and let us know how much of a gain your getting.

JSIR
10-20-2002, 05:48 PM
Import Tuner just dyno tested a full cat back Apexi N1 exhaust and they got less than 2 whp gains, I think it was 1.3whp to be exact, I don't have the issue in front of me though. So don't expect the midpipe to give anything huge either, a couple whp would be the max. . I dyno tested the midpipe without a muffler and got 0 gains without the muffler, so the muffler is not much of a restriction. Bumping up the mid-pipe is about the best way to remove any restrictions that do exist, but the gains still won't be very large. An intake, header, and exhaust upgrade are good mods that work in unison, I think you need all three to actually get some good gains. hth.

02blksi
10-20-2002, 07:13 PM
anyone ever dyno the stock midpipe with a bolt on rear section? maybe a straight throug design muffler would be an advantage with the stock midpipe, yielding some reasonable gains. -- call me crazy but it really felt like the car got peppier with my rear section, although it could be because of my mind LOL --joe

JSIR
10-20-2002, 07:18 PM
somehow Honda got pretty good flow out of a tiny stock midpipe and even smaller resonator, don't know how they did it. I don't know what a free flow muffler would be like on the stock midpipe, why dont you dyno that setup and let us know. Id be interested in knowing.

02blksi
10-20-2002, 08:09 PM
Jsir, i think you are right, i have been procrastinating long enough. Im going to give a shop a call tomorrow and see how much they'll charge me for maybe three runs. (hopefully 75.00) no tunning just baselines, --- Ill post my results, most likely i wont be going till mid week, ill keep everyone posted! --joe

JSIR
10-20-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by 02blksi
Jsir, i think you are right, i have been procrastinating long enough. Im going to give a shop a call tomorrow and see hpw much theyll carge me for maybe three runs. (hopefully 75.00) no tunning just baselines, --- Ill post my results, most likely i wont be going till mid week, ill keep everyone posted! --joe

Good Man ! , 3 runs would be plenty, even 2 may be enough. :cool:

Si_Nutt
10-21-2002, 02:54 PM
The whole reason I want to see dyno results for Myeverlovin...s car is that he does have a header, CAI and custom mid-pipe with the stock muffler. I realize just the mid-pipe is not going to be worth much on our cars, but combined with the rest of his mods, that would be interesting. (Since I've yet to see a muffler I like for the EP yet)

JSIR
10-21-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Si_Nutt
The whole reason I want to see dyno results for Myeverlovin...s car is that he does have a header, CAI and custom mid-pipe with the stock muffler. I realize just the mid-pipe is not going to be worth much on our cars, but combined with the rest of his mods, that would be interesting. (Since I've yet to see a muffler I like for the EP yet)

NateSi just posted my dyno chart on the "Dyno Day" Thread , it represents a 2.5" midpipe (I've since gone back to a 2.25" midpipe), HP header, and K&N Typhoon SRI. I would like to see myeverlovinSiR dyno as well with his different parts. I thought he was going to the dyno shortly ?.

myeverlovinsir
12-23-2002, 03:01 PM
:D hello hondata...looks promising.