PDA

View Full Version : JRSC with no other mods?

bobdobbs
05-15-2004, 08:39 PM
It seems like everybody with a JRSC also has i/h/e. Does anybody have JUST a JRSC? Is that a bad idea? I'm not crazy about any of the aftermarket intakes and exhausts, but might do a header. Before I spend money, I want to have a plan, though. My goal is a faster daily driver that will kill my co-worker's Cooper S, but that's about it. Has to meet CARB and require NO tinkering once installed. Any advice? Help out an old dude. ;)

anjapower
05-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Hmm....You would be sort of limited because you don't want an intake, but I say if you get a shorty header and a midpipe, you should be at 175ish whp. That equates to around 205 horses. You'll still be CARB legal, and very reliable.

So as long as your buddy with the Cooper doesn't get the works package, you should be able to beat him;)

For someone who just wants a nice kick in performance w/o a lot of tinkering around, JRSC is perfect. Its just when you want to start upping the boost/go faster that the problems start to appear. I think the only additional maintenance you might have to do is keep an eye on the belts and replace them every so often.

bobdobbs
05-15-2004, 09:30 PM
I've got three Fiats, so I'm used to keeping an eye on belts. ;)

I really hate the idea of making my intake and exhaust louder if there's no significant gain. What would give the most performance (along with a JRSC) without increasing noise?

anjapower
05-15-2004, 09:44 PM
I'd say i/h/e are all key to getting good gains. I'd start with an intake though. You're gonna leave bottlenecks if you only open up certain parts for airflow.

How about getting the Comptech Icebox? They are very quiet for intakes. I doubt you'd be able to hear one of those over an S/C whine. If you get a shorty header and bigger midpipe mated to the stock muffler, you'd have significant gains over a JRSC'ed ep w/ no other mods, and your car will stay pretty quiet.

amctmg
05-15-2004, 09:45 PM
I would go with just a header if you don't want it to be louder. That would let the head breathe better and create the most gain with the SC and still be quiet. And just drop a K&N in the stock airbox. Sleeperdobbs :angel:

bobdobbs
05-15-2004, 10:17 PM
Thanks, guys. Great ideas all.

ALCT
05-15-2004, 10:24 PM
JRSC instructions recommend you improve the air flow to the engine. It is not good for the charger to pull hard to get air. Drop in KN sounds good. I feel the same way about increased sound from i/h/e but luckily my setup ended up being great, not loud at all even 80mph highway driving.

bobdobbs
05-15-2004, 11:19 PM
So you're happy with the setup? I.e., if you had to do it all over, would you or would you do something else?

oogy-boogy
05-16-2004, 05:24 AM
As far as the intake, why not just do the Hondata mod to the OEM box and then throw in a good filter like others have mentioned?

Click here! (http://www.hondata.com/kseriesairboxmod.html)

Also, a 2 1/4" mid-pipe with resonator will help free up the restrictive flow as well as keep it quiet.

A shorty header will also do the flow some justice.

A combo of those 3 items + JRSC will keep you rollin and in a quiet manner ;)

mhx
05-16-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by anjapower
Hmm....You would be sort of limited because you don't want an intake, but I say if you get a shorty header and a midpipe, you should be at 175ish whp. That equates to around 205 horses. You'll still be CARB legal, and very reliable.

So as long as your buddy with the Cooper doesn't get the works package, you should be able to beat him;)

For someone who just wants a nice kick in performance w/o a lot of tinkering around, JRSC is perfect. Its just when you want to start upping the boost/go faster that the problems start to appear. I think the only additional maintenance you might have to do is keep an eye on the belts and replace them every so often.

whats the works package for the coopers? more boost?

02SilverSiHB
05-16-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by mhx
I believe it may be just bolt ons...it actually helps the gains a lot on that car.

02SilverSiHB
05-16-2004, 08:06 AM
then again, it says the work package is

and will include a reconfigured cylinder head with improved port flow, uprated Eaton supercharger with a new pulley design for more spin and higher horsepower, and special engine electronics that optimize power output. A stainless steel sport exhaust system with parallel flow and low back-pressure system gives the exhaust throaty note as it exits twin chrome exhaust tips. The John Cooper Works package promises a 6.7-second 0-60 mph time and 140-mph top speed, and carries a factory warranty, regardless of whether it is installed when the car is purchased or added later. .

anjapower
05-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by mhx

new head, more boost, freer flowing exhaust. output bumped from 163 to 200hp.

ALCT
05-16-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
So you're happy with the setup? I.e., if you had to do it all over, would you or would you do something else?

yes I am happy with the setup, I would consider Magnaflow exhaust if I had to to it again. cheaper, dual tips, nice looking, a bit louder.

