PDA

View Full Version : driving a RHD car

ToingToing
05-17-2004, 09:23 AM
is it that hard driving a right hand drive car? how's the gas/clutch/brake positioned? is it the same as to the LHD ones?

the JigGa mAn
05-17-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by project: JDMEP3
is it that hard driving a right hand drive car? how's the gas/clutch/brake positioned? is it the same as to the LHD ones?

just move everything from left to right... gas would to the far right then the brake in the middle and the clutch to the left next to the center..it would be weird at frst...but after a while im sure youd get the hang of it...i think shifting is what would be weird

Spoon92
05-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Everything is the same, except you shift with your left hand. Shift pattern is the same, pedals are in the same order, etc.

the JigGa mAn
05-17-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Spoon92
Everything is the same, except you shift with your left hand. Shift pattern is the same, pedals are in the same order, etc.

1st gear would be where 5th is right now..and so on...

Makross
05-17-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by the JigGa mAn
1st gear would be where 5th is right now..and so on...

Wrong! I drove a RHD EG6 and its the same pattern as the US no difference. After driving the RHD it feels like it has alot more room than a LHD

the JigGa mAn
05-17-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Makross
Wrong! I drove a RHD EG6 and its the same pattern as the US no difference. After driving the RHD it feels like it has alot more room than a LHD

oops....there ya go then i stand corrected

why is 1st gear so far away? i think that would feel weird

downhil
05-17-2004, 10:58 AM
drive-thru's suck in rhd.

esmith13
05-17-2004, 11:01 AM
Not if your in the country the RHD car is sold in! ;)

Eric

Makross
05-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by the JigGa mAn
oops....there ya go then i stand corrected

why is 1st gear so far away? i think that would feel weird

actually it doesnt feel weird at all...if 5th gear was 1st gear then it would be hella wacked out...

Heitzke
05-18-2004, 07:54 PM
I bet you'd have a horrible blind spot while getting on the highway. I can see that being very akward.

esmith13
05-18-2004, 07:56 PM
I would think merging on the right side as is normal would be easier. the "passanger side" side view would have a wider angle view of the right lane than if you were in a LHD car and looked out the "driver side" mirror with our narrow angle due to proximity to the mirror itself.

just my opinion based on one or two left lane merges I have in my area...

Eric

BSEVEER
05-18-2004, 08:25 PM
Making a left turn from a left turn lane without a green arrow would be a real bitch too because you wouldn't be able to see oncoming traffic.

esmith13
05-18-2004, 08:32 PM
I dunno guys, IMO anything needed to be seen on the left side while in a RHD car would be easier to see since the left a-pillar is not directly obstructing view.

Then again, I always drive using the "look ahead" approach used by autocrossers so your experience may vary...

Eric

ToingToing
05-18-2004, 10:17 PM
thnx...good info.

penguin
05-18-2004, 10:29 PM
It's not that big of a deal after a week or so. When I first moved to Japan I was all freaked out over it, but then I learned to drift RHD and owned that way! The only wierd thing was when I flew to Guam for a weekend. Back to LHD. Talk about forgetting which side of the road to drive on!!

SIxtasy
05-18-2004, 11:07 PM
Its not bad man. R34 was the best Driving car I've driven. In case your wondering for a EP3 RHD conversion. The front clip will cost about $8000. Labor is extra unless you were gunna do it yourself. That was my plan for my car but they want ridiculous amounts of money for EP3 Type R Clips. Laterz

BSEVEER
05-18-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by esmith13
I dunno guys, IMO anything needed to be seen on the left side while in a RHD car would be easier to see since the left a-pillar is not directly obstructing view.

Then again, I always drive using the "look ahead" approach used by autocrossers so your experience may vary...

Eric

As far as making a left is concerned, it's not about the a pillar being in the way, it's about being on the wrong side of the car to see oncoming traffic. Even in a LHD car, sometimes you have to start to turn a little bit to be able to see. I've done it once a long time ago and if I had to drive a RHD car again, I'd rather make 3 rights than a left.;)

esmith13
05-19-2004, 04:48 AM
Aaahhhh, now I see what u mean about what u couldn't see....

... Uh, yeah - got that right about the left - um right yeah.

:D

Eric

krnboy817
05-24-2004, 10:40 PM
well i think right hand drive is more comfortable... feels akward at first but being in new zealand for couple of months got me used to it and lhd back here got me confused when i came back...

is it legal to have RHD here in U.S.? cuz i would really like to go back to it rather than have LHD... plus not many people have those either.

mental
05-25-2004, 05:27 PM
yeah everything is the same... shift pattern, pedals etc... except for the lights and turnsignal and all that... its switched around... it doesnt matter where you go in the world turn signals will always be closest to the door....

turbo15psi
06-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by krnboy817
well i think right hand drive is more comfortable... feels akward at first but being in new zealand for couple of months got me used to it and lhd back here got me confused when i came back...

is it legal to have RHD here in U.S.? cuz i would really like to go back to it rather than have LHD... plus not many people have those either.

NO its illegal in the us to have at RHD car.. they have been trying to catch the mailtrucks for years now but there sneaky...:D

esmith13
06-09-2004, 09:33 AM
heh, mail trucks are "above the law"....

That always made me laugh when i thought about it...

Eric

Type-R-Steve
06-09-2004, 10:32 AM
My Type-R Civic is RHD as i'm in the UK, and it's the only RHD car i own! I've been driving LHD since i got my license at 17, as my dad had a few american cars and no UK RHD cars.

I never knew it was illegal to have RHD in the US. So what happens with the RHD Skylines? As they didn't do a RHD Skyline did they?

mdoyle
06-09-2004, 10:40 AM
RHD is not illegal in the U.S. You just have to go through many many different things to be able to have the car registered and insured.

Ep_Hatch 03
06-24-2004, 07:18 AM
So the shifting pattern is the same as our cars? :confused:

Makross
06-24-2004, 07:38 AM
sure is buddy

Ep_Hatch 03
06-24-2004, 12:09 PM
sure is buddy

Thank You

03silverEP
06-24-2004, 01:35 PM
shift pattern is the same,
also the pedals are the same-> left-(clutch/brake/gas)-right

Ep_Hatch 03
06-24-2004, 01:57 PM
Cool....Well i think i can drive a RHD car now...LoL Prolly not.

johnnydanger
06-24-2004, 02:38 PM
man i shift with my left hand, cause my right arm's paralyzed... i ONLY wish i had an rhd ep... :'(