PDA

View Full Version : Paint looks smudged

ITZSIR2U
05-19-2004, 10:03 AM
I just picked up a black '04 ep about two weeks ago, love the car but the paint looks smudged or wavy when you look at it at different angles distorting the reflection. I was just wondering if this was normal with a black car or do I have myself a problem here. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mickey
05-19-2004, 10:10 AM
I have that same problem when I first got my EP. I brought it back to the dealership and they just buffed it and everything turned out fine.
Its just probably the car has been sitting too long in the dealership
lot until you bought it. Good luck

phatfreeza
05-19-2004, 11:45 AM
SWIRL MAKRS!!!!!!! look at the car care forum if you want to get them out yourself, but i'd do what mickey did and bring it back to the dealer :) less work for you!

Peking
05-19-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by phatfreeza
SWIRL MAKRS!!!!!!! look at the car care forum if you want to get them out yourself, but i'd do what mickey did and bring it back to the dealer :) less work for you!

Agreed and moved to care car :)

mogwai
05-19-2004, 02:35 PM
It could be swirl marks, but from the description it sounds like orange peel (a wavy texture in the paint). Unfortunately, it's pretty common nowadays and other than wetsanding (I don't recommend it), there's not much you can do about it. My Civic has it too.

If you feel it's that bad, just take it to the dealer and see what they say. Good luck.

mogwai
05-19-2004, 02:57 PM
Oh look, even better. Take a look at this Civic (yeah, it's not an EP) and look at the third and forth picture of the door. The wavyness you see in the reflections is orange peel. I hope that helps any.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=37935

ITZSIR2U
05-20-2004, 06:14 AM
Thank you guys for the suggestions greatly appreciated

Chinaboy
05-25-2004, 10:08 PM
i believe that stuff ur seeing is juss the dealership not buffing out the car out correctly... you can also imitate this by waxing your car with TOO much wax, and too much oil on the car... so no matter how much you wipe it wont' come off... a wash and a careful buff will take the wavy stuff out.

AkronSi
05-28-2004, 07:02 AM
Could be orange peal, too much wax or buffer marks. Do the marks look sort of like a hologram? If they do, then it's from someone that didn't know how to use the buffer. If that's the case they will have to be buffed out by someone that knows what they are doing a little more the the person that prepped the car.