PDA

View Full Version : Anyone played with the cam timing???

myeverlovinsir
10-19-2002, 02:21 PM
A friend at the honda dealer has been running these AEMs on his i-vtec...
http://www.impactparts.com/aemgear.jpg

He tunes with these, but is he not defeating the I in I-vtec??
Thought this(i-vtec) was regulating valve opening and timing? Correct me if I am wrong. tks

Oh, and has anyone tried these pulleys?

http://www.impactparts.com/aempull.jpg

My Ever Lovin SIR...:p

JSIR
10-19-2002, 06:34 PM
AEM cam gears will not fit 2002 SiR's, impossible, if someone told you they are running AEM cam gears on our engine they are bullshitting you. I am not aware of AEM making any cam gears for our cars yet. Toda does make some gears for the K20, but they are made to disable the VTC control of the cam timing when used with bigger cams. The stock controller varies cam timing up to 50 degrees which is huge, and can be dangerous when using big cams, that is why Toda disables the mechanism. I guess you can install one on the exhaust cam and play with that a bit, but probably not much to be found and you wouldn't want to vary the timing by much if the intake cam is being moved around in big increments by the ecu.

On the AEM power pullies, we don't have a power steering pump, so you wouldnt need that pulley, you could use one on the alternator from the RSX set that is released. Perhaps Unorthodox has one for the crank pulley which would provide the largest gains out of any pulley on the engine. They may have released one for the RSX which may fit our engine too. May want to check with them. hth.

myeverlovinsir
10-19-2002, 07:41 PM
Just as I suspected JSIR, if the cpu is compensating 50 degrees
already, there is no need for adj. cam pulleys. on the intake. I
wonder if he was speaking about an older vtec engine that
was not intelligent? and would require such mods? It seems that
the prelude was vtec, but not i-vtec?AEM trutime (http://www.impactparts.com/aemengine.htm)

and thanks for the info...

JSIR
10-19-2002, 07:48 PM
well the 99 SiR's work fine with AEM cam gears, there was a SOHC Civic with a form of vtec in past years that could use AEM gears as well. But not our Civics.

myeverlovinsir
10-19-2002, 08:27 PM
Very good, I will make my mods to the chip. Thanks again.

GP Si
10-19-2002, 10:02 PM
'' I guess you can install one on the exhaust cam and play with that a bit''
If i am correct our i-vtec is only on our intake cam tuning the exhuast cam won't really do anything

myeverlovinsir
10-19-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by GP Si
'' I guess you can install one on the exhaust cam and play with that a bit''
If i am correct our i-vtec is only on our intake cam tuning the exhuast cam won't really do anything

ok, if the exhaust ports are part of I-vtec, this can all be adjusted.
In the cpu. If not then an exhaust port adj. pulley is in order.

yomamaInMySi
10-22-2002, 06:04 AM
You can't install those gears on the K20 engines because they are driven with a chain and not with a belt like the B16 engines for example. Yes fellas we have a chain, no need to worry about changing it at 50K, you can go all the way to 100K. Sorry to burst your bubble.

sniperSI
10-27-2002, 06:32 PM
The i-vtec The Intelginece is in the intake, it varies that cam 50 degress, not exhuast only rsx has the vtc on there exhaust as well.

That one doods right, adjustable cams are for the older si's , they work great, imagine adjusting the cam gear 5 degrees, on our si,s then that ivtec kickin up another 50, 55 degrees may = bent valves train