PDA

View Full Version : I got estimates on shaving bumper lenses...

CleanBlackSi02
07-08-2002, 05:24 AM
Before I left for the cruise I'm on I got three estimates on some work I wanted done. Since I already have scratches on my front right bumper and a crushed tailgate, (long story I'd prefer not to discuss) I got estimates for just the shaving and shaving plus the bodywork from all three shops. Two shops were local, and on my insurance policy (State Farm). The third was a place that does mostly Porsches and other high end cars....I was told by a friend that they were the best.
-1st place: Body work: 550. Body work + shaving: 1250. Just shaving: 300 per bumper. I eventually got them down to $1000 for all of the work.
-2nd place: Body work: 1025. Body work + shaving: 1550. Just shaving: ?.
-3rd place (Porsche place): Body work: 1200. Body work + shaving: 1500. Just shaving: wouldn't do just shaving. Said they'd hook me up if they were painting already.

Ouch. Well.....I think I may wait on this and do my wheels first.....it kills me driving around with scratches and a dented in hatch. ::sobs:: I think I'll be going to shop #1 though when I do!

fishboy
07-08-2002, 09:37 AM
doh! would it be cheaper just to get the bumpers painted from europe or japan or something? yeah probably not, but it can be another option. i'll just clear my lenses.

SBC31
07-08-2002, 09:57 AM
Bumpers in Europe/Japan are different then the ones in North America. They may somehow fit, but they would require some tweaking to make them fit.

See picture below that shows that our bumpers are slightly longer in order to make our cars legal here.

http://members.rogers.com/sbc31/Civic_Size2.jpg

fishboy
07-08-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by SBC31
Bumpers in Europe/Japan are different then the ones in North America. They may somehow fit, but they would require some tweaking to make them fit.

See picture below that shows that our bumpers are slightly longer in order to make our cars legal here.

http://members.rogers.com/sbc31/Civic_Size2.jpg

yeah that's what i was talking about. they look shorter and they are without those damn bumper lenses. shouldn't they just bolt right up you think? i mean our lights look the same, it is just they have different bumpers.

xlr8
07-08-2002, 05:48 PM
probably different safety equipment under the bumpers.

CleanBlackSi02
07-09-2002, 07:53 AM
Another option might be to paint over the reflectors.....I duno how that would turn out though....

fishboy
07-09-2002, 09:46 AM
hmmmm, my bumpers are a little scratched up, maybe i can have them shaved and get insurance to cover the paint...