PDA

View Full Version : If you could change one thing...

02TafWhtSi
07-07-2002, 06:29 PM
Within reason and taking into account that any john doe driver could own one, what would you tell Honda to change on the new Si for the upoming model years - assuming you had the power to do this of course. Any one thing on the entire car is up for grabs.

Hondatech
07-07-2002, 06:33 PM
Better tires. Ditch the girly all seasons and put something with a lot more grip on.

SiCivic2k2
07-07-2002, 07:26 PM
How about the rims, tires, and drop they put on the limited edition Civic EX coupe?

BlazeX12
07-07-2002, 10:46 PM
kill the nasty wheel gap.. either put bigger wheels, or lower it a little. And would have liked to have the type R kit on it, spoiler and all, or at least offer it as an extra.

CleanBlackSi02
07-08-2002, 03:50 AM
Bigger wheels, stickier tires, wheel gap....gotta compete with the Se-R, 1.8, and SVT out of the factory. That's our primary weakness....at least in my opinion.

NetDragon
07-08-2002, 08:39 AM
Hey doesn't this say "Change 1 thing." But seriously. I agree, even the high end focus hatch comes with nice rims. I mean it looks like you almost HAVE to put come nice rims and tires on it and lower it ain inch or so. But, all in due time. I miss the flood lights on my Focus SE. I am eventually going to get some Type R floods, they seem to fit well. See now I am talking about changing more than one thing. Also Does anybody think the seats look really nice but there is no place to really rest your head. You need a pillow if you ever need sleep in your car for a few hours.

DynaSpeed
07-08-2002, 09:03 AM
I miss the flood lights on my Focus SE. I am eventually going to get some Type R floods, they seem to fit well YOU HAVE FLOOD LIGHTS ON YOUR CAR! :D That's pretty funny. When I'm off-roading in the forest with my EP, I usually strap on the overhead Hellas!! :D

p.s. - do you mean fog lamps?

SBC31
07-08-2002, 09:33 AM
Bring back the Double-Wishbone front suspension like the older Civic's. Rumour has it that this will make it to the next gen Civic (2006), but they should have brought it back with 02 Si.

Mechanic
07-08-2002, 04:33 PM
Change on thing? You mean other than bringing in the CTR? If that's off the table, then I vote for the 17" alloys from the CTR.

xlr8
07-08-2002, 05:30 PM
the engine, for the jdm itr engine

NetDragon
07-09-2002, 07:30 PM
FLOODS, FOGS Blah!!!! YES FOGS! DO you need to change out the plastic thing that goes around the front air dam to install "FOGS" ? Thanks,

:p

Az02Si
07-09-2002, 08:09 PM
another 15hp.That would make me quite happy.Cars heavier than ever,with the same amout of HP....I dont get it...

SiCivic2k2
07-10-2002, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Az02Si
another 15hp.That would make me quite happy.Cars heavier than ever,with the same amout of HP....I dont get it...

Why do you think it's heavier than ever? I weighed mine at the track and it only weighed 2600lbs. A friend of mine with a '99 Si weighed his and it weighed 2550. I don't think that 50lbs makes much of a difference.

BestMix
07-10-2002, 07:46 AM
I'll take a 6th gear!

SiCivic2k2
07-10-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by BestMix
I'll take a 6th gear!

Good idea! Never thought about that!

Az02Si
07-10-2002, 12:56 PM
2600 huh? for some reason i dont believe that,but hey thats just me.Then why is the curb weight listed at 2744 everywhere?

02TafWhtSi
07-10-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by BestMix
I'll take a 6th gear!

I'd have to agree with this more than anything else. Oh why, oh why didn't Honda give us that sweet 6-speed...

SiCivic2k2
07-10-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Az02Si
2600 huh? for some reason i dont believe that,but hey thats just me.Then why is the curb weight listed at 2744 everywhere?

I guess the weigh station at my track could be off a little bit, but not by 144lbs. It's pretty accurate.

Mechanic
07-10-2002, 04:27 PM
Hummmm. Tough choice. More hp, six-speed or 17" alloys.
I'll go with the 17" alloys if I can't have all three (i.e., a CTR).