PAPITUYO326
05-16-2004, 08:12 AM
yea the works cooper is a lil track demon

anyway

like others have mentioned why dont you consider the icebox. it looks almost the same as oem and it has the functionality of a traditional intake. a 2.25 resonated midpipe will help a lil but if it gets cold where u live u might get some raspyness at higher rpms. JRSC is more than good enough to get ya that kick in the pants that you need without making it louder than Rosie O'Donnel :D

mhx
05-16-2004, 08:23 AM
i used to hate the looks of those cars.. then i saw italian job.. it made me like them alot

i wonder how they compare to our eps

02SilverSiHB
05-16-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by mhx
i used to hate the looks of those cars.. then i saw italian job.. it made me like them alot

i wonder how they compare to our eps
striaght line wise they are as fast as an ep without a supercharger...they aren't that fast, but the works kit makes it go a little faster, I've been in one before. It's definitely better in handling, but it should be since it's sooooo damn small and light. I wouldn't want one though

amctmg
05-16-2004, 12:22 PM
They are smaller but they do weigh 2700 lbs.

02SilverSiHB
05-16-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by amctmg
They are smaller but they do weigh 2700 lbs. where the hell did you come up with that? hit the wrong key... how about 2315lbs
http://research.cars.com/go/crp/features.jsp;jsessionid=SWDG2XAWGGSU5LAZGI3ZXKY?ma keid=303&modelid=5849&year=2004&myid=&acode=USB40MNC011A0&defaultSelection=true&crpPage=summary.jsp&aff=national

02SilverSiHB
05-16-2004, 12:27 PM
and the cooper s doesn't even way that much 2500 lbs
http://research.cars.com/go/crp/features.jsp?makeid=303&modelid=6848&year=2004&myid=&acode=USB40MNC021A0&defaultSelection=true&crpPage=summary.jsp&aff=national

bobdobbs
05-19-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by oogy-boogy
Also, a 2 1/4" mid-pipe with resonator will help free up the restrictive flow as well as keep it quiet.

A shorty header will also do the flow some justice.
Thanks, boogster. Is there a 2.25" midpipe a custom thing or is it available off-the-shelf from some manufacturer? If so, who? And what shorty header would you suggest?

I'm a total noob when it comes to Honda engines. This is my first and it's stock. :D

bobdobbs
05-19-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
I wouldn't want one though
Me neither. They look aight but the trunk is a joke and the Cooper S suspension is rock-hard. No thanks.

I wouldn't mind an RX-8, though. ;)

bobdobbs
05-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by PAPITUYO326
like others have mentioned why dont you consider the icebox.
Yeah, I am considering the icebox. If I can do the airbox mod and get similar results, it's a whole lot cheaper, though...

amctmg
05-19-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
and the cooper s doesn't even way that much 2500 lbs
http://research.cars.com/go/crp/features.jsp?makeid=303&modelid=6848&year=2004&myid=&acode=USB40MNC021A0&defaultSelection=true&crpPage=summary.jsp&aff=national

I was just going from what a cooper S owner told me his car weighed, Maybe he meant gvwr.

oogy-boogy
05-19-2004, 04:56 PM
Thanks, boogster. Is there a 2.25" midpipe a custom thing or is it available off-the-shelf from some manufacturer? If so, who? And what shorty header would you suggest?

I'm a total noob when it comes to Honda engines. This is my first and it's stock. :D

NP...

You may want to call up a few vendors. Before I picked up the Neuspeed, I had a vendor that was going to split up an HP exhaust system and sell me just the 2 1/4" mandrel midpipe. Be aware that you may have to have the mid pipe flange cut and rewelded in order to match up with the OEM flange.

As far as a shorty, I love my cheesy HP and it was cheap as hell :).

02SilverSiHB
05-19-2004, 05:10 PM

I'm a total noob when it comes to Honda engines. This is my first and it's stock. :D there's a company that just makes a midpipe t1r and another company for much cheaper, can't remember the last one, something like mufflertech or some shit

dchu
05-19-2004, 06:06 PM
An intake isn't really loud at all with a JRSC, atleast that's how it was on my old civic. The JRSC blocks resonance from the head. I never had the stock intake with the JRSC, but the sc whine with a shortram was slightly louder then sc with cai.

yomamaInMySi
05-20-2004, 08:44 AM
For experience you need to have an intake. I said need, because you won't see a huge different with the JR and stock box (my setup is Magna, SC and stock OEM box). The guy that did my SC installed has all kinds of crazy mods (JR, intake, exhaust etc) on his car and there is a night and day difference.

bobdobbs
05-20-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by dchu
The JRSC blocks resonance from the head.
Good point; I didn't think of that.

Originally posted by yomamaInMySi
For experience you need to have an intake.
Yeah, I'm getting that an intake makes a bigger difference with an SC than on a stock engine. Did the guy that did your install say anything about what gave him the most gains?

yomamaInMySi
05-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Good point; I didn't think of that.

Yeah, I'm getting that an intake makes a bigger difference with an SC than on a stock engine. Did the guy that did your install say anything about what gave him the most gains?

Let me see if I remember the list:

JR
Nology wires
Injen CAI
Ground wire kit
Thermal
Header
Iridium plugs
some other electrical little box (can't remember the name)

and he's making 190 something at wheels

I only have
JR
Magnaflow
K&N drop-in filter
ATS Lite comp wheels
Wilwood
Iridium plugs
Mugen suspen including the alu arms
and carbon wing gives me 2hp
:D I don't know the HP to the wheels though

redronin22