PDA

View Full Version : Input from ep owners with kids.

Halo
05-15-2004, 04:47 PM
We're expecting our first child in a couple of months.

Just wonder how many ep owners here have kids, especially infants?

Do you find the ep to be inconvinent?

Thanks.

penguin
05-15-2004, 04:55 PM
Congrats on the baby. My wife has an Xterra and I have an EP3. As far as room, it's not as much as my old 626 (http://www.cardomain.com/id/pengi_) but it's not bad. For instance, I can take me, my wife, my daughter (she is 15 months so she has a bigger car seat than you'll use), a large diaper bag and our big Jeep jogging stroller and still have some room in the hatch and a spare seat in the back. It's not too tight, but no where near the Xterra. I wouldn't mind going on 200 mile roadtrips like this, but I wouldn't bring anyone else with. Hope this helps.

Halo
05-15-2004, 05:06 PM
You have a Jeep stroller, nice!!

I agree, the ep is roomy inside. Does getting the baby in and out of the car troublesome?

BlkDeathSi
05-15-2004, 05:47 PM
It can be a little awkward at times, especially at first, as far as placing and removing the carrier goes, but within a few weeks, if not sooner you become adept to the intricacies of getting the carrier in and out.

All in all, I have no complaints.:D

kidXStreme
05-15-2004, 05:52 PM
well i have a little brother 15 months old. its not incovinent. Youll get used to it.

mkhutch
05-15-2004, 06:12 PM
I have a 4 month old and a 3 year old. So yeah the back seat has a booster seat and a carrier/car seat. I believe there is plenty of room back there and fairly easy to get them out. Actually as far as space between the 2 seats I have more room than in my wife's Accord. Congrats on the child and you should have no problem.

Mickey
05-15-2004, 06:28 PM
Congratulations. I have 3 (10 yr old, 2 yr old and a 9 month old baby. Its a little kinda hard specially with the car seat but I am sure you will get used to it. I seldom take them in my ep. I also have a Honda Pilot for the family, unless sometimes Im so tired to change car I use the EP. Both cars have car seats though.:D

civic si hb
05-15-2004, 06:35 PM
first off congrats and welcome to parent hood. my son is now 3 1/2 and i've had my ep3 for 13 months and it's not bad at all. i have more room in my back seat than my friends 01 ITR and my other friends 01 rsx-s. i have had to put a pessenger in the rear seat and most people are surprised how much room is in that back seat.

JSIR
05-15-2004, 06:35 PM
I sold my EP to get a four door car because it was getting to be too much work with our son, after 2 years of age. It was perfectly fine for the first year, somewhere around two years of age I was finding it more bothersome as they gain serious weight. I dont have a good back at the best of times so by that age I was finding it hard to get in and out of the back seat with a child in the arms. I guess everyone is different but it was getting tough for me. Once my son was in the seat there was lots of room and my wife fit beside him pretty good (with him in the centre position).

I thought the hatch was pretty short on space once you got a full size carriage in there. I always preferred to take the small thrifty stroller out when possible as it was easier to fit and remove with other stuff in the hatch. The full size carriage took up much more space.

Once I switched to my new four door vehicle I found it much more easier to get in and out of the rear seat, my back thanks me everyday, its a huge difference in that repsect. My trunk is also huge and swallows any baby stuff with ease, so I found a huge noticeable difference after the switch - hatch vs. trunk. I loved my EP but it wasnt the best family car IMO. I miss the EP some days but at least I got myself a 155 mph family car to take its place instead of doing the dumbass minivan thing. I think life is over once you get a minivan. ;).

Halo
05-15-2004, 06:51 PM
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

Jsir,
I too, have a messed up back. That was my main concern. Good thing my wife drives a Civic sedan.:D

JSIR
05-15-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Halo
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

Jsir,
I too, have a messed up back. That was my main concern. Good thing my wife drives a Civic sedan.:D

Yeah so you will know what I mean. It wasnt bad the first 1-2 years when they are fairly light weight little creatures. But my son was over 30 lbs when I sold the EP, and it was a chore at that weight with the leverage thing. It is so much easier putting them in the outboard positions (driver or passenger rears) but I am always concerned about side impacts and the centre being so much safer in that respect. I still keep him in the centre position with my 4 door car.