Now, you gonna ask me why? The six-speed wouldn't change the Si model much. Those who voted for that may not realize that the six-speed tranny doesn't have a higher sixth gear. In other words, it's not an overdrive ratio, so the engine RPM wouldn't be reduced at speed. To the contrary, the idea behind the six-speed is to give the driver more ways to keep the RPM up when mated to the 200 hp motor.

More hp? The 200hp motor without the six-speed would be a real chore to keep on the cams. Nah, that's not a good option.

So, I opt for more rubber on the Si. It would also look a lot better.

iamBT
04-09-2011, 09:11 PM
i'll throw in a vote for a k20a (type R) motor instead of the a3.. the low redline kinda sucks!

02TWSI
04-09-2011, 09:25 PM
This....was a thread from 2002

RedSiBaron
04-09-2011, 09:55 PM
GOD DAMN ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF :mmad:

im going to write this to finish this thread off without a fuck'd zombie finish :mbiggrin:

well let me lay it out...me and my car designer friends have sat around for the last few years since i bought my ep in the fall of 06. many a drunken night, or should i say, influenced night, we sat around and discussed the ep. mostly being that it was the most interesting car in the parking lot behind our house. mind you, when i bought it, it was stock, but slowly became the car it is today.

we have agreed the original body design (type r) of the car is essentially perfect, though the USDM bumpers destroyed the type r look, that my car currently has, though we agreed that the body parts were not the major problem with the car. honda did a great job with the looks, the only goofy issue we couldnt agree upon was the relation of the top line of the tail lights and the bottom line of the hatch glass...i mean quite literally we were discussing the relation of reflection lines and body line proportions, car design is insane.

ANYHOOO....

we decided the major flaws of the usdm model were as such:(not in any order of importance)

-needed the larger type r hatch spoiler
-02/03 rode too high, all needed type r suspension
-all of the cars 02-05 needed the type r/type s brakes
-all of the cars 02-05 needed the type r front and rear sways
-all of the cars 02-05 needed the itr/ctr header and 2.25 midpipe

we decided that at the end of the day these were the major issues with the vehicle...sure more HP would be great, but we didnt believe that was the major issue.

the way we saw it was this...

the ep was derived from the type r as its base, and this was in fact the original car that was designed, and every trim was derived from this. More or less, the step down from the type r is the Si. in the US this translated to a premium badging. the interior was pretty much set and there was only so much you could do to pair down the interior for costs...so of course we didnt get the posh mats, but the chassis was being solely produced in the UK, so it was already an expensive vehicle...the taxes to import to the US were going to be high, so we couldnt produce multiple trims. It became a single version, the Si...Tooling is expensive, so by our logic, it was cheaper to continue to produce the UKDM and EDM type r interior, sans the details like badging, or high quality mats. Next is the bumpers, due to extremely different regulations in the US, (35mph US crash test ratings vs. 5mph EDM/UKDM ratings) we needed different bumper tooling, not to mention the addition of bumper lights. All of this equates to cost, and this cost equates to cuts...sooo, due to the market of such a vehicle of already sky rocketing costs, who do we have to market such a more expensive civic to in the us? the older generation that may have an association and appreciation of the older Si civics is the answer. they will want the more posh interior, but will require the sporty chassis and suspension of the older civics. the only difference is they may not appreciate a harsher ride. so what does honda do to sell the ep3 Si at the higher price point? They soften the suspension, add a USDM classic sloppy rear sway to induce "grandma" style understeer, and soften up the brakes to make it cheaper and more pedestrian feeling...

to CLIFFNOTE what honda did with the car, "they softened it up for a more mature market, that was no longer interested in buying a civic Si"

...best me and my friends can tell, this is the sole reason for the ep3s lack of success, its not the engine, the engine is plenty quick enough, me and my friends have watched my ep out strip modded em1s when all i had was an intake...i even blew my friends e36 m3 off the line with just koni shocks/tein springs.

ya we all want a better engine, that would be great, but thats not the major flaw of the vehicle...the flaw is that it was just not financially possible for honda to keep the high end interior and keep performance, and they choose to market to an older, UPSCALE build quality crowd to maintain the interior build quality in the US(which had never been present before in a civic) in exchange for marketing to an down-market hardcore performance crowd...

it was a gamble many are not happy about, but at the end of the day, modern civics would not have been able to move up market with their interior if it werent for the ep3...

thats the best me and my friends could figure on the usdm ep3...

:shrug:

ah well, im happy