PDA

View Full Version : Painting the calipers....Opinions please :)

oogy-boogy
05-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Well, I'm hoping to get a minute to paint my calipers tomorrow. It's a silver EP with Gunmetal 16" Grids. The whole EP is a black/silver theme so I don't want any wild colors (yuk). I just want to make the calipers look better.

Opinions appreciated.......:D

Btrthnezr3
05-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Hmm...I vote silver...whichever one. It would look really nice when your rims are moving and go well with the theme. Just make sure and use some really nice high-temp paint...I can't stand it when I see brake calipers that at one time looked nice, but are all chipping and cracking now. Good Luck...and as always, We Want Pics!!!

Ep3 No.2
05-14-2004, 11:04 AM
i say u just paint em normal silver.
dont forget a coat of clear coat too =O)

esmith13
05-14-2004, 11:06 AM
flat silver or a sparkle fleck silver like the body color. Semi gloss shows dust more and makes the calipers look like plastic with plain colors like this IMO.

Eric

jimmyjames
05-14-2004, 05:11 PM
Gloss red engine/brake caliper paint.
I would think that regular paint and clear coat would turn brownish due to all the heat. Don't know.
Of the choices, I would go gloss black. Whatever you do, if you spray it on, take some time and mask what you want off and clean it with paint thinner first. I have seen it when people just spray the paint and expect the rotor to scrape off the excess, it doesn't look all that great up close.
Then again, most people won't be up close but whatever, mine are red and I think they look awesome. It has been a year since painting and I just used some degresing hand cleaner (gojo) to clean them, they look as bright as the day I painted them.

twenty02si
05-14-2004, 05:33 PM
to all u guys lookin to paint your calipers, i have advise for you. for an awesome price ($14.95) you can goto of all places wal-mart(i work there) they sell a product that kicks ass. its by dupli-color and it comes with caliper cleaner/paint/tape and everything else you need. only disadvantage is you have to actually paint it on with a brush. it takes a lot longer than spraypaint but it looks hella-nicer. the paint has ceramics in it so it lasts a long time and resists brake dust. im not sure of the colors it comes in but i did mine in red and i know they also sell yellow. but yea check it out. its worth the extra time and money.

specialblend154
05-14-2004, 05:37 PM
thats awesome, i am gonna check that out.. so you basically only need to take off your wheels and just paint it on... sounds easy enough to me

FCobra94
05-14-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by twenty02si
to all u guys lookin to paint your calipers, i have advise for you. for an awesome price ($14.95) you can goto of all places wal-mart(i work there) they sell a product that kicks ass. its by dupli-color and it comes with caliper cleaner/paint/tape and everything else you need. only disadvantage is you have to actually paint it on with a brush. it takes a lot longer than spraypaint but it looks hella-nicer. the paint has ceramics in it so it lasts a long time and resists brake dust. im not sure of the colors it comes in but i did mine in red and i know they also sell yellow. but yea check it out. its worth the extra time and money.
Hmm. Not a bad idea! I used the Folia-Tec kit to do the Mustang calipers and they came out great! Very glossy and I haven't had to touch them up or anything :)

But yeah, I would defintely get a kit like this rather than the spray on paint. It looks much nicer and will probably last a lot longer as well.

Ep3 No.2
05-14-2004, 07:12 PM
my paint came out of a spray can but i brushed it on. leaves a better finish imo. and no worries of drips. jus spray the paint into a cup and brush on. another good thing about brushing is u donthave to tape anythign off either =OP

oh yah and its a bad idea to use regular paint. u should be using high temp paint. anything above 800 is ok. but brake specific paints are best because they are resistant to oil and dirt =O)

oogy-boogy
05-14-2004, 09:52 PM
Well, thanks for all the advise everyone. I ended up going with VHT high temp silver and just finished. I did it all by hand with a paint brush. :)

Looks great IMO...

Ep3 No.2
05-14-2004, 10:04 PM
=O) pictures ?

oogy-boogy
05-15-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Ep3 No.2
=O) pictures ?

Nope.....car's dirty and the cam is at my buddies :(

badcivicsi
05-16-2004, 11:50 AM
I do mine in a high temp aluminum color! looks great, holds up well. colors only work sometimes.

oogy-boogy
05-17-2004, 09:07 AM
Here are some pics with the crappy digi at work (I know it's dirty :p):

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzk2NjQ0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzk2NjQ1NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzk2NjQ4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzk2NjUzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
Nostrils, yum.... :D
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzk2NjQ5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Ep3 No.2
05-17-2004, 09:10 AM
LOL last picture is best,
but your brakes look just like new again =O)

fsugatorbait
05-17-2004, 10:20 AM
Looks great Mel, good choice of color. How long does the paint take to dry?

oogy-boogy
05-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
Looks great Mel, good choice of color. How long does the paint take to dry?

Thanks Phil.

I believe the paint can (VHT Caliper paint) stated 3 hours for the full cure. It was dry to the touch within an hour. I let it dry overnight before driving it.

Bicho6
05-17-2004, 03:43 PM
are you guys taking you calipers off to paint them... if so is it hard to take them off??

Ep3 No.2
05-17-2004, 06:34 PM
no need to take em off.
if u scared of painting things not supposed to be paint just tape it off.

oogy-boogy
05-18-2004, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by Ep3 No.2
no need to take em off.
if u scared of painting things not supposed to be paint just tape it off.

I did mine with the calipers on as well. It was very easy and I had a 99% success rate (1 tiny little goof that I already fixed. My dog hit my hand while I was painting :)).