Best of luck with the newborn, it's a great experience. You'll soon be driving like an old man like the rest of us once the little one arrives ;)

Type X
05-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by JSIR

Once I switched to my new four door vehicle

mang
what did ya get

pm me ;)

myeverlovinsir
05-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Type X
mang
what did ya get

pm me ;)

OLD news, SRT-4

stpkenton
05-16-2004, 09:44 AM
i have a 99 accord for the long trips, but my wife seems to have no problem with the car seat in the ep..and my son loves the exhaust tone:D

Jay H
05-16-2004, 11:23 AM
Halo:

I have a 4 year old (almost 5 now) and a 2 year old. Both kids can climb in their car seats quite well at this age (the 4 year old has zero problems) so we don't really have to strain our backs at all. The only thing that is tough about a smaller car like the EP is that (depending on the child seat you get), their legs touch the back of the front seats. Not a huge deal if they have clean shoes (or you don't care about clean interiors) and you don't mind them nailing the back of your seat while driving once in awhile.

Otherwise, they will fit just fine in the back of these little cars. When I bought my EP, I had my wife and two kids with me at the Honda dealership. Everyone at the dealership stared at us as we packed the two kids (with child seats) into the EP. I'm sure they never thought two kids would fit, but it was just fine.

Life does end when you love cars and are forced to by a minivan (which we refuse to do!). We still pack both kids in the back of my wife's Camaro too and they fit just fine in that thing. Kids are small. It's the darn car seats that are so bulky. Choose a slender seat when your looking for car seats. There IS a differnce.

Congrats on the new baby that is due!

Jay
03 Si

Grookes
05-17-2004, 07:52 AM
I have a 17-month-old, and I've had my EP since my daughter's birth. The original idea was for my wife's Forester to be the family car and mine would just be my transportation to work. As it ends up, though, I actually like the set up with my EP. The passenger seat slides up enough that I climb in and kneel in front of my daughters car seat while I buckle her in. I lean against the back of the passenger seat. I find it especially nice when it's raining - I can stay dry while putting her in the car. Being 6' 3", I may look a little silly, but it works just fine for me. Also, the LATCH system makes it so much easier making sure the car seat is snug. Definitely keep the EP and at least give it a try.

McGrady
05-17-2004, 08:18 AM
I have a 2 yr old boy, I make him take his shoes off when he's in the back, don't want him kickin up the back of your nice ass seat, with his muddy ass shoes...

Pir8pete
05-17-2004, 05:27 PM
ep is fine for me with my son thats going on 18 months, he watches me shift all the time :) i have noproblems getting him in and out, same with the stroller, the hatch is great for this :)

xhx
06-06-2008, 12:25 PM
When my son was born, we had an extra base for the infant seat so I stuck it in my car. We tried it out and it worked surprisingly well; there was still plenty of room on either side for our dogs (both 85 lbs.). We also have a very large stroller (Valco Runabout Deluxe) that fit in the hatch but it was snug. Now that he's hit 1.5 yrs, we're going to pick up a second car seat to put in my EP so we can use it for running around town without taking out my wife's POS Taurus wagon.

kwiksi
06-06-2008, 12:46 PM
I have a 21 mo. old. She loves riding in daddy's car. It could be a pain getting the car seat in and out, but no big deal.

03Ep3617
06-06-2008, 12:55 PM
I have a 4 month old and a 3 year old. So yeah the back seat has a booster seat and a carrier/car seat. I believe there is plenty of room back there and fairly easy to get them out. Actually as far as space between the 2 seats I have more room than in my wife's Accord. Congrats on the child and you should have no problem.

Yeah I agree, I have a 7 year old and a 3 year old. Had the EP since oldest was 4 had no problem with 2 seats in there.

Congrats with baby :mbiggrin:

QDRHRSE
06-06-2008, 01:45 PM
I have a 6 month old and a 2 year old. I've never put them in the EP. I have a F150 Super Crew that he family travels in. Around town we use my wifes BMW. I would use the EP to haul the kids around if I had to but I wouldn't feel as secure. If my EP got hit by something as big as my truck it would be bad news. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I love my EP but it's my commuter car only.

QUEEN
06-08-2008, 12:27 AM
I have pretty grown nephews. The EP is convenient now that they are bigger and know how to crawl in and out themselves. I don't even want to think about taking in a carseat in and out of the EP.