PDA

View Full Version : My car died!!!

Lucid Moments
05-17-2004, 06:34 PM
But its going to be fixed.

The A/C had been on the fritz, and it had been making a funny, almost gargaling(sp) sound at idle.

So I'm most of the way to work this morning and the car stalls on me at a stoplight. It craked back up, but whenever it went to idle it would cut out again. It was less than 1/2 a mile to work so I coaxed it there, get out and there is smoke coming out of the hood. I pop the hood, and am trying to figure out where the smoke is coming from the belt snaps (with the engine off at this point). I have the car towed to the local Honda dealer.

If you haven't guessed it already the a/c compressor died and messed everything up so that the a/c pulley wasn't turning and that burned up the belt.

Thank god they are going to cover it under warranty, otherwise it would have been $1,400+. They say they hope to have it back to me after work tomorrow.

evilep3
05-17-2004, 06:41 PM
damn dood sorry about the car...
honda is really working on loosing their followers i swear..

I am starting to loose more and more faith every day. I am gonna need some breakthrough to redeem it.

hope everything works out for ya!

ep3ster
05-17-2004, 06:41 PM
wow that sux...
yea good thing they'll cover it
otherwise it would just blow ballz

Peking
05-17-2004, 06:43 PM
Damn Mike that sucks, great that you were so close to work and they are going to fix it. They say why the AC stopped working?

Lucid Moments
05-17-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Peking
Damn Mike that sucks, great that you were so close to work and they are going to fix it. They say why the AC stopped working?

Yea they say the compressor burned up and that sent shards of metal through the whole system which messed up the clutch on the compressor pulley and so on.

Tenacious G
05-17-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by mlkelley68
Yea they say the compressor burned up and that sent shards of metal through the whole system which messed up the clutch on the compressor pulley and so on.

sorry to hear about the car man.

besides the gargling sound right before it crapped out on you, was the compressor making any other funny noises?

Lucid Moments
05-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Tenacious G
sorry to hear about the car man.

besides the gargling sound right before it crapped out on you, was the compressor making any other funny noises?

No, it wasn't making any other noises, it wasn't blowing cold air so I knew something was wrong, but I thought it was just out of refrigerant from a leak or something.

foilpan
05-17-2004, 07:28 PM
that happened to my '91 si in rush hour boston traffic. luckily, i stopped when i saw smoke coming from the engine. there was a flatbed tow truck a few cars behind me, too. he just swerved in front of me and picked up my car. luckily, i shut it down before there was any real damage. a bearing seized or something, so it wasn't so bad.

i hope the repairs don't take too long? it's under warranty, right? driving it that extra half mile might've been a bad idea. good luck!

:(

STP03BlueSI
05-17-2004, 08:12 PM
No, it wasn't making any other noises, it wasn't blowing cold air so I knew something was wrong, but I thought it was just out of refrigerant from a leak or something.

Our cars should not need a charge(R134A), for atleast 2years or more.:(

Sirone
05-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by STP03BlueSI
Our cars should not need a charge(R134A), for atleast 2years or more.:(

And longer.. if you are a jew with the A/C like I am.

toda_power
05-18-2004, 03:00 AM
our a/c sucks period!

Lucid Moments
05-19-2004, 03:36 PM
Got my baby back today, and man I missed her. I was driving my Dads 96 Miata, and while that certainly isn't a beater it just doesn't stand up to a mildly modded EP in any catagory.

I have to say that Milton Martin Honda in Gainesville did me right. I had heard some bad things about them, and was scared, but they are the only local Honda dealer. The car got to them a little before noon on Monday, and I picked it back up at lunch today. As far as I can tell they did a good job too. Also I didn't have to pay one thin dime for the job. They even picked up the tab for the towing, and never even mentioned my mods. Nothing I have could have possibly effected the A/C, but having heard some of the horror stories out there I was worried.

evilep3
05-19-2004, 03:47 PM
good to hear! congrats on getting the car back.

iVtec si
05-20-2004, 10:51 AM
I have to say that Milton Martin Honda in Gainesville did me right. I had heard some bad things about them, and was scared, but they are the only local Honda dealer.
Lucky you! three weeks ago they screwed me out of $115 for my a/c and all they did was fill up the refrigerant and put in some dye to "try" and find the leak. They said since the car was in a wreck that it could have lost the fluid when it sat at the body shop for 8 weeks. Even though I explained that it still worked for 4 months after I got the car back. BTW I'm still under 36K and have full warranty. They suck! just my opinion. There sales guys don't know shit about the spec's of their products either, that's just one of my "pet peevs" I guess.

glad you got your ride back bro!

peace

p.s. they almost cracked my c/f hood too, the dumb asses didn't latch it down and then locked the hood pins. :p