PDA

View Full Version : Rattle in the springs!

FireFighterSI
10-20-2002, 03:52 AM
Hey guys, I installed my springs, H&Rs. They look sweet, and the car is all back togeather, but when I hit a lot of bumps or small road wear, I hear a lot of rattling. Is this normal for evryone else? It sounds like the shocks are completely compressed or something. Just woundering what everyone elses sound like. Thanks.

DynaSpeed
10-20-2002, 07:37 AM
Are you sure that you have H&R's for the 2002 Si? I was under the impression that they only make them for the 2001+ Civic coupe. (which fit, but aren't exactly engineered for the Si)

02SilverSiHB
10-20-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by FireFighterSI
Hey guys, I installed my springs, H&Rs. They look sweet, and the car is all back togeather, but when I hit a lot of bumps or small road wear, I hear a lot of rattling. Is this normal for evryone else? It sounds like the shocks are completely compressed or something. Just woundering what everyone elses sound like. Thanks.
does it almost sound like you have some coils hitting each other when you go over bumps on the road? If so, you may want to try and take the rubber stuff off your stock springs that are on the coils, and put them on the H&R coils. Just jack up your car and take the rims off. While the car is jacked up look at what coils are closer together and then slide that rubber stuff onto the coils. That may help. My progress springs came with the same type of material and said to put them on the coils because this can happen once and a while. It's nothing bad, but just annoying. Give it a try.

FireFighterSI
10-20-2002, 06:01 PM
Hey thanks a lot. I'll look at em. Another question. When you put the coils on, do you loosen the shocks all the way? I did... wasn't too sure.

Thanks Again

02SilverSiHB
10-20-2002, 07:05 PM
Hey thanks a lot. I'll look at em. Another question. When you put the coils on, do you loosen the shocks all the way? I did... wasn't too sure.

Thanks Again
What do you mean by loosening the shocks all the way to put coils on? I'm not following you. are you talking about the install?

FireFighterSI
10-21-2002, 10:19 AM
There is a hex bold on the top of the spring. You can lossen the spring so that they collapse or stiffen quicker/slower. Anyways, thats what I was talking about. Hell I might be talking out of my ass and not know what the fuck I'm talking about. But hey.... sounded good to me.

02SilverSiHB
10-22-2002, 04:41 AM
There is a hex bold on the top of the spring. You can lossen the spring so that they collapse or stiffen quicker/slower. Anyways, thats what I was talking about. Hell I might be talking out of my ass and not know what the fuck I'm talking about. But hey.... sounded good to me.
It sounds like you are talking about the one bolt on the very top of the shock it self. you have to take it off to get your spring in. and you also need to tighten it completely when you put the spring back in, or there will be too much movement for the spring and it will either move around, or come out of the shock assembly

02SilverSiHB
10-22-2002, 04:42 AM
here, are you talking about the bolt in the middle of the shock in this pic:
http://www.pryor.ws/honda/pics/HRSprings03.JPG

HondaMan
10-22-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

here, are you talking about the bolt in the middle of the shock in this pic:
http://www.pryor.ws/honda/pics/HRSprings03.JPG

Where have I seen that pic before? hehe ;)

BTW, you must have gotten the H&R springs that are not meant for our cars. Last I heard H&R wasn't coming out with springs for our cars till early next year (sooner or later). I have H&R springs on in the pic above, but replaced them with Progress springs cause the H&R springs were making noises no matter what I did...in other words they were not working out. My Progress springs are working out much better!