PDA

View Full Version : Weird sound: when taking off in 1st...

sonic imperial
10-21-2002, 06:06 AM
Right as I engage the clutch and the car starts to take off, I often hear a popping sound come from the front end. I can feel it in the shifter too. It does it about 70% of the time when I take off, and I'm talking about normal, smooth take-offs. Just regular driving. You can hear it clearly with the radio off. Anyone else have this problem? I'm holding out until my 5k service before letting honda look at it.

02SilverSiHB
10-21-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by sonic imperial
Right as I engage the clutch and the car starts to take off, I often hear a popping sound come from the front end. I can feel it in the shifter too. It does it about 70% of the time when I take off, and I'm talking about normal, smooth take-offs. Just regular driving. You can hear it clearly with the radio off. Anyone else have this problem? I'm holding out until my 5k service before letting honda look at it.
No mods I take it? Strange sound indeed

sonic imperial
10-21-2002, 10:25 AM
No, no mods. I just get some popping/crunchiness right as the car starts moving, but I think it's got soemthing to do with the tranny too because I can feel it in the shifter.

Burgh
10-21-2002, 08:46 PM
I get a scratching sound when I start off in 1st gear sometimes. It doesn't happen all the time but I'm going to have it checked out anyway. We have warranties, let's make use of them.

ArcticBlueRsx
10-21-2002, 10:43 PM
it might be your axels...thats what happens when you chirp your car too much...or do a lot of drag racing....

sonic imperial
10-23-2002, 05:52 AM
Axles? That's what it seems like it could be. However that would be strange considering I've never chirped the tires. In fact I've never raced or been on a drag strip. It's just normal driving for me. I also get a pop in the clutch when engaging second after slowing down and I need to use second to speed back up. Sounds nasty sometimes. You can hear something pop or crack come from the transmission area. Guess I'll wait and see what honda says, of course they'll probably tell me they can't find anything.

siriousep
11-04-2002, 06:57 PM
I too am having the same problem. i have about 6000 on mine and it also makes the noise when I turn going to have it looked at this week.

bsdbytes
11-04-2002, 07:51 PM
My Si makes a popping or clanking sound when turning also. Usually when turning left while hitting a bump or pothole. No unusual noises when engaging the clutch though. Honda dealer could find anything wrong, but I really haven't pursued it.

02' Si 1400 miles

Mike

sonic imperial
11-05-2002, 06:51 AM
I definitely hear the suspension when making slow left turns. The right side of the car makes all kinds of weird sounds. I'm not terribly concerned about that, but the transmission pop/clunk worries me, and so does grinding 2nd. The dealer will hear all about it in a few weeks, I'm up for maintenance.

siriousep
11-05-2002, 06:59 AM
Has anyone with mods taken their car to the dealership for this noice. Mine pops usually when turning, but always in the front drivers side wheel area. I'm afraid to lower my car then take it because I don't want them to accuse the lowering springs to have caused the problem.

WHAT 5K CHECKUP?
First I have heard of it, and I have 6500 miles on mine.

sonic imperial
11-05-2002, 08:17 AM
I'm pretty sure that in the manual it says you can follow a 5k mile service interval for severe driving conditions. I don't think mine are severe but I go by that anyway just to get it done a little more regularly.

Jpax
11-05-2002, 09:55 AM
take it to the dealer and have them look at it.

OR

turn the radio up and drive it........Your car is breaking in.;)

sonic imperial
11-05-2002, 10:22 AM
You know I wondered if it's just breaking in. I won't care if that's all it is